Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with burned PSone games

Thanks

Default Problems with burned PSone games

Hello, for the last month, I've been wanting to play burned games on my playstation one. I think it has a modchip, since it runs games that have been burned on a CD. But the problems I have encountered were these: 1st of all, sometimes the games boot up, and sometimes I just get thrown into the "Memory Card and CD Player" screen. I have no idea why this is happening. 2nd, if the games DO boot up, they often lag or stutter. for example, I tried downloading the Castlevania Symphony of the night game, burned it to my cd, and played it. At first, it didn't boot. Then I tried restarting the console multiple times, and after 5 tries, it booted up. But the game stuttered a lot, as well as the FMV's and Audio. Could someone help me out? Do I need to change my laser?

Thanks, Kevin.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Sounds like your PS1 just doesn't like your burns. The general advice is to burn your games as slowly as possible. If you already are burning slowly, your PS1 may simply dislike the brand of CDR's you're using. So try something else.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

As above I'm guessing your media isn't any good.
    Brand doesn't matter so much it's who actually made the disc (the manufacturer).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Sounds like your PS1 just doesn't like your burns. The general advice is to burn your games as slowly as possible. If you already are burning slowly, your PS1 may simply dislike the brand of CDR's you're using. So try something else.
    Hey, yes, I've been always burning with the slowest speed that my burner can go (its 8x), and I've tried 2 different brands, SONY CD-r's, and some lithuanian brand called Acme. Shouldn't the ps1 like sony cds?

Thanks
    EP Points

Those Sony CDs might just be CMC or some similar cheap disc.
    No, just because the branding is the same as your console it doesn't mean they will work.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thank you for your replies. I'll maybe try to try out the method Ragnar suggested, i.e. try a different brand of cd-r's. Do any of you know a brand that will 100% work with my ps1? Or could it even by my laser that needs to be replaced?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by keviss View Post
    Do any of you know a brand that will 100% work with my ps1?
    Back in the day, the cheapest kinds I could find worked ok for me. And IIRC Sony CDRs were crap for burnt PS1 games, but they could've changed manufactures several times since then... My suggestion would be to walk into a couple dollar stores and see if you can get a handful of different kinds, you don't need to buy a spindle of something that won't work.
    Or could it even by my laser that needs to be replaced?
    It's not impossible. It is little harder for a laser to read burnt discs, so you'd probably notice failures there first. But if your system plays retail games fine, it's probably ok.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I haven't made any PSX backup discs for a long time now. Over the last year or so I have added some retail discs to my old collection though (which has always been mostly backup copies of various regions).

Currently working on using all possible (well only the ones I want atm) official PSOne Classics on PS3 plus maybe some unofficial ones (if I end up getting that last bit working ok).

Without CFW

The PSX playability on PS3 seems pretty good really...if I had a PS TV I would probably try that route but they are hard to find used for a reasonable price here now, and very difficult to find new (importing is easier for new tbh).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

So I just tried out my ps1 with old burned games, which are all on the same brand cd-r, and the new ones that i've been trying to make work. I've noticed a pattern that all of the OLD games work (also burned), except for the ones that are REALLY scratched. The brand that works all the time is "Cursor Colorful". Should I try to get a hold of these cd's and burn games on them?

Huh, i've been searching all over the internet and can't find anything about these cd's?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-June-2017 at 19:43. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Well for DVD and BD media there's DVD Identifier, which will give you info about disc manufacturer etc but I'm not sure what to use for CD-R now tbh
    I guess imgburn and the like can give you basic disc info but I'm not 100% if that info is accurate for burning software like that (I mean; fakes spoofing other ID might not be detected).

Edit:
    I guess maybe you could try VSO Inspector or Nero InfoTool but I can't comment on those.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-June-2017 at 19:52.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Well for DVD and BD media there's DVD Identifier, which will give you info about disc manufacturer etc but I'm not sure what to use for CD-R now tbh
    I guess imgburn and the like can give you basic disc info but I'm not 100% if that info is accurate for burning software like that (I mean; fakes spoofing other ID might not be detected).
    Yes, I have found out that the manufacturer of the CD-R's is GigaStorage, but I still can't find anything for example on eBay that sell those cd's. I've also been reading online and people say Verbatim is also a good brand, is that so?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, I have found out that the manufacturer of the CD-R's is GigaStorage, but I still can't find anything for example on eBay that sell those cd's. I've also been reading online and people say Verbatim is also a good brand, is that so?
    I already said don't go by brand. Some Verbatims are cheap media just like many other leading brands.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I already said don't go by brand. Some Verbatims are cheap media just like many other leading brands.
    Then what do I order? I would do as Ragnar suggested, but there are no stores around that sell cd-r's here. Guess they went out of style in my country

Thanks
    EP Points

I would try a PC parts seller, either local irl or online but in your country. Places like that usually stock some quality media types CD/DVD/BD at reasonable prices (at least here anyway).

Spoiler warning:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would try a PC parts seller, either local irl or online but in your country. Places like that usually stock some quality media types CD/DVD/BD at reasonable prices (at least here anyway).
    I looked up cd-r's on the most known PC parts shop in my country, and all the cd's are Verbatim cd's. But there are so many I have no idea which ones to choose!