Thread: 3DS question - flashcart solutions/hacking or whatever

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default 3DS question - flashcart solutions/hacking or whatever

Sooo, it was very easy to play pretty much any game for the NDS after just purchasing a flashcart along with an SD-card and whatever. Why can't the 3DS be equally simple to tinker with? I barely have the time to wipe my own ass after going to the bathroom - there's no way I'll ever spend the time required to actually understand all this technobabble.

Basically, I was hoping that someone here actually knows shit and could help an old jerk out here. The smart money seems to be on CFC/hacking/whatever but I'm really only interested in the solution meaning the last amount of hassle (bonus points also goes out for good rom compatibility/general functionally and not bricking the fucking thing). With this in mind I'm thinking SKY3DS+ along with a new SD-card, since I seem to have lost all my old ones. Is this good? Is this bad? How much of an idiot am I being here? Do I have to think about firmware and shit when actually purchasing the console itself (yeah, I haven't done that yet)? Do I have to buy anything else? Could I mess up the 3DS itself somehow, jumping through the required hoops? Could using the online features/functions be a problem? Again, how much of an idiot am I being here?

Actually getting to my question: someone feeling like answering the questions above? Or even better, does someone feel like telling me exactly what I should do/buy in a friendly and hopefully somewhat demeaning step-by-step manner? Also, do note that it isn't nice to be a jerk about stuff.
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 10th-April-2017 at 19:53.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah I'm not even sure if hackers have sorted out the last firmware update, which messed up homebrew launcher iirc. Also the freeshop everybody was using for some time is gone but some others have popped up instead.

I realise I'm not giving you what you want

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quick answer no

like any other modern console, updates are made not just to fix issues but to block exploits, downgrades and flash kits, making devs/hackers find new ways if they can, but those just get more complex to install in the first place

Not sure you are aware

First thing don't update the firmware (hopefully you have not done so already)
    Secondly Flash Cards for 3DS roms is not needed you can have a 3DS with a DS flash kit in at all time and play 3DS games from the SD card (or Micro SD depending on the model of 3DS) but you need to hack the hell out of the 3DS without screwing it up and updating to a firmware that is too new to hack that I done by accident with my 3DSXL (I just sold it after I done that as it was not bricked or anything I just could not hack it after) he problem comes when you have the option to update something called red nand that I mistakenly updating the real nand instead of the red nand or whatever they called it
    Anyway once hack it you can copy a 3DS game in cia format and install it directly to the SD card then delete the cia file and the game will show directly on the home screen

To do a software mod you do require an entry point though I use Ocarina of Time (get a cheapo second hand copy) that I chopped the corner off and use my DS with a flash kit to flash a new save to the cart that acted as an entry point when you boot it on a 3DS and load the hacked save file (there should be a list of games that this is possible to do that with)

I do own a Gateway but the games do not run any better or worse from it though it may have the odd extra feature (Not used my Gateway in some time though)

EDIT

The Sky3DS does not need an exploit from the sounds of it so should work with any 3DS firmware

Sounds like what you want for the least fuss (It has pros and cons but if all you want is play games it sounds great for you)

I still think it is lame that a handheld of this type is region locked (DS was not) the locking is passed through this flash kit though but most others and nand mods are not region locked

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Sky3DS is worth looking at before you buy the thing so you can look at it's strong points and not so strong points.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-April-2017 at 16:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Late reply: thanks, chaps! Ended up getting a N3DS XL (pink, naturally) and a Sky3ds+. Bypassing the region lock still seems like a fucking hassle (read: something that will require at least a minimum amount of effort) and/or not possible due to the firmware version, but it's better than playing no games at all.

DL: I naturally assume that you'll be reporting back to me soon with the demeaning step-by-step guide. Just because.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elmdor Rizer For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There could just be a regional patch for roms you know

Not looked though never had a need for that

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    DL: I naturally assume that you'll be reporting back to me soon with the demeaning step-by-step guide. Just because.
    GBAtemp and possibly Wololo will have guides. My o3DS XL isn't hacked, same with my Vita...but I do like to go check what's going on sometimes.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My New 3DSXL is very hacked and is very much region free but it was not the easiest of hacks to follow and did end up updating my o3DSXL instead of updating the Emulated Nand (Red Nand I think it was) hence I sold that and got a New 3DSXL and hacked it the same day I got it

My Vita is also Soft modded though that was very very easy to mod, takes seconds to do, you basically visit a web page, but you must be on a certain firmware, I also dpne my Playstation TV with the same soft mod (it's a TV box not an actual TV) it's basically a Vita that connects to a TV again very easy to do

Wololo is your best bet for hacking the 3DS though just be careful with it and take each step slowly re-read and double check everything as you go, though there is an emu-nand guide for playing region free also but that has a bit involved in it and again only doable on certain firmware versions not all and reasonably easy to mess up

Region Free patching is very much an option though and a reasonably simply process, but you do need to decrypt the game before you can get to the patching stage but has no chance of effecting the 3DS in any negative way

Youtube may have region free guides though I would be inclined to patch the games for your region rather than region free that may not work with the kit you are using (Just Decrypt a game from your region first take note of the Hex located in the same pos as the guides state to change and copy that into any game you want to change the region in)

the 3DS tool called regionthree is also worth a look at and is another more simple way to play region free including from the Sky3DS kit
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2017 at 15:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]