Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
The used games industry is a bigger problem for consoles than piracy really. Plenty of people feel terrible about pirating games but nobody feels like that buying a used game.

Did you ever hear about this?
The big console manufacturers don't really need defending from the horror of a market that exists in every single other industry in existence.

Microsoft just wanted more control over the market and to cause further divide for a stronger base. You still see them trying with the Windows store, which is infamous for releasing major releases broken constantly. They're just really bad at anything besides being a good third party console box (their exclusives have become background noise in the past few years).

Please keep in mind all of the big three want to do this and make plays regularly because they're businesses. It's generally good policy to look at all these guys with a critical eye because they're all pretty inept in at least one field and other others are quick to capitalize on those weaknesses. Sony sticks out for their cocky attitude after they make big wins, like that huge shade they cast over Microsoft's always on insanity. Afterwards, they started making a lot of small mistakes and assumptions. Probably the height of this behavior was the PS3 launch, which was vastly overpriced with confusing hardware, given one of the most embarrassing E3 showings ever. The Xbox One announcement was effectively Microsoft's version of that.

I tend to respect Nintendo a bit more than the other three most days because they pretty much do whatever they want, but they're also the hardest on streamers and video producers, not to mention their lackluster understanding of online. I think I respect Sony the most because they pick up on what their audience once most faster than anyone else and have a really varied line of exclusives, especially now that they've brought back Crash. Even at their weakest, there's usually something for everyone.

I prefer PC, though, because I usually don't play big releases but weird indie games or doujin releases. You don't need particularly impressive specs for something like, say, The Magic Circle or Broforce. That said, I do miss owning physical disks, but that seems to be going away in console spaces anyways with a mess of major releases requiring a company server or disks just being a small part of the whole release that you have to download in patches once installed.