Thread: Rasberry pi 3b running retropie and psx games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Rasberry pi 3b running retropie and psx games.

Hey all,

New to all this emulation gaming so looking for a little help with psx games.

Due to illness and to help with my recovery, my friend decided to get me a rasberry pi 3b and ive installed retropie and have put on a few of the games i used to play as a kid.
    Resident evil1 & 2, Tomb Raider 1 & 3, Silent hill and Metal Gear Solid, all of these were .bin and .cue files.

Im trying to get Tomb Raider 2 and have downloaded a few of the roms from this site but they are of a different file format?

One of the roms have (.ccd-.ing.ecm-.sub)

Another has multiple .bin files and 1 .cue file

Then there's another rom with multiple .ape files and a .bin.ecm.

Is there anything i need to do to these to get them to play? Do i need to convert to .bin.cue like the other games i have.

I thank you in advance for any help received.

PS: Please be kind in replies guys if you can, my illness makes it difficult for me to read lots and i suffer from slight memory loss.

Thanks
    EP Points

According to my experience, as long as you have a .cue it will work. The best format is .eboot: PSX2PSP games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cioraninvertido View Post
    According to my experience, as long as you have a .cue it will work. The best format is .eboot: PSX2PSP games.
    Hey Cioraninvertido,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Im a real novice at this so im trying to pick up stuff as i go.

Would i need to convert game to EBOOT.PBP?

Also in retropie would i put EBOOT in psx folder or in psp folder.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're welcome man.

There is no real need to convert to EBOOT.PBP, but doing so can save space and, again according to my experience, increase compatibility (and it's specially useful when using more than 1 disc games, since all discs can be merged in one file).

Those files have to be put in psx folder (I don't know what would happen if putting in psp one, BTW).

Thanks
    EP Points

Soz Cioraninvertido,

but which files are you referring to to go into psx folder? the EBOOT file or the files i mentioned in my first post.

My understanding, or what ive read is that the retropie psx emulator needs .bin and .cue.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From what you have

img+ccd is fine you run that from the ccd file
    bin+cue is also fine ran from the cue file

multi bin + cue will be best to convert to a single bin+cue ecm+ape the same applies convert toa single bin+cue

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57757 is a guide for converting, do not use programs like Magic ISO or simulator though to convert file formats of PSX games as they do not support the XA header used by most PSX games, the software used in the guide does support it though

both bin+cue and img+ccd should be able to be converted with PSX2PSP 1.4 if you really want an eboot, it is true that can save space though compat will not change at all (PSX2PSP will ask for the Binary file directly but will still read the cue or ccd file)

Img and Bin are almost the exact same format
    cue files tell whatever software reading them what tracks are included in the binary, it is just a text file, ccd does the exact same same but is not editable in a text editor

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

This man does explain himself greatly! Follow his advice!

P.S. Every PS game you want to play (any format) must be in psx folder.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    From what you have

img+ccd is fine you run that from the ccd file
    bin+cue is also fine ran from the cue file

multi bin + cue will be best to convert to a single bin+cue ecm+ape the same applies convert toa single bin+cue

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57757 is a guide for converting, do not use programs like Magic ISO or simulator though to convert file formats of PSX games as they do not support the XA header used by most PSX games, the software used in the guide does support it though

both bin+cue and img+ccd should be able to be converted with PSX2PSP 1.4 if you really want an eboot, it is true that can save space though compat will not change at all (PSX2PSP will ask for the Binary file directly but will still read the cue or ccd file)

Img and Bin are almost the exact same format
    cue files tell whatever software reading them what tracks are included in the binary, it is just a text file, ccd does the exact same same but is not editable in a text editor

Zorlon, thanks for the info and for the link for converting files.

Will take some time to read and work my way through but I have plenty of time on my side at the minute due to recovery.

So looking forward to playing more and more of my old school games.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cioraninvertido View Post
    This man does explain himself greatly! Follow his advice!

P.S. Every PS game you want to play (any format) must be in psx folder.
    Thanks for your help Cioraninvertido,

So glad I came across this forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rogerde For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Why was eboot and PSX2PSP ever mentioned in this thread? How is PSP PS1 emulation relevant to playing PS1 games on a Raspberry Pi? Bugger me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Why was eboot and PSX2PSP ever mentioned in this thread? How is PSP PS1 emulation relevant to playing PS1 games on a Raspberry Pi? Bugger me.
    Are you serious?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Holds my hands up I never bothered with my Pi it's still in it's box

I have plenty of consoles with lesser console emulation even an android box with the odd emulator on it so messing with emulation on the Pi is not really going to add much for me

I do know what formats are good for emulation in general though that my advise is based on

eboots are playable with ePSXe but would not know for retropie psx emulation myself

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Any advice is good for me as i have know knowledge on emulation or the rasberry pi/retropie.

Ive done the softmod on a wii before but that was a few years ago before i had my opp.

My main problem was converting to .bin .cue as i thought that was the only files i could use.

Now i know that img+ccd are ok to use also its great.

Thanks again guys.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rogerde For This Useful Post: