Thread: PS2 repair help

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default PS2 repair help

I was removing old broken ps2 30001 r's damaged spindle and laser ribbons and slipped when putting the drive back into the case and broke off a 2c 47uf 16v capacitor from the back near the fan. So I was wondering if I could resoder the capacitor back to the board with some wire and it would work, i already have the cables I was replacing put in. The power comes on the fan spins but with component and composite I get no sound or video, so can it be fixed or did I sink $22 into a sinking ship?

EDIT: Well I soldered it to the board but still only the fan kicks in could I have fried something when I turned it on without the part the first time?
    Last edited by soratron; 13th-May-2017 at 17:19.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks

There is a chance the capacitor you soldered now has a connection but is short circuited? This isn't my area of expertise however IF it is ruined, it would be a good idea to check if they have a replacement power part for your version online if you cant get it to work to save you some money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-PS2-Play...-/321118564124

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the link my dad has a jar of old pc capac,transis,resisters floating about.... Somewhere, that might have the capacitor in it and we'll test that and see if it runs with a new one installed if not i'll buy a new motherboard and keep the old one to probably build a ps2 clone with the ee gsm chips.

ps. I'll have him check the power board for a short as well the new capac would be because one leg broke of.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks

alright, good luck!