Thread: ePSXe 2.0.5 ps1 dualshock controller mapping problem

Thanks

Default ePSXe 2.0.5 ps1 dualshock controller mapping problem

I have ePSXe version 2.0.5 on Windows 10.

I'm trying to connect and map my PS1 dualshock to play emulated games with it instead of keyboard.
    (I also own the original simplest PS1 controller, but the problem stays the same).

I'm using a blue twin connector like this one
    It came as "plug & go", without any drives or additional software. That is how it simply works - see 2)

1) The controller itself works - I have tested it on my PS1 console. Everything works - buttons, vibration, analog sticks.
    2) Windows 10 recognizes it (controller plugged to blue connector plugged to USB) when it's plugged in. I can see it's plugged in in "Devices and Printers" - "Twin usb joystick". When I went to check it (right-click "Twin usb joystick" - "Game controller settings" - Properties), I tested every single button and analog sticks. I see (feedback on the test screen) whenever a button is pressed or analog stick moved. Therefore, I didn't do any extra calibration.
    3) Emulator installation: I just unpacked ePSXe v2.0.5 and took the default settings. I don't have any plugins and didn't add a BIOS or anything.
    4) First I plugged the controller in, then I started the emulator.
    5) I chose "Config"-"Game Pads"-"Port 1"-"Pad 1".
    6) I chose "1irectInput" and "[SCPH-1200] DualShock". Here is where the trouble starts.

The problem:
    When I try to map a button e.g. L1 (the default is e.g. 'E' on keyboard), I click in the box ('E' disappears), then I press L1 button and - nothing happens. As if nothing was pressed. And the box remains blank.
    This happens for all the buttons (even analog stick press-down).

The funniest thing:
    When I try to map the analog sticks - e.g. I move the left analog stick up and down while the cursor is in the left analog stick's up'n'down box - it works! I see "J1_LY" appearing. And if I move it left-right, I see the thing in the box change to "J1_LX".

So it looks like the "key" mapping works only with analog sticks, but does not with any of the buttons.

I find this odd, because googling this problem I've seen people having the opposite problem - controller buttons work, but analog sticks don't.

Could anyone please help me with this? Is it a plugin thing?

Somehow I find it weird that the controller is a-ok in Windows devices, but ePSXe has problems seeing it in "whole" - just analog stick movements, but doesn't see a pressed button. I tried to to the same configuration (all of the pre-sets 1)-5) were the same) with ePSXe v1.7.0 and the problem was the same.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try pressing the analog switch on the controller.

Failing that, a program like Joytokey or xPadder will let you set keyboard keys in the emulator, and set the controller keys to those buttons. You would leave L1 set to E in ePSXe, and then set E as L1 in the joytokey/xpadder.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have that very same PSX to PC adaptor, it runs just fine with everything.

does the controller respond with a test in the devices and printers menu?

If so its just epsxe being junk like usual.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I have that very same PSX to PC adaptor, it runs just fine with everything.

does the controller respond with a test in the devices and printers menu?

If so its just epsxe being junk like usual.
    Yep, the controller perfectly responds when I test it in Devices and Printers.

I even tried adding some of the controller plug-ins, but I had some sort of problem with each one.

I'll try with JoyToKey or xPadder, then I'll report back how it went.

EDIT:-

I tried JoyToKey - it did the job!
    It's great, really simple and quick to set-up.

However, there is a little glitch. When I configure my key mapping and test it e.g. in Notepad, again all of the buttons work except for the directional buttons.
    Then I turn on analog sticks and suddenly directional buttons are working ok whenever analog is turned on.
    Even though I don't use analog sticks, and I didn't even configure them.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-June-2017 at 03:09.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

D-Pad analog off and the Left Stick with analog on share the same mapping

So when you config the D-Pad while analog is off you also config the left stick when analog is on and the D-Pad is mapped differently while analog is enabled on the pad

I think it's the Stick 1 you need to setup for the D-Pad to work with analog off
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-June-2017 at 03:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR