Thread: What are dat files?

Thanks

Default What are dat files?

Hi I do not know which topic to post this question, mods please move to relevant forum. I am a complete newbie to roms and romsets and I want to know what "dat" files are which are associated to rom sets and their purpose for roms? Are they important and do I need to download these dat files to use the roms?

Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

dat files contain information that can checked against zip files with the roms inside with tools like clrmamepro that most dat files are made for use with

there are other programs that can use dat files though they may use a different format to what clrmamepro uses, programs like romcenter that is a much more gui auditing program but can also act as a front end

If it was me though I would stick to auditing with clrmamepro to make sure nothing goes wrong, romcener is a nicer program to look at but it is also very buggy

What you can do with dats and clrmamepro

A simple scan of basic rom sets and it will tell you if you are missing anything
    You can also create a fix dat that can be used by others to help you find missing roms

Advanced features are mostly for MAME sets, when updating or repairing sets
    e.g. you can rebuild sets from an update pack, it will scan through the update pack and add roms to the MAME set where applicable, this handy because each mame game zip hols lots of roms not just one file per zip
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-May-2017 at 18:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR