Thread: Alone in the Dark GDI Discs Confusion

Thanks

Default Alone in the Dark GDI Discs Confusion

Hello there!

I got into emulation a few months back so I'm still learning new things every day. I downloaded the Alone in the Dark ISO in GDI format from this very site. As people who have played the game may know, it is a game split into two discs and they both happen to be inside the same zip file. I maintain my ISOs in zip files to help me save space in my computer but that brought up a question about the Alone in the Dark ISO. What happens after I finish all the content from disc 1? Does disc 2 automatically start up because they are in the same zip file? Or do I need to do something else to play the content in disc 2?

I apologize if the question is too amateurish but I'd rather know now so I can be ready to play disc 2 soon after I finish disc 1. I've also noticed that some other ISOs have both discs inside the same zip file, so this post could also help me in the future. Any knowledge you could share on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To be honest I was not aware it could be played from zip in the first place, but no it will not auto load the next disc

I do not know what you are using to play those either though the emulators I have tested that support GDI dumps need to have those extracted before they are playable

As it happens I uploaded those myself but I play from my Dreamcast via a USB-GD-Rom drive (a High Speed USB port for Dreamcast hardware, not a cheap mod but a worthwhile one) anyway I don't emulate that system myself only for testing or hacking

The USB-GD-Rom does allow me to set the next disc up so 2 or more disc games will auto change on pressing the eject button and closing the lid

Emulators though let you change disc at any time from there main menu
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-June-2017 at 07:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hello Zorlon!

Wow, you reply really fast. Well, I use nullDC as my emulator and the free version of Launchbox as my library which could explain why I can play the games while still in their zip files.

So I guess I would need to download a zip file that only contains disc 2 in order to play it, right?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you just need to store the second disc in another zip file no need to re-download disc separate

7-zip would be a good option there to extract and re-compress, even better if the front end supports 7z files as that is better compression, if not stick with zip format that 7-zip can also do

Not used front ends for years but mostly because if I emulate it tends to be on a console anyway rather than my PC

Chances are the front end will extract on the fly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-June-2017 at 07:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OK! I already have the 7zip program ready because I kept hearing that it was better than winrar.

Thank you so much for your wisdom, Zorlon. I really do appreciate it.

I hope you have a nice day!