Thread: How do I play the audio and video files from DDR?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How do I play the audio and video files from DDR?

I've downloaded the game DDR 3rd Mix, for PSX, and have extracted the 3 largest files, at least one of which I believe contains music data and possibly video data (as I think this game had music videos in it). They are:
    READ_DT.BIN (32MBytes)
    STR.BIN (360MBytes)
    XA.STR (38MBytes)

I have tried to use the standard PSX media playing tools (PSXMC and PSMPlay), but they both can't play these files. I'm guessing that since the makers of the game knew it would contain multimedia that media pirates would try to rip (not just game pirates), they made a significant effort to protect these files. It possibly involves encryption, obfuscation, or proprietary compression algorithms, or some combination of these. However, given all the years this game has been out, I'm sure that some hackers by now have managed to crack the protection mechanism. Hopefully, they have released a player that implements this protection crack, so that it will be able to play these videos/songs (and even better, convert them to standard formats like WAV and AVI).

You see, on Youtube, I found this really awesome music video with one of my favorite DDR songs on it, and it appears to be an official music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkVOa2p9lIA but its quality is less than desirable, and it having a 720p version on Youtube is a pathetic joke (obviously upscaled, as the PSX console doesn't support HD video). I don't even know where this music video came from. I know the song was available in the first DDR (which I already ripped and none of the files are large enough to possibly be video files), and also the song was in DDR 3rd Mix and I ripped its 3 biggest files (one of the files is large enough to actually hold a collection of small resolution video files, one for each song in the game, at a file size of 360MByte for this one large file). This one huge file I've got a strong hunch that THIS FILE is where the the famous music video originated. I think I've tracked it back to its source finally (after spending hours online with Google in a fruitless effort trying to find an article that talks about the origin of the music video), no thanks to any online articles, but rather thanks to my ripping apart games, one file at a time.

So is there anybody here, who knows of a video player designed specifically to play copy-protected video files from the game DDR 3rd Mix?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSMPlay can play the music fine and the video

Just analyze the Dao image (that would be the disc image itself not the files you extracted) and open the analyze data it will have a single multi track xa file and a video file

The video is only 18 seconds long so probably not what you are looking for

So if there are other video's on there they are not PSX STR format as the analyze options do not look at individual files but scan the data in a RAW format for anything using XA but that STR video or XA sound as well as other standard formats like TIM image files ect

If there is other video though just use a PSX emulator and play the game (cheat if there are any cheat codes like Action Replay Game Shark Codebreaker codes ect) record it if you like

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR