Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you guys have a preference for certain game/console makers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Do any of you guys have a preference for certain game/console makers?

Like, do you prefer Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo? That is, if you have any preference. Myself, I'm a Sony guy. My favorite IP this generation is Gravity Rush.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm definitely a Sony guy. I've never trusted or liked Microsoft long before they entered the console market. Anyone that knows how they are with computers should know to never buy the first run of anything they release. So that turned me off from them further. Not saying Sony is perfect by any means since the PS3 OG model would just about guarantee brick after so much time. Aside from the technical aspect of the big 3's systems, I've always preferred Sony's exclusives and number of exclusives. I'm a huge fan of Metroid, Zelda, and Mario, but to me that's all Nintendo has to offer as far as exclusives. Back to Microsoft I just don't care for anything on their systems aside from Oddworld Stranger's Wrath(which is downloadable for Sony's PS3, Vita, and PS4 now) and Panzer Dragoon Orta on the original Xbox. I don't care for FPS unless they're on PC so that knocks out the Xbox again. So yeah that's my opinion on my favorite console maker and why I like Sony.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzcln For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ozzcln View Post
    I'm definitely a Sony guy. I've never trusted or liked Microsoft long before they entered the console market. Anyone that knows how they are with computers should know to never buy the first run of anything they release. So that turned me off from them further. Not saying Sony is perfect by any means since the PS3 OG model would just about guarantee brick after so much time. Aside from the technical aspect of the big 3's systems, I've always preferred Sony's exclusives and number of exclusives. I'm a huge fan of Metroid, Zelda, and Mario, but to me that's all Nintendo has to offer as far as exclusives. Back to Microsoft I just don't care for anything on their systems aside from Oddworld Stranger's Wrath(which is downloadable for Sony's PS3, Vita, and PS4 now) and Panzer Dragoon Orta on the original Xbox. I don't care for FPS unless they're on PC so that knocks out the Xbox again. So yeah that's my opinion on my favorite console maker and why I like Sony.
    You forgot to mention that DS3 controllers don't have removable batteries, DS4 usb port fail rate, several multi plat games on PS3 are a bit broken (I mean more so than 360 versions)...notably Bethesda games in particular, but also Metro Last Light (game save corruption glitch).

Orta isn't the only decent Xbox exclusive, you should try Metal Wolf Chaos at least.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You forgot to mention that DS3 controllers don't have removable batteries, DS4 usb port fail rate, several multi plat games on PS3 are a bit broken (I mean more so than 360 versions)...notably Bethesda games in particular, but also Metro Last Light (game save corruption glitch).

Orta isn't the only decent Xbox exclusive, you should try Metal Wolf Chaos at least.
    I'll take those problems with Sony's machines any day compared to the 360's RROD. I worked at Gamestop when it launched and can honestly say I had about 1 in every 3 customers come back within a week returning them. Not to mention the systems scratching the discs. That aside there just weren't any exclusives that interested me on any of the Xbox systems. Definitely not enough to warrant me actually purchasing a system.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I don't have any real preference anymore. Console fanboyism is pointless and just holds you back from enjoying fun games.

360's RROD. I worked at Gamestop when it launched
    Those issues were resolved with the Falcon model, everything Jasper and up is prettymuch bullet proof. Not that anybody ever cares, the 360's reputation was trashed.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll take those problems with Sony's machines any day compared to the 360's RROD. I worked at Gamestop when it launched and can honestly say I had about 1 in every 3 customers come back within a week returning them. Not to mention the systems scratching the discs. That aside there just weren't any exclusives that interested me on any of the Xbox systems. Definitely not enough to warrant me actually purchasing a system.
    The problem with games being broken is that there isn't anything that can be done about it really. At least with console failure (or controllers) you can return for replacement. Even beyond retail warranty if consumer law covers it (like it does here). Obviously if a console is 10 years old it won't be covered though, but at that point not many people care anyway.

You must've worked at gamestop quite some time ago as 360 consoles dying is something that happened with old versions, as Ragnar said. Same with PS3.
    I've never had any hardware issues with my 360 slim or my PS3 slim, never had a console of either type die on me yet although I have been given a couple of PS3 fats (recently) that were already dead, plus one that is still working.
    Had an original Xbox die on me under warranty but the replacement is still working ok many years later.
    The more recent issue is DS4 controller usb ports becoming dysfunctional. I personally know one guy that has a day 1 console and went through 4 controllers until he got one that is working ok.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I have to agree with ozzcln. The only Xbox franchise that ever interested me personally was Halo. I loved the series up till Reach. When Halo 4 was announced, I was already a bit skeptical with Bungie not working on it, but also the fact that Reach ended the series. I felt we didn't need more. My worries were vindicated when I played Halo 4. It was nothing like Bungie's games. It really felt like Call of Duty but with a Halo skin slapped on. And then there's The Master Chief Collection, oh god, it still hurts. When that was announced, I pretty much instantly bought an XB1, I was so hyped, being able to relive the days of Halo 2 Online, sign me up. Then it came out... and the online was forever broken. I replayed the campaigns and those were nice. But, I knew at this point, there was no point in me owning an XB1, as I already had a PS4. I sold the XB1 a few months back for $110, it was worth it. I really don't think I've ever been more disappointed in my life then with MCC.
    Last edited by Pringr0; 15th-July-2017 at 00:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

I worked at an xbox call center back in 08/09. Talk about mayhem.

I've had 2 360 slims and 2 ps3 slims over the years and not one single issue.

Can't really say if I prefer either over the other - they both have strong points. Of course Sony had the better online services. Psn and PS+ were great. I found some games ran better on the 360 (cue the 7 year Bethesda discussions between me and DL ) found the 360 had a slightly sharper resolution through hdmi on a 720p tv being able to hit 1360x768, never saw that option on the ps3 just 1280x720 (back in the day of course) the 360 handled multi-tasking a little better too. Ps3 was more budget oriented too, when you bought a 360 you had to pay for extras like the wireless adapter and even a freaking charge cable which incidentally doesn't even connect the data portion ffs. So PS3 wins on that one.

Anyhow like both just the same. Can't speak to the new systems though. Oh and Nintendo. Fuck Nintendo. I'm not a kid who plays Pokemons or some moron walking down the street playing a portable device. They topped out with the n64 and maybe the cube actually. If I wanna play Mario or Zelda I'll emulate one of the old cartridge systems.

Oh and as far as a fave goes. Welp sorry boys. PC wins out.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've definitely had enough of Nintendo's crap lately. The only thing I care about from them anymore is Fire Emblem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I think pretty much everyone have their preferences as far as console/game developers or gaming platforms refers. As for me, exclusive games is what makes me decide whether a gaming platform is worth my money or not. Sony and Nintendo are my safest bets by far. I was never interesed in the first Xbox, the 360 had some good exclusives at first, but that changed soon. And the Xbone, again, is of no interest to me. And I wouldn't even consider getting a gaming PC. Can't think of any single PC exclusive game I want to play

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All console manufacturers should never be fully trusted because they all pull dumb crap regularly. Nintendo is the most regular, Sony the most sneaky, and Microsoft the most inept and horrifying. I want to everyone to remember that time they tried to nuke the entire used game market, and thus the entire physical game market, with the Xbox One launch until everyone yelled so much that they eventually backed down in the most cowardly, spiteful way possible.

As for developers and publishers, only Wadjet Eye and Devolver Digital stick out for their own personal style. You want a high quality, beautiful point and click, just look through Wadjet Eye's library. As for Devolver, they've been called the Def Jam Records of gaming. They love Adult Swim style anti-humor and published amazing stuff like Always Sometimes Monsters, Hotline Miami, Enter The Gungeon, Broforce, and NOT A HERO.

Also, they are responsible for the greatest E3 presentation ever made. I urge you to watch this, it's incredible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    I want to everyone to remember that time they tried to nuke the entire used game market, and thus the entire physical game market, with the Xbox One launch until everyone yelled so much that they eventually backed down in the most cowardly, spiteful way possible.
    I do remember when the XB1 was always supposed to be online and used games not being able to be played, but what did they do that was cowardly and spiteful for taking these restrictions off? I don't remember this.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well at least Xbone has decent bc and they keep adding titles. Sony are more like Nintendo in this area, making you pay to play old titles (if they're available). Or for some people making them regret getting rid of their PS3 (which is silly, but yeah people did that).
    Also, Xbone is a bit cheaper (at least here anyway). You can get a new S for under $300au but I haven't seen Pro that cheap. Again, Sony being like Nintendo...the latter being reluctant to reduce home console prices here since after the Wii.

Another thing (although this is irrelevant for the vast majority of gamers) is that for people like me that just use consoles and can't be bothered with PC, Xbone is tempting since the likes of Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE aren't as gimped for mods.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pringr0 View Post
    I do remember when the XB1 was always supposed to be online and used games not being able to be played, but what did they do that was cowardly and spiteful for taking these restrictions off? I don't remember this.
    They released a statement on their website basically blaming everyone for not loving their genius idea of the destroying an entire industry so they can be a worse, less useful Steam (and lord knows Steam has a whole heap of problems).

Thanks
    EP Points

The used games industry is a bigger problem for consoles than piracy really. Plenty of people feel terrible about pirating games but nobody feels like that buying a used game.

Did you ever hear about this?

Spoiler warning: