Thread: What system would you say you Emulated the most games from?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What system would you say you Emulated the most games from?

Out of all the systems, which system would you say you emulated the most games from?

For me its gotta be the SNES, it's been literally hundreds. Second place might be PS1.

What about you guys?

Thanks
    EP Points

Easily the PS1. I already loved the PS1 before I knew emulators even existed, but when I found em, it just got even better. Without emulation, I wouldn't have discovered Suikoden, been able to play Silent Hill, it's also how I played Symphony of the Night. There's just so many classics on the PS1 I emulated.

Thanks
    EP Points

Probably NES and SNES combined. I grew up playing those systems. The great thing about emulation is finding games you never heard or would have never had the chance to play.

Thanks
    EP Points

Probably a tie between snes and ps1 myself.

Was looking for snes ports on pc which led me here and introduced me to emulation lo so many years ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

No idea. In the early days of playing my own games (I actually started off with feeding money into arcade machines before anything else) I was making cassette copies of C64 games

Then I pretty much ignored cart consoles and was messing around with Apple/PC games on and off for a bit. I did play some SMS and MegaDrive but never had either myself.
    Had a SNES for a little while but only had a handful of games...probably rented more than I owned with that.

Later I was making copies of PSX games for chipped consoles.

I've always been more of a console guy really. Most older stuff I've emulated would be on other consoles (original Xbox, more recently PSP and PS3).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm going to have to say SNES or Genesis, but I don't emulate too much. My backlog of indie games and old PC titles getting re-releases is too vast for me to consider too much emulation play time. I may make an exception for Suikoden II after I get some freelance articles stacked up and done, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Arcade machines, actually. I love me some MAME.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm going to be the odd one and say I've emulated handhelds the most. Whether it be on modded hardware or through a PC emulator.

PSP, GBC/A, DS... I guess because they're what I grew up playing. I've always had a handheld of somesort. And now being able to emulate stuff on phones makes it super accessable and actually portable in comparison to PC emulation.

Thanks
    EP Points

If we're only talking actual emulation, then definitely the SNES. It was the first console I ever emulated, one with tons and tons of games that appealed to me, one I emulated back when my interest in games was at its peak, and one that I didn't own growing up and have never bought in the time since. All of which equates to a whole lot of hours put into SNES emulators over the years. Second place would probably be PCEngine / Turbografx, as there was absolutely no way of me finding the hardware / software for it in stores here, and I didn't have a debit / credit card for eBay at the time. Have also played quite a few Mega Drive / Mega CD games through emulation, though I played so many of the good Mega Drive titles to death growing up anyway that I already knew the library pretty well.

I've always played most of my downloaded games on real hardware, though. Partly because the specs of our computers at home were rarely up to the task of emulating the consoles I wanted to play at any given time, and partly because I just kinda like using the real thing. And if you include downloaded games on real hardware, then the PS1 wins by miles and miles. Between all of the titles that never made it to Europe during that era and all of the Japanese PS1 games I used as a study aid after beginning to learn Japanese, I can't even count how many hours I spent playing downloaded games on my modded PS1 between about 2003 and 2008. Probably more than I've spent gaming full stop in the last nine years. :'D