Thread: 8 Wii cIOS Questions here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default 8 Wii cIOS Questions here.

Hey all hope everyone's good.
    So,
    1. what is the reason base 56 is usually recommended for slot 249 while base 57 is recommended for slot 250?

I think I understand that base 56 offers the fastest USB access time but base 57 seems to offer the best compatibility at 95%+ (and the speed diff btw. 56 & 57 is apparently negligible) so
    2. why not only use base 57?
    3. And if indeed you only need base 57 which slot does it work best with, 249 or 250?

Or
    4. does it not necessarily matter what slot a cIOS is put in (provided it's over 200) but really what matters is the version of cIOS that goes into a slot as well as the base in that slot

If that's the case
    5. then how do you determine whether to use cIOS d2x v8 or v10 beta r52?
    6. and whether to use base 56 or 57 for which cIOS

Final questions I swear!!!
    7. Could I install v10 beta r52 in BOTH slots 249 & 250 & use base 56 for one slot & base 57 for the other?
    8. which slot would be preferable to assign each base to?
    Ok that's all I got. Thank you all!!!

Sorry if this is dumb or if I'm misunderstanding how this stuff works. I'm just trying to learn more both so I can hopefully help out others in the future & because I'm curious.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Slots and rubbish I don't honestly remember I use what works

d2x v8 is perfect for USB HDD users
    d2x v10 fixes issues with USB sticks that will have problems with some games using d2x v8

Just use the d2x installer and don't think about it, or use something like ModMii

Install it once do not try and dual install it, this is not something you get the choice of what to use anyway once it is installed it will auto load

To make everything so simple just go for ModMii it will make modding the Wii so simple it will make the best choices for you and even update everything that needs to be updated

There is alot of information on modding the Wii online problem is alot of it is confusing and outdated so instead of manaully going through all that just go for something that is semi automated like ModMii (It's not the only option)

Manually grab the updated d2x if needed and manually grab the latest USB Loader of choice that will not be the latest stable built but a nightly build that are usually worth going for to get the best compat both Wii and GC, you will also want if you plan to play GC games grab Nintendont, I would also recommend using a virtual nand and keeping everything on USB especially if you use a HDD

Before it is asked best overall format for the USB device is Fat32 with 32bit clusters (Mostly to help with GC games but that partition format works for everything) (windows does not support formatting Fat32 that way so you will need 3rd party software to do that modmii includes such software) you can use more than one partition if you like and recommend you do so if you use a large HDD because each partition can only hold 500 Wii games or more accurately the Wii can only read 500 games per partition
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-June-2017 at 07:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you. I'll look into ModMii.

ModMii is PC only. I'm on Mac. Guess I'll just tinker. Good thing I dont care about my Wii.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-June-2017 at 19:57.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There may yet be a Mac equivalent or you can follow a guide or I could even run through the PC side process for you and share the files over

Though it may take a short time for me to do that and would require info from you on the way

The Wii is actually a good console for both Wii and GC games as well as emulation, never tested PSX but SNES, N64, Megadrive, GBA and systems under work great even light gun games for SNES Megadrive and under are very playable with a Wii mote that I use my Wii for mostly as other games run fine on my Xbox (Original) that is also soft modded

N64 emulation you can either go official but with a limited amount of games or go 3rd party emulation with a few extra games but may not be as stable, so N64 if it was officially emulated go for that anything that was not go 3rd party

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR