Thread: Usb loader gx black screens every game, was fine yesterday!!

Thanks

Default Usb loader gx black screens every game, was fine yesterday!!

Hey guys, I'm new here and posting in forums in general, don't know exactly where and how to start but here it goes:
    I softmodded a Wii a couple of years ago, don't know which guide I followed then, but i had and still have a 1TB seagate hdd partitioned, half wbfs, half ntfs, with 150+ Wii games, and every game worked flawlessly, so last week I decided to take the Wii out of the box again and I updated everything, re-modded it using mod-mii and it was good like a couple of years ago, been playing it plenty, every game working fine.

Was playing yesterday for a couple of hours, turned the Wii off, today, try to play again and every single game I tried gives me instant black screen, and I tried almost everyone, have to hard reset console, happens with wiiflow, usb loader gx and cf loader or something.

I've been crawling up the walls searching every forum there is, there's a lot of black screens "complaints" but none quite exactly like mine, but even so I tried all the solutions given, to no avail.

The only thing I did, after I stopped playing was convert Domino Rally to wbfs and getting it onto the hdd, no errors, already reversed it to try and see if it was what was causing the issue but did nothing.
    Wanted to try to fix this before formatting hdd 'case it's 1TB.....
    But I really don't think that's the problem since I have another one just like it and it loads Gamecube games fine, although they eventually "ERROR ENCOUNTERED......", using Nintendont.
    And I also formatted and wbfs'ed a couple of games onto an usb stick to try and it happens the samething.

Don't know what else can I say, I can post syscheck since I'm not to good retaining ios and cios numbers and what was and was not installed etc.
    But if you guys could help it would be really appreciated, just let me know if you need anymore info.
    And sorry for the long post =\
    Cheers

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Personally I would backup all the games then reformat to Fat32 with 32 cluster size [all partitions] (you need a 3rd party format tool as current versions of windows do not format with 32 cluster size but it is the best format for the Wii consoles)

but before doing that though try and backup a single game, delete that one game and re-copy it

I know you will ask why Fat32 with the 32 clusters, well wbfs is more corrupt-able as a drive format, the file format is more stable but that can be used with a wbfs, ntfs and fat32, Fat32 with 32 clusters is the only drive format GC games and the few GC based arcade hardware games can run from (Not sure if that in-fact has changed or not) Fat 32 can accept anything you give it like Virtual Nand with WiiWare/VC, Wii games & Homebrew (including emulators) (already mentioned GameCube on Fat 32)

The file size limit for Fat32 drives is not applicable as wbfs files will be auto resized into smaller chunks for anything above the file size limit, the wii will see the split files as a single game via loader like USB Loader GX

There may still be a 500 Wii/GC game limit per partition though, so still best to partition the drive, though you may want to consider different partitions for Homebrew / Virtual Nand / Wii Games / GC games

My Homebrew Partition also has the Wii games PC transfer software on there that I set to auto run when it is hooked up to a PC

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hey there, thanks for the reply, already done that.

I've already tried the following after the first post:
    -another hdd and usb stick, tried both wfbs and fat32 with 32k size;
    -updated everything with mod-mii;
    -re-softmodded with mod-mii;
    -re-softmodded (yet again) using mauifrog guide 01/23/2017; Ithink this was the first one I used a couple of years ago, now updated;
    Followed everything strictly for all of the tries above.

I attempted one at a time and all ended up the same, black screen, and funny is that GameCube games continue to load and play.
    I was thinking maybe the Wii dvd drive has something to do with it because it is not working but I've read in several posts and forums that a non-working drive is not an issue, (still ordered another one just the same), and also everything was working flawlessly the day before.
    I've hit a really big wall, I think I've tried almost everything I could, should I revert the console to factory and do everything again?
    Some say it's not advisable.
    I'm completely lost, I'm a 360 guy but love gaming in general, almost every console, but none comes close to offer what Wii games offer, I just love the gimmicky of the controls when they are well made.
    Don't know what else to do!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you tried running the USB Loader of choice both from a forwarder and from the homebrew channel?

You may of ended up using an ios that does not work with wii games IOS 58 is what the loader itself will use and most games work via IOS 249 (found in the USB Loader GX settings, I would set that as default but try that for a game you know should work first) you can use https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Ga...tibility_Table as a reference, though it is outdated, if the default IOS used was changed that would indeed mess all the games up

stick to fat32 with 32k and a USB HDD for testing

SD card is just too slow, USB flash drives have more issues than USB HDD drives, USB flash issues are fixable though (don't remember the exacts off the top of my head)

disc drive indeed has zero effect to HDD loading
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-April-2017 at 16:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ok so, yes I tried that, from forward channel and directly from HBC, same thing happened.
    I know that part about ios, I know usb loader gx is using 249 and games are also using 249, as they've been always, except CoD's and a couple more that have specific ios.

I know about SD's and usb sticks, just did it to put things aside, thanks.
    And really glad to know about the dvd drive as I remember reading something, when I first softmodded the Wii, about the need to have an original game disc in there.
    Already checked that list also thanks again.

One thing I think I didn't quite understood is the part where you say "if the default IOS used was changed that would indeed mess all the games up".
    My usb loader gx has in settings "Loader's ios 249" and "Game's ios 249", from what I can remember it's always been like this, but now it only loads Gamecube games.
    What do you mean by that exactly!? and if the settings above are incorrect what can I do!?
    Thanks again!!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The USB loader should be on IOS 58, though can't see that changing much if anything unless it is conflicting because the loader is using the same IOS and the Wii games, GC games use different settings

Also if any of the IOS files are modded directly this can also have bad side effects

I would not know have to restore your Wii back to Default everything though, aka system restore, but might be worth looking up

P.S. is your Drive actually dead, have you got any original Wii games to even test that with (Burnt games is hit and miss especially as some media is just junk and hard for most console drives to read even when they are perfect)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hmmmm, also usb loader gx only launches nintendont.
    So I'll try and go to MMM and load ios 58 and then try usb loader gx, and change the settings to see if it works, or is there a better way??

Also, how can I find if any ios is modded directly and if they are how can I "unmod" them or install "original" ones, any idea!?

P.S. yes, it is really dead, I never used burnt games, mine is a black Wii, although with gamecube controller and memory card ports, the drive doesn't support burnt games, I tried when the drive worked because I have my favourite games in dvd, all originals, about 15.
    I also took the console apart to try to fix the drive but no success.
    Thank you very much again, I'll be looking on the system restore on my day off, if I can't fix it any other way maybe I'll try that...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MMM if I remember has the ios tools included and does give information for each, though even that will advise you not to mess with them unless you know what you are doing as doing so can potentially brick your wii or stop certain functionallity

Think of ios as drivers

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hey guys I have the same problem with super mario smash bros brawl y new super mario in usb loader gx but yesterday I was using my usb with wiiflow new super mario bros worked fine, but then I put the game super smash bros brawl when mario appeared my wii got freeze! Then my wii didn't recognize my usb so I formatted my usb and put the game again but it still doing the same with my games in black screen and freeze it

I hacked my wii by watching this video
    https://youtu.be/gKPEgwbCFa8
    Last edited by Cmga09788; 6th-August-2017 at 16:33.

Thanks

Personally I have found that using cheat codes with some games, or simply having the cheats on the SD card makes my USB-Loader GX malfunction. I'm not sure if it's a scripting issue, or a problem with the offsets just being present, but perhaps if you have some certain cheats on, that it may be the cause of your issue. I really doubt it, because I'm more into modding PSX, and Xbox, I'm no wii expert. Try it though. Or you may have a bad copy of a game.

Make sure your USB is in the USB slot closer to the edge, not the one closer to the center of the vertical console. As that port is not recognized nor used for wii homebrew purposes and may cause issues.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 7th-August-2017 at 03:30. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Maybe is my isos bc i downloaded black ops andbut the game it is in loading how can i fix my iso?