Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS4 controller pairing issue

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS4 controller pairing issue

Hi guys,

I have just bought a really cheap second hand fat PS4, a system which I did not have tried and which story is completely unknown to me... And here comes the problem: the controller, an official Dualshock 4, does not pair with the console by no means (I have tried several USB cords, safe mode, etc.)

After some research –I am quite lost, since I did not know anything about this machine–, I have read quite often that you need an official (micro)USB cable to pair the controller, not to charge it or use it, but just to pair it. Since I just can’t verify this by now, I would like to answer you if you find this is true or if you may know something I’m ignoring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Don't know why you would need an official usb cable, I have used the official cable plus an unofficial extension from the first day I got my PS4.
    Just make sure you don't get a cable that has voltage wires only, because some cheap ones are like that (especially for portable devices).

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks, dude.

Yeah, I know it sound quite extrange, but there are a lot of people who says you need and official cable to pair the controller. I have tried even the PS Vita cable...

I just don't understand it...

How can I know which cable does not have only voltage wires? By using them to transfer data maybe?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah voltage only cables don't have the data wires so can't transfer data at all.

I guess it's possible that some cheap cables that do have data wires may not be of high enough quality (either the wires, the usb connectors or maybe both) so maybe that's why people say to use the official cable?

A common issue with DS4 is the usb port (either the socket and/or the associated circuitry) becoming intermittently or permanently useless.
    If that's an issue you can still charge via a dock/cradle which uses the other port (the accessory port which can be used for mini keyboard etc).

As I said I use an extension cable as well as the official cable.
    When I first got the console I hooked it up that way (with both cables) and started playing immediately without waiting for the controller to be charged.
    I've only ever used it wirelessly a few times...I use my DS3 controllers the same way.

The battery design of sony controllers has always pissed me off 360 (and Wii too) was always more convenient, just swap in new AA batteries when necessary. I have loads of those and AAA for various things.

Spoiler warning:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you man.

When I reach any conclussion, I will tell.

My bet is what you said: usb ports may be faulty.

Thanks again!

Edit: Is there a way to know if those USB ports are working? I have put an old MP3 player in the left one and it seems the PS4 "knows" there is something attached, but the right port does not react.
    Last edited by Cioraninvertido; 14th-July-2017 at 13:10.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I use an unofficial cable with my PS4 but it works fine to pair it up with both my Playstation TV and my PS4, the USB cable is very short though, some of my other cables do not work though to do a pair up.

It is going to be hard to test anything USB without having a PS4 pad paired up to start with so you can press the PS button, before you can do anything else
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-July-2017 at 15:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I use an unofficial cable with my PS4 but it works fine to pair it up with both my Playstation TV and my PS4, the USB cable is very short though, some of my other cables do not work though to do a pair up.

Thanks, man. So this cable issue is a thing when pairing controllers...

I will try to get an original USB cable just to see.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah it can very much be an issue and there are alot of low quality cables around and few that are just for charging and nothing else

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi again dudes,

I tried and original PS4 controller cable, I put two different keyboards to the PS4 (they both work with my PS3) and nothing worked... It is a hardware issue, so this PS4 is no longer a cheap one, hahahaha.

Anyway, thanks guys!

Thanks
    EP Points

In your first post you said the console was really cheap. Cheap enough to try fixing it yourself?

First up, are the usb ports dirty? Look very closely to see if there's any dust etc pushed back in there. If there's crap in there blow it all out with a can of air (ebay or whatever), a compressor isn't recommended as most could blow a small amount of moisture too...unless you have access to a decent quality compressor with a water trap.

Also, when you plug any usb cable in does it feel loose?
    After cleaning you could try to carefully bend the metal fingers back down just slightly, using something softer made of plastic or maybe wood.

The problem might not be the main board or even the usb board, it could just be a loose cable associated with the usb ports.
    Pull the console apart and check for a loose cable.

Other than those simple things it starts to become a bigger project. Maybe the ports could be replaced but you would need to verify that they're the actual issue (this kind of fix can be done with PS3 but I've never torn a PS4 down).

Spoiler warning:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

It was really cheap (40 euros), but I am just not very skilfull, so I have just sent it to repair to see if it compesates me.

Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah that's pretty cheap I'd have a go at trying to sort it out myself before paying to have it fixed. If I was in your situation anyway.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Believe me: no machine should be touched by me. I´m a software guy, not a hardware one.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Could be the pad, have you verified if it works on a friends PS4 ???

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

OP said he tried 2x keyboards and they didn't work.
    I've never used a keyboard with mine but I'm assuming it should work just as they do on PS3

As I already said, it might possibly just be dirty ports or a loose cable. Those things can happen with old PS3s anyway.

Spoiler warning: