Thread: MAME used to see all ROMS, not anymore

Thanks

Default MAME used to see all ROMS, not anymore

greetings!

I've downloaded the complete MAME packs off of here as well as all the updates available from the fullset ROM section but I'm running into a bit of a problem.

When i was on my previous computer, I don't remember which version and/or frontend for MAME i was using but I distinctly remember it saw and ran most every ROM i had, even 3D games like the Street Fighter EX games, and CPS3 games like Third Strike and such

but now, after downloading the same romset off of here and the latest version of MAMEUI64, most games on there aren't working, I'm getting driver errors for the qsound file, and I'm generally not sure why it's not seeing a lot of ROMS I definitely have and other emulators pick up fine; I haven't checked all of them, but I can tell about three quarters of CPS1/2 and all CPS3 roms don't work, all Neo-Geo roms don't work, and generally most roms are giving me errors about bad dumps and missing files, even if they work fine when running them with Final Burn Alpha or Kawaks and the like. And yes, I do have all the necessary bios files for those machines.

I'm guessing that this is an issue of the latest version of MAME not agreeing with the ROMs I have, but if that's the case, then which version/frontend could you recommend me for the full set I got from this site?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You will either want an older version of MAME or a newer rom set

http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/ is a good place to grab an older version

Kawaks uses older roms as does FBA and neither use what MAME uses only partially

Actually sounds like you are missing a lot more than you think from the latest set

qsound is a separate rom from the games it is the sound board that is dumped that all CPS2 games use

CPS games should just work but if you are indeed using an older set and the latesr version of MAME looks for anything that is not there or was redumped the older sets will become invalid/incomplete

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

great, thank you, just one quick question, how can I know exactly how much older the version of MAME I need (if that's the problem) is? or is it just a trial and error kinda thing

again, thanks for your help

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you can go two ways trial and error

or you can scan and verify but to be honest that is trial and error also as you will need to scan via each version of MAME anyway using ClrMamePro (it's a rom auditing program)

ClrMamePro is also used for the update packs as they do not contain full roms but only what was changed or added and should not be copied to the actual roms folder (doping so would make more rom files inside the zips be missing (the ones that did not need updating would get removed and only have the upated and new roms resulting in more broken than fixed)) but instead ran through ClrMamePro to add the missing/updated roms from the update pack to the existing roms

P.S. I am guessing you have CHD's missing for the CPS3 games if they say roms/chd's are missing
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-May-2017 at 18:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Yes, I think so

I'll check that out later, thank you!