Thread: Wii ISO's on FAT32 HDD (for Mac users)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Wii ISO's on FAT32 HDD (for Mac users)

Hi guys,

I have a modded Wii U and use a 1TB HDD (external powered) formatted to FAT32 with 32kb clusters for my Wii and GC backups (and an SD card for the older gen games). All of my Wii ISO's and a few WBFS files are larger than 4GB, which obviously cannot be read on a FAT32 drive.

So, my question is how do I play these files from my FAT32 drive? I've Googled this and Wii Backup Manager seems to always pop up as the solution, but I have a Mac and I don't think it is available for a Mac. Is there an alternative solution for us Mac users?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I think some loaders can use NTFS partition (from my reading at least one can anyway) and that doesn't have 4GB file size limit. Only thing is DIOS MIOS doesn't like NTFS afaik (maybe I'm wrong)...so I guess you would have to look at 2 partitions, one NTFS for Wii and one FAT32 for NGC.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I think some loaders can use NTFS partition (from my reading at least one can anyway) and that doesn't have 4GB file size limit. Only thing is DIOS MIOS doesn't like NTFS afaik (maybe I'm wrong)...so I guess you would have to look at 2 partitions, one NTFS for Wii and one FAT32 for NGC.
    Thanks for the response deadlegion. I actually found a solution and forgot to post it here.

I found a program called Witgui which was extremely easy to use. You just drag and drop your iso/wbfs files and you tell the program the default file path/name you want. It will output a wbfs file and also automatically split files larger than 4.19GBs, with the extra file having a wbf1 extension. The software is for Wii games only. For GCN I just manually created all the folders in the form of USB/games/Game name [Game ID]/game.iso structure, which seems to be common knowledge.

FYI for Wii games, the only file path that would work for me is USB/wbfs/game ID.wbfs. Putting games in their own folders did not work for some reason. I use WiiFlow as my default Loader btw. USB Loader GX would freeze on startup every time my HDD would initialize. For WiiFlow I also found that I would first have to go in to Startup settings and change the USB port # in order to display the games, even if the correct port was showing there by default. I only had to do this the first time or after reloading the cache.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kylec7 For This Useful Post: