Thread: PS1 Output Modding

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS1 Output Modding

Hello,

I don't have a high quality PAL to NTSC converter, and I would like to permanently mod my PAL console to output to NTSC. I can solder, and I also have an extra NTSC motherboard lying around. Ideally, I would like to know what part of the motherboard makes the console output in 50Hz, and change it to output in 60Hz. Is it that simple?

Worst case, would I be able to swap the motherboards and resolder the modchip?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by icicle_boy View Post
    Hello,

I don't have a high quality PAL to NTSC converter, and I would like to permanently mod my PAL console to output to NTSC. I can solder, and I also have an extra NTSC motherboard lying around. Ideally, I would like to know what part of the motherboard makes the console output in 50Hz, and change it to output in 60Hz. Is it that simple?

Worst case, would I be able to swap the motherboards and resolder the modchip?

Any suggestions are welcome.
    I'm not sure you can do that, I mean going by what you've posted I'm assuming you want to force the PAL console to output PAL games in NTSC?

Just use NTSC games.

Edit:
    If you want the highest quality video output without any mods, SCPH-1000 (first Japanese model) has s-video. First Sony console I ever got
    Dunno if any other early consoles had it though.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 29th-May-2017 at 01:48.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I'm not sure you can do that, I mean going by what you've posted I'm assuming you want to force the PAL console to output PAL games in NTSC?

Just use NTSC games.

Edit:
    If you want the highest quality video output without any mods, SCPH-1000 (first Japanese model) has s-video. First Sony console I ever got
    Dunno if any other early consoles had it though.

So I'm using and NTSC tv, and as far as I know, a PAL console only works on a PAL tv. The console can play PAL games in NTSC using import player light, but it still sends a PAL signal to the tv causing it to be in black and white.

I'm looking for a way to change this without buying a PAL to NTSC converter, or a new console. Also, I don't have s-video on any of my tv's.

This is more complicated than it should be.

Thanks
    EP Points

My region is PAL. As I already mentioned I have one SCPH-1000 which is Japanese.

You need a multi-region tv. I haven't seen a PAL region locked tv for years.
    Unless of course there's something odd about your modchip and it doesn't like out of region games...but it would have to be ancient and cheap.

Edit:
    I would avoid using import player if possible, it doesn't always work properly iirc.

Edit 2:
    So do NTSC games boot ok and output NTSC?

Edit 3:
    Ok, after a reading some stuff from many many years ago I think some early cheap modchips (maybe even later cheap ones too) in PAL consoles didn't have any colour correction for NTSC output. This means playing an NTSC game even on an NTSC capable tv would just get B&W. There were some colour correction mods that could be done to fix that without having to pull the old modchip and replace it with one that had the colour correction built-in.
    Of course all of this is only relevant to PAL consoles booting NTSC games. I don't think it would force NTSC colour output for PAL games on a PAL console.

If NTSC games boot and play fine then just stick to those.
    For anything PAL exclusive (like Fear Effect 1&2 etc) you will need a PAL capable tv or a converter.
    There were small NTSC>PAL signal converters (I assume the reverse exists) that could plug into the PSX a/v port that had composite video and rca audio
    Last edited by deadlegion; 29th-May-2017 at 05:31.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A PAL console can output NTSC without modding at all

The signal is software controlled not hardware

the NTSC>PAL converters are for NTSC games not hardware if you are wondering

Import Player and regional display patching is good and all but forcing 50Hz to 60Hz and vice versa will cause lots of games to either just not work or run for a short time getting further and further out of sync and eventually crash or even just loop sounds ect that would not normally and again possibly crash later on

Just sounds like the mod chip is junk

vice versa is easy for a PAL only TV as a above a thing of the past but to display NTSC on a PAL TV without altering the display region that normally would be PAL only signal or be in black and white was to just connect via a SCART lead (aka RGB SCART), but don't think any NTSC TV's had that port to be honest, but worth a look

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

It's easy for a PAL tv to display NTSC even without scart if it's multi region All tvs here are now and have been for some time.
    Scart tvs were always a bit of an oddity here, although I do recall various euro type sets with it a long time ago. I even had a Philips crt that had scart but that was probably a model also available in Europe (possibly branded differently too idk).

I'm not sure the OP is going to be able to do what he wants...I mean force PAL games to output as NTSC on a PAL machine.

Spoiler warning: