Thread: PS1 Backups in Black and White

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS1 Backups in Black and White

Hello, I live in the US, and I recently bought a modded PAL PS1 to play backups. I already bought a PAL to NTSC converter, but there is a different problem. The startup screen with the sony logo is in color, but when the game starts it reverts back to black and white. Any thoughts? I appreciate the help.

EDIT:

Thanks for the replies. I'll try burning a European version. I'm not sure how to burn them with ImgBurn. The ISO files are different, and I'm having trouble finding the disc image.

Also, I've been playing an NTSC Crash Bandicoot with no problems other than it being in B&W (no crashing or glitches). I got to the color coded boss fight and figured I've had enough.
    Last edited by icicle_boy; 25th-May-2017 at 00:28.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to icicle_boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I would try both PAL and NTSC (Japanese or US shouldn't matter) backup copies to see if the modchip has been installed correctly.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Import Player Light (It's a CD-R you can burn) might help but I do not recommend forcing PAL games to display in NTSC mode in general this will cause sync issues with alot of games even make some just crash out at some point due to this of just not work at all in the first place

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The fact that the console boots in colour (the Sony logo) and then goes B&W when trying to load a game seems to indicate there's an issue with the modchip, to me anyway.
    I'm sure I've actually seen that before but it was many years ago. We use PAL consoles here.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

If your TV have a SCART jack, just try a scart rgb cable (like this: http://www.ebay.it/itm/CAVO-RGB-per-...8AAOSwQItUDLx9), I think it'll solve the problem
    Last edited by Peppe90; 2nd-July-2017 at 21:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

^ That might work as long as it used with a true SCART RGB socket on the TV. Most PAL TV's with SCART sockets have one that is fully wired ie. RGB and another which is only for Composite and, maybe, S-Video. Unfortunately with the OP being in the US it is likely that the TV being used is not going to have RGB or SCART sockets of any type.

If it were me I'd take a punt and buy a PS S-Video cable and try that assuming the TV supports S-Video of course.

Otherwise........there is apparently a colour output mod necessary for the PS to get it to display in colour on some TVs when alternative region console/games are being used.

This is copied from an old thread in another forum but if you search online you can find this type of advice repeated in many times:-

- NTSC 60Hz, 3.58 MHz color carrier (standard for NTSC)
    - PAL 50Hz, but something different from the standard 4.433 MHz PAL color carrier. This happens in PAL mode because the quartz crystal and PLL used are specified for NTSC frequency only. The TV can't detect this nonstandard frequency of the color carrier and you have black and white on PAL games.

You have to do the color modification so your PSX/PSone will output the following:
    - NTSC 60Hz, 3.58 MHz colour carrier (standard for NTSC)
    - PAL 50Hz, 3.58 MHz colour carrier (standard for NTSC)
    Your TV must allow a 50Hz video signal (PAL standard) with a 3.58 MHz color carrier (NTSC standard).

The modification is done by cutting one track on the back of the motherboard and by linking one pin of the video generator IC to 3.3V
    I think the mod may refer to a NTSC PS being used to play PAL region games on a NTSC TV but I would think the same concept applies. However the text I highlighted above suggest you still need a NTSC TV which supports 50Hz and 3.58Mhz color carrier.

The colour PS logo on boot suggests to me that the output IS switching from 60Hz to 50Hz when the game loads but you'd need to confirm that by looking at whatever manual came with the PAL > NTSC adapter being used. If there is a way to force it to output 60Hz then I'd try doing that.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 3rd-July-2017 at 23:39.