Thread: Trading Pokémon with VBA-Link 1.8

Thanks

Default Trading Pokémon with VBA-Link 1.8

I'm trying to trade Pokémon between Sapphire and Emerald to eventually complete the Pokédex in Sapphire. But it doesn't work when I try to. I know Sapphire isn't compatible with the Wireless adapter, so it's unchecked. ''Pause when inactive window'' is unchecked too. I choose network on both, start the server, connect them together. It gives the message that they're both connected. Then I go to the Trade Center girl in the PokéCenter upstairs in both games. Then when I start trading it works until I enter the trading room where it gives the message ''Link error... Check your Game Link cable connection, and turn the power off and on.'' for Sapphire and the other similar message on Emerald. For some obscure reasons, I managed once to trade Mudkip in Emerald for Machoke in Sapphire. And as soon as Machoke started evolving, both games crashed. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry for my shitty English...

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember having some issues with this exact same thing(but different pokemon games) in the past. You need to use vba-link 1.7.2 and not 1.8. Pretty much setup is the same, but don't forget to run vbaserver.exe(the 1.8 version doesn't seem to come with it, just use 1.7.2). Even for LAN connections the vbaserver.exe needs to be running(start vbaserver.exe before starting vba-link 1.7.2). You should be able to find version 1.7.2 from here Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 28th-March-2017 at 16:28.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    I remember having some issues with this exact same thing(but different pokemon games) in the past. You need to use vba-link 1.7.2 and not 1.8. Pretty much setup is the same, but don't forget to run vbaserver.exe(the 1.8 version doesn't seem to come with it, just use 1.7.2). Even for LAN connections the vbaserver.exe needs to be running(start vbaserver.exe before starting vba-link 1.7.2). You should be able to find version 1.7.2 from here Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Thank you for answering though I'm not quite sure to understand how 1.7.2 works, does it have to be in the One Computer mode or LAN? One Computer doesn't work and when I connect it to Localhost in LAN there's an Error Code: 11004. What do I have to do with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Its basically exactly the same as 1.8, its just a slightly older version of the program. I had it working with LAN. You basically set it up the same way you described in you first post, but make sure to run vbaserver.exe and set it to 2 players BEFORE you start vba-link. Oh and make sure the the link timeout setting is set to 10000. You probably already know this, but you'll have to be running 2 copies of vba-link at the same time. 1 for each game you're trying to trade between. I'd recommend setting them to different control setups.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 28th-March-2017 at 21:52.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    Its basically exactly the same as 1.8, its just a slightly older version of the program. I had it working with LAN. You basically set it up the same way you described in you first post, but make sure to run vbaserver.exe and set it to 2 players BEFORE you start vba-link. Oh and make sure the the link timeout setting is set to 10000. You probably already know this, but you'll have to be running 2 copies of vba-link at the same time. 1 for each game you're trying to trade between. I'd recommend setting them to different control setups.
    I downloaded VBAServer and it gives the good message I guess, it basically says that it's waiting for 2 players to connect, but how do I connect to it? Whenever I try to connect to something (localhost included) it still does the Error 11004, what am I doing wrong now?

Thanks
    EP Points

did you set the timeout to 10000 under link settings? Also if you're behind a router you need to port forward port 5378. Also i'm not sure what that error code means offhand, couldn't find much about it on google. Maybe someone else around emuparadise knows what it means.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 29th-March-2017 at 03:26.