Thread: ROMs/ISOs on Nintendo Switch?

Thanks

Default ROMs/ISOs on Nintendo Switch?

(If this has been answered or a thread already exists, please feel free to scrap this.)

Based on what I've been seeing, the Switch seems like the handheld of my dreams. Wondering: Can the it run ROMs and ISOs in the same way that a PSP can? If not, is there hope for the immediate future?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'm not aware of any hacks. Not even for homebrew but maybe I'm wrong idk

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I'm not aware of any hacks. Not even for homebrew but maybe I'm wrong idk
    Ah, bummer. It'll change, though, hopefully. I remember something about a random Ninja game being used to 'unlock' the 3DS, heh. Are they open-ended now, the 2/3DS?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

3DS hacking has progressed a lot. Besides a couple of flash carts, CFW has been around for a while now.
    Wii U is hacked too.
    Vita & PS TV are hacked.

PS3 has had CFW for a long time but if you have one on OFW 4.70 or less you can inject a bunch of games without CFW (which is what I'm testing atm).

Xbox 360 has some DRM free stuff you can inject to USB and then copy over to the HDD, mostly DLC for games (from goty/complete versions) but also a few Live Arcade titles. No console mods needed for that.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

As for emulation, don't expect that for a decade or two.
    too lazy for a complex signature, but whatever

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Solarstrike View Post
    As for emulation, don't expect that for a decade or two.
    You never know

GBA emulation was created very quickly (Not sure if that was even before the system release, certainly in the first year) yet some systems are still yet to emulated and I'm not even talking about recent systems

WiiU is emulated now but it was only released in 2012, still not got the console myself, they are still a little too much for me
    3DS is also emulated now and was released back in 2011

EDIT: Yeah GBA emulation was released before the actual console, that had to suck for Nintendo yet they still had a good run for it Boycott Advance (Not the best now but it was released over a year before the GBA was, mostly homebrew and dev tech demo's running until the games arrived but played those on release of the games far from perfect but they worked) I admit the real fun came apx a year later as compat was getting fine tuned and the next few year after
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-June-2017 at 09:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Portable_Gaming View Post
    I remember something about a random Ninja game being used to 'unlock' the 3DS, heh. Are they open-ended now, the 2/3DS?
    Cubic Ninja. Ninjhax only allowed for homebrew, just like Browserhax, Tubehax and Soundhax. You can do more if you have modified firmware. Most people who want to play backups should use a Sky3DS card, but they're very expensive.

The Switch is way too new for backups to run on it. Plus, if someone discovered a way, Nintendo now pays up for such discoveries. Only up to $20,000, though, which is a little low in my opinion when it could prevent piracy. Then, they'd just patch it up in an update and all would be well. I think it'll end up being like the DS and 3DS where flashcarts eventually come out, but it'll take a few years.