Thread: Arcade Build - Newbie Probs

Thanks

Default Arcade Build - Newbie Probs

Well, title explains half of it... I'm looking to build a cabinet, still debating between a RaspPi/RetroPie (which I already have) or go full PC and run LaunchBox.

Never had luck getting MAME to run on RetroPie, so switched to my PC to test LaunchBox with. So far having more luck. Gotten a few classic games I loved running like Superman and Bad Dudes, using mame0185b_64bit.

Decided to try something newer, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 New Age of Heroes (Export, Korea, Rev A)... and the splash screen comes up, some sound, goes to a black screen with white type saying loading game... and can sit there forever and never start.

Before I make a decision of which to use (Pi vs PC) I'd like to get at least 1 working perfectly.

Am I using the wrong MAME app? should I use a different one?

Again, VERY new to emulators... got a few basics to work fine (NES, SNES, SEGA, PCEngine, NeoGeo) but the MAME is just causing grief. Finally get it working, next game I try, it fizzles out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

I ,personally , would go with a PC .Because you will have better compatibility with emulators of newer systems and games rather than using that ARM cpu on the RasPie.

Go to ( http://nonmame.retrogames.com ) to check how well MAME emulates certain systems
    and What are the alternative emulators if it doesn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'm no expert but that Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 arcade game could be Sega NAOMI so it may have special emu requirements (I mean, not MAME). Hopefully Zorlon will pop in with more info either way.

Edit:
    If I'm right it will need a special version of a Dreamcast emu that supports NAOMI hardware...nulldc,demul I can't remember now.

Anyway, yeah much better off using PC hardware for emulation that has high requirements. Those little boxes aren't much different to a lot of android tablets really, limited hardware capabilities.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 25th-May-2017 at 11:28.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower9500 View Post
    I ,personally , would go with a PC .Because you will have better compatibility with emulators of newer systems and games rather than using that ARM cpu on the RasPie.

Go to ( http://nonmame.retrogames.com ) to check how well MAME emulates certain systems
    and What are the alternative emulators if it doesn't.
    Ya, I have 0 experience with Linux, and a Windows system I've used since Win3.1... been doing a LOT better getting things working with a PC.

That said, the debate comes down to cost. $49CAD RaspPi I already own, vs probably $300CAD for a donor computer with an i5 3rd gen cpu.

PC offers more modern games, but not sure how many I'd actually have on it. God of War games I liked, but even then, can't use the arcade controls for it so debatable if I should even bother putting it in the arcade build. May just leave PS2 games on my main PC which is more than fast enough to run them.

MAME is where I'm lost though... not sure which ones will/won't run on Pi... and not sure which are native 4:3 or 16:9. I assume pretty much all are 4:3, at least before around 2005-ish.

Been searching for a cheap 20" 1600x1200 monitor with 8ms response time or faster and DVI... harder than sounds to find here in my area. May go for a 19" 5:4 instead. Debated a widescreen, but so far everything I've played/tested has been 4:3 and probably 99% of what I will play will be 4:3 so, aiming to find one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I'm no expert but that Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 arcade game could be Sega NAOMI so it may have special emu requirements (I mean, not MAME). Hopefully Zorlon will pop in with more info either way.

Edit:
    If I'm right it will need a special version of a Dreamcast emu that supports NAOMI hardware...nulldc,demul I can't remember now.

Anyway, yeah much better off using PC hardware for emulation that has high requirements. Those little boxes aren't much different to a lot of android tablets really, limited hardware capabilities.
    Sigh... and here I thought I was finally understanding MAME.

I haven't been to an arcade in SO long... probably 10-15yrs so no idea what new games are out there. When I get the cabinet built, modern games that I know I want would be anything X-Men, Streetfighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Metal Slug... always enjoyed those at the arcade so, focused on getting those running.

So far using a PS3 controller plugged in with USB, not bad... but the final build I have the buttons for and hopefully as easy or easier to setup. Controller aside, I really don't want to start building anything until I know I have the software end of things working flawless.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 25th-May-2017 at 14:20. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

I got a 24" led 1080p monitor recently for nothing. It's about 5 years old but has 2ms response time afaik.
    DVI, HDMI and D-sub inputs...also has PC audio input (has speakers).

Benq GL2450HM.

Edit:
    As for controllers, I actually prefer Xbox style controllers over Sony myself. Not that it stops me from using them though, I just get cramps from the left stick location
    I do know the d-pad on Sony controllers is better.

I'm waiting on a Hori Pad atm which is basically Xbox layout with some extra custom buttons and pretty sure the D-pad is better. It isn't wireless though, not that I care because PS3/4 controllers don't stay charged long enough for extended gaming sessions imo so I use them hooked up anyway. Just another area where Xbox controllers are a little better I guess since its easy to swap freshly charged batteries (which I have plenty of).
    Last edited by deadlegion; 25th-May-2017 at 14:33.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I've been looking for 3 weeks and ALMOST got one, LG LED 24" for $40CAD but I was the 2nd person to respond to the ad.

Otherwise, for something like that, everything's been around $100CAD, vs the 5:4 LCD's for about $15CAD. 4:3... no luck... everything so far has had 16-20ms response time, or VGA and rather not spend extra on am analog/digital converter.

Still looking though, still got time. Though found a really good 19" 5:4 LG for sale I may get this weekend.

19" 5:4 is about as tall as a 23" 16:9... 24" Would be nice but, generally speaking for those who don't get free monitors the cost is another $100CAD, which is $100 less towards the rest of the build, like the donor PC.

I was on the LaunchBox forum discussing monitors and I think the general consensus is that 95% or more of the games played, will likely be 4:3. Plus... the wider screen means a wider cabinet and I'm designing a space saver cabinet.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I kinda got lucky with that panel, dude I know was clearing out some stuff somewhere and it was destined to be trashed tbh. I was helping him move something and asked him about it...I was just curious I had no idea about the model specs, but I was aware that Benq have some good stuff.

Casing has marks on the back but everything seems to work fine. Way better than the pos Dell crap I was using for my desktop

The Hori controller I'm buying new from a Japanese supplier which is heaps cheaper than buying it locally (free shipping too).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

It's funny what people trash.... I remember 10yrs ago, saw a 15" LCD side of the road for trash, decided to grab it... 10yrs ago LCD's were still pretty pricey so wanted to give it a try. Plugged in, and worked great, didn't need to fix anything. Used it as a 2nd monitor for my music player while I was using my main monitor for design work. Just strange what some people will throw away.

I was hoping for a DELL for my build. I have a DELL U2414H (I think, not at home right now) and it's beautiful. Has an extra wide gamut for colour, which for design/photos is great. 8ms but I never notice any ghosting at all for games. That said, it's more than the $25-50 I want to spend on a monitor.

Controller for me, I bought well... none... it's buttons and a joystick. I was going to buy the Sanwa or Seimitsu... but wow the cost jumped up fast for 20+ buttons and 2 joysticks. Ended up on Amazon.ca and buying a kit that came with the buttons and joysticks and LEDs, controller boards etc... they even threw in a free extra button for me because I wanted to have 2 coin buttons. Very 'clicky' but otherwise nice looking. Although Amazon.ca, seller was in China, but warehouse in North America, so arrived in under 2 weeks vs 6-8 weeks on eBay. Saved about $100 overall as well doing it that way. I don't think I'll be playing games THAT much that I need 'professional' parts.

https://www.amazon.ca/EG-Starts-Joys...Player+Classic

When I got the RaspPi last summer, I bought a PS3 because bluetooth. Annoyingly I grabbed an official one from eBay, and wouldn't pair. Flipped it over and back had 3 spelling mistakes. Software detected as a fake so, got my money back. Works on USB, may even work on a PS2 I don't own one anymore so no idea, but for the RaspPi it would not work at all so bought a real PS3 refurbished at a local game shop. Works fine but... I dunno.... arcade machine with controllers, not sure yet if I'll bother. If not, the RaspPi may be just fine.

Kinda depends on games like what the OP is about. No idea how to get it to run, and if will work on a RaspPi or not.

Speaking of... I think we got off-topic.

So... Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 New Age of Heroes .... anyone know how to make that work? or if another version I should try? Again, it starts to load, I get the company logo splashscreen then the 'loading' screen where it hangs.

It's listed as I think the 2nd most downloaded MAME so... someone must be playing it somehow.
    Last edited by THRobinson; 25th-May-2017 at 15:20.

Thanks

Anyone?