Thread: Resident Evil 2 start up problems

Thanks

Default Resident Evil 2 start up problems

Hello there!
    I have nullDC as my Dreamcast emulator and have been trying to run Resident Evil 2. In the US version it just takes me to a screen with the Sega and Microsoft logo and in the European version it takes me to the console main menu. I use the standard version of LaunchBox and Hyperspin so I have disc one and two on separate .rar files. I did the same for Code Veronica and it runs fine so I don't know why RS2 is giving me problems. Any wisdom you can share on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    EP Points

Been awhile, but I believe Nulldc doesn't run windows ce games. Of which re2 is. Try Demul instead.

Or even a different system.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

PC version.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Oh no!! :,(
    I didn't want to change to another emulator but it sucks that it can't play RS2. Can Demul run all or most games?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Axl398 View Post
    Oh no!! :,(
    I didn't want to change to another emulator but it sucks that it can't play RS2. Can Demul run all or most games?
    I think there is a healthy list of games that will run. Been a long time since I messed with this stuff.

I believe Demul required a bit more processing power than nulldc hence it could be slower. But that wouldn't matter these days anyways with how far computers have come. Different story 10-15 years ago though

Edit: I don't think their were many major games that used the winCE nonsense anyhow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll keep that in mind considering that my lap can barely keep up with nullDC at 90%-100%.

Thank you so much for the helpful info! Hope you have a nice day, Zaladane.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeouch. What are your specs?

Thanks

Well, to be honest, I'm not much into computers. I basically have a hand me down. I have a Toshiba with an Intel Celeron 1037U with a core speed of 1795.7 MHz, an Intel(R) HD Graphics GPU and DRAM Frecuency 798.1 MHz. In the spirit of full disclosure, I only know that because of a program called CPU-Z.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Use PC versions of games if possible. That way you're bypassing the whole business of emulating an entire system to begin with.

Spoiler warning:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know that getting the PC version will be easier gameplaywise but it clashes with the aesthetic of my collection. I have a tiny collection of games for each of my favorite consoles and I just open up Hyperspin to look at my collection and then decide what to play. XD
    It's about more than just the game, it's about being able to play it from my collection. I understand if you don't agree with the sentiment but it's just something that I feel I need to fix so I can have something that that is well done by me.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dreamcast emulation in general is far from perfect, there are alot of problem games with NullDC, Demul although a better emulator in many ways will never run well on lower end PC's same goes for Retroarch and Dreamcast emulation that is the best Dreamcast emulator so far, but is very CPU heavy

A Dreamcast is still the best way to play Dreamcast games (personally I use a USB GD-ROM replacement board and a USB HDD to be able to run those GDI images)

PC version has it's own issues depending on the OS used and Graphics chip sets, PSX (USA) version would be the next best bet

Retroarch should run most systems fine for you up to PSX using the cores that are not so CPU heavy (even some of the SNES cores are CPU heavy though while some are not), that way you can use a single system to run most games from various systems
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-June-2017 at 02:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Use PC versions of games if possible. That way you're bypassing the whole business of emulating an entire system to begin with.
    Make sure its the japanese re-release of the P.C. version that Warrior has, ALL other versions of RE2 on PC will bug out the minute you get to the kendo gun store (crash to desktop when the guy says "FREEZE!").
    Spoiler warning:

Check out my own music at:
    https://crash-headroom.bandcamp.com/