Thread: Xbox unleashx issues

Thanks

Default Xbox unleashx issues

Hello,
    I am having issues launching games that were FTPed over to my soft modded xbox (unleashx) of 15 games only 2 worked. then i read about deleting the cache so i cleared the cache folder in E: and cleared the x,y,z folders. now 3 more games work but many will not. It seems that after i play 2-3 games i must clear the cache or ones that did work fine will not launch..strange. Also I get a message saying there are not enough free blocks to save a game when launching most titles. Is there a place i can expand this? Thanks for responding!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just sounds like you have ran out of space

If you did not upgrade the HDD it is only apx 8GB

So sounds like you have 5 games fully uploaded and working and 10 games that are part uploaded due to lack of space

P.S. some games may require fixes to run from the bricks HDD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I should have stated it is a 250gb hdd with about 85gb in use

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Does UnleashX have a file browser? if so how much space does it actually show for your C, E and F drive

(I use XBMC for my Xbox mostly and avalaunch for faster FTP access so not sure about UnleashX)

What games are not working (please include region) and in what way do they not work?

Did the games come as files or an iso?

What software was used to FTP?

What region is your Xbox?

If you use component cables and own a 1.6 xbox that will cause issues with some games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-April-2017 at 03:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

The most obvious question is: where is the Games folder actually located?

If its on the E:\drive then that is the problem. DLC, game's and other emulator and application data are written to UDATA/TDATA, both also on the E:\drive. It is easy to use up the fixed capacity of the E:\drive, particularly if that is where the Games folder is as well. But this could be the case wherever your Games folder is located eg. F:\Games. So even then, if the E:\drive is effectively full, you could still get the sort of problem described.

You can have Games folder on the E:\, F:\ and G:\drives, the normal UnleashX Config.xml has paths written to include all three locations, so even if you've been installing games to F:\Games there might be previously installed games in E:\Games or E:\Emulators too using up the space on that drive. There's nothing wrong with using multiple Games folders as long as you keep an eye on the the E:\drive's free space.

Avalaunch actually warns you about low E:\drive free space causing problems and it does.

I once made the mistake of adding a whole load of skins and unnecessarily large Apps/Emulator icon files to Avalaunch with it just running from E:\Apps. It gave me that warning, which I ignored, and at some point when there was less than 200MB free space left on E:\ I started having display issues whenever I booted Avalaunch.

The main menu became sluggish, nothing would run ie. games, apps, emulators and menu items were missing or amalgamated with others. If it had been my main dash it could have been a real problem. The free space warning only disappears when you have about 900MB available on E:\.

UnleashX and XBMC are not as sensitive but 'low' E:\drive free space and related issues can affect them too. In short never fill any drive to capacity. I try to keep it below 90% which, for the E:\drive, means >500MB of free space.

Excluding any possible hardware trouble there's another outside possibility too for the OP's problems. If the F:\drive, which should have been separately formatted after the new HDD install, wasn't enabled from within UnleashX's settings then its not actually being used.

The last possible cause I can think of is that the games FTPed over were double packed ie. when they were (un)zipped or (un)RARed they were accidentally put into a sub-folder creating a second folder level. This is VERY common and worth checking for.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 4th-May-2017 at 22:26.

Thanks

I think this is the issue. My E:\ drive seems full from 2 games i placed on the previous hard drive before cloning. All but these 2 games are on the F:\ drive so I will remove them from E:\ and see if things improve. Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

Hope it as simple as that.

Two official games can easily use up all the free E:\drive space. The largest Xbox game listed is PAL - Rallisports Challenge 2 which is just over 6GB and by itself could exceed the free space but there are many others which are 3GB or more so two of those could easily reduce the free space to a few hundred MBs.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would be tempted to wipe those partitions after E: and resize them anyway giving you equal space on all partitions (Do not touch the C or E drive though) best time to do that would of been during the cloning process, so maybe best to leave E as it is for now and just not store games on it at all or maybe just the one game that you know will just fit on there with ample of space left for other things

If I remember correctly all saves are stored on the E: drive anyway and you have little choice on that (That does include the exploit used for softmod users, hence not to format or wipe the E drive)

The Xbox HDD format is an odd one to start with and has a lot of limits when compared with PC formatting and is worth taking note for like file depth and the number of files per folder and the number of folders in the root ect even the number of saves allowed is rather low 240 save folders

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 lists a bunch of Xbox HDD FATX limits for you

F: and G: should be the locations for your games homebrew ect (Reasonably sure you can't actually use any more partitions after that (It has been a while since I pulled the Xbox out though so could be mistaken), the others shown are shadow drives)

There is also a limit on the full amount of space per partition that can be used not correctly detailed in the guide I wrote so long ago, that I am sure is actually less than the 1TB that 64 KB clusters supports and anything in that space used after that point will not be readable even though it is there in it's fullest without corruption
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-May-2017 at 15:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

If you use the latest Chimp261812. which a very active Xbox guy has been updating regularly with the approval and help of its originator, then cluster size in the extended partitions shouldn't be an issue as that is now done automatically.

That matter only becomes an important issue in HDDs larger than 500GB anyway and Leviathan024 is using a 250GB one. I've always thought it pretty pointless creating a G:\drive unless you are using those larger capacity HDDs anyway.

I wouldn't bother reformatting F:\ unless it wasn't done properly before; Chimp261812 will do that as will XBPartitioner v1.3 of course. If the problem was the low E:\drive free space then simply moving the E:\Games content to F:\Games using UnleashX's file explorer should do the job although I would clear the contents of the E:\CACHE file if present and Shutdown and Restart afterwards so that the new location of the games can be written to the item.xml.

If there is any problem with them not being picked up then copy the item.xml to a temporary folder on F:\ as backup and delete the original and Restart again. UnleashX will automatically regenerate the item.xml and if it still doesn't pickup the moved or FTPed games then there is some other problem.

BTW even with Homebrew games and Emulators on F:\ or G:\ most of them don't save to their own folders. They save settings and game saves to E:\UDATA and TDATA or create a new folder E:\SAVES using up more E:\drive space.

Thanks

Thanks for all the good information! I removed the 2 games games from the E: drive and now everything is working fine. I was not able to run actual legit discs,save any data and could only open 6 out of 15 games but now all is well. If anyone has these issues in the future maybe this can also help them.