Thread: Original Xbox Error Code 16

Thanks

Default Original Xbox Error Code 16

Some time ago i had made a thread about an Original Xbox i had and i asked if anyone knew if it was modded or not. I think it is. But is there any way i can get it up and running? The Xbox turns on and displays error code 16. The Xbox has no hard drive but i managed to get my hands on a few hard drives one is 500GB. I want to really use the Xbox but i have no idea how to fix it.

I took some new photos higher res photos of the chip. What is it? What can be done to use this Xbox again? Do i need some recovery disc?

Xbox pic.jpg

Xbox pic 2.jpg

Hope i can use it.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-June-2017 at 03:11.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error) -

Basically you need the MS Dashboard files on a drive that is correctly locked for that xbox (drive locking to eeprom may not be needed I guess as it has a Mod Chip of some type)

The guide at https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?85589 is aimed at Softmod users but you can use the same tools to re-build an xbox HDD without locking ect but you will need a PC with an IDE port that is an old standard as most systems use Sata now

If you look through that guide although alot will not apply for your system you should still be able to build a Xbox HDD that will have a basic Operating system or Dashboard for the Xbox, I would still go for a custom dash though also like XBMC and run the games from HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-June-2017 at 07:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well thanks for the guide. I will check it out. But from what i've read on other sites. Woudn't i just need a Slayer Auto Installer Disc to install a new hard drive on to the Xbox? The Xbox already has a modchip right? So i don't need any eeprom. Right?

Can i make a bootable USB with xboxhdm1.9?

I tried making one and i tried booting with it and it did boot but at one part it says "Can't find Linux CD image"

Can i use it on a USB? Or does it have to be burned on to a Disc?

I guess i won't be able to use this Xbox. I burned a disc with that Slayer thing and the xbox is not reading it. Or so i think. All it does it displays Error 16.

Also i can't do anything with that XboxHdm1.9 that i have on the USB. I don't have any cds only had one that i already used up for that Slayer program. so i can't burn xboxhdm.

Come on. IS there Anything?

I don't want to sound lazy but isn' there something easier? Just put disk and format hard drive for use i mean it does have a mod chip after all right?

I don't know to much about this i've never modded consoles that s why i need something easy. Something i can just launch games and play. I don't care about anything else but just Burn Xbox games and play. That's all.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-June-2017 at 02:57.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Because you can not use anything on the xbox you need to do this externally

IDE PC is the way to go without having the original HDD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

If you're getting error 16 it is the classic chicken/egg clock set problem: the console needs to check the time to boot but without a dash on the HDD, in this case nothing on the HDD, it can't do that. But you can't set the time without a dash.........

With a chip the error should be irrelevant, I think. If that is working (fingers crossed) and a HDD is fitted you should, I believe, still be able to cold boot an installer disc. HeXEn or AID preferred to Slayers but remember to use the chipped options.

If either disc does boot then they should walk you through the process of formatting and setting up a new HDD and installing a dash.

Burn the disc to DVD-R with Imgburn to guarantee Xbox disc drive compatibility.

What I don't know is whether this will work if the chips BIOS is missing or corrupted and if so how you fix that. I know there are BIOS which bypass the clock set check but apart from that I'm on thin ground as regards my knowledge of chipped machines in such circumstances.

I know of other methods you could try if you also have a working softmodded Xbox but there are risks so I won't go there at this point.

I'll ask on some other forums.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 7th-June-2017 at 14:55.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah with a decent chip an error like that wouldn't matter. Throw in any old IDE HDD, boot Slayers disc and format/setup the HDD. That is; the disc has the options to rebuild everything on an unformatted (or wrong format) bare drive.

I'm not up to date with current boot discs but that's what I've always done with my chipped consoles. I'm not claiming Slayers is better that's just what I've always done in the past and it never fails.

Never encountered any HDD I couldn't use either, no matter what brand.

Edit:
    After reading through the OP's posts I suspect either the DVD drive is failing or the chip is a cheap crappy one...if the latter is the case it's rather pointless as it's no better than softmod.

I can't make out what chip it is though, is there anything printed on the board?
    I haven't looked at different chips for a long time now so looking at what I can see there doesn't ring any bells.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 7th-June-2017 at 13:14.

Spoiler warning: