Thread: [Ongoing] Chinese Rom Pack

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [Ongoing] Chinese Rom Pack

Hello, I am currently working on a side project with Chinese roms. During my project, I have downloaded many roms from Chinese cyberspace and I thought I would be in an excellent position to create a quality Chinese rom pack. This forum post, unless I'm told otherwise to another section of the forum, will be a hub for my progress and where I will ask questions for help. I have put this in the Nintendo DS section because I am currently cataloging the Nintendo DS roms at the moment and this seemed to be the most appropriate fit on these forums.

Currently, I have a plethora of Nintendo DS games and GBA games. And a few N64 and Gamecube roms.

With the recent frivolous and pointless DMCA take-down action from Nintendo against Emuparadise, I find myself in a inopportune moment. I originally set out to make playing video games in Chinese accessable to Chinese language learners as an alternative medium for language study. Nintendo, I think, has the biggest impact among younger gamers with series like Pokémon, Zelda and Yoshi. Moreover, these games are reltively simplistic in nature, dialouge is very digestable and easy to read, and, for some players, there is a feeling of nostalgia when going back to play these games after a long time. This which is great for language learning because the biggest problem in language learning is trying to stay focused for long periods of time.

If I decide to upload a ROM pack, can I include the bootleg Pokémon translated games, along with the other Nintendo original works? If not, when is this restricted upload period end? If I cannot, I will simply remove them from the Emuparadise releases until this is legally save for Emuparadise.

Does Emuparadise follow specific naming nomenclature, scheme or conventions? I found a very-easy-to-understand guide on GoodTools, found here, that has many different acronyms to mean different things. I'm unsure if this the preffered naming convention. I am aware there are other rom pack groups, like no-intro, but unsure if they all abide by GoodTools rules.

When I started I wasn't planning on making a ROM back so I made my own file-naming system that is more helpful for language learners in my opinion.
    Basically it goes like this:「簡體(Simplified) or 繁體(Traditional)」(Game name in Chinese) - (English Game name) like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	53025

My attempt of the GoodTools file naming system is like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	53024

If you have a recommendation of how to proceed with the right naming convention it would be very much appreciated.

Also, if you have any Chinese Roms or know of any already pre-existing Chinese rom packs please feel free to comment and link below. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Hey bingbingBOPOMOFO, welcome to Emuparadise, I'll answer some of your questions

If you decide to share ROM packs, the forbidden games can't be part of them, it would be self defeating allowing them as part of a pack but not individually. Sadly, we can't tell at this moment how long said games are going to remain banned from being shared. If there were any new regarding this extreme, we'll let you all know it.

As for naming conventions, we don't follow any particular way of doing it. So, if you go with the GoodTools one, you'll be fine.

And finally, we will leave this thread to discuss your project and I'll move it to the Nintendo Emulation section of the forums since only threads with download links are allowed where you originally created this thread. Once you've decided how to share your ROMs, create new threads in the corresponding Upload Services subforums to share the links. ROMs can be shared in packs stating what games are included in the pack. ISOs must be shared individually, which means one thread per game.

Any other doubt you have, feel free to ask. And good luck with your project!

Thanks
    EP Points

When posting links is there a policy between BT and direct links?

Thanks
    EP Points

Only direct, coded download links are allowed, no torrents if that's what you are asking.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just pulled 15gb rom pack from a chinese website, I'm re-uploading now. Do you recommend any file hositng websites? I know of mediafire and google drive.

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't recommend you any specific file hosting service but whatever you use, make sure you rename the file names so it's no too evident what they are so the links last more.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright so to my understanding this is the first time this Rom pack has been redistributed to an English website. I pulled these off a torrent I found the other day. ~15gb of NDS Chinese Rom hacks.

I will be logging and renaming the file names when I get a chance but there is over 400 roms to go through so it will take sometime. However for those that are interested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...mN2R1dRLUJLQzQ