Thread: Greatest Retro Horror Games Released PRE-Playstation 2

Thanks
    EP Points

Thumbs up Greatest Retro Horror Games Released PRE-Playstation 2

I am putting together a serious list of the best horror games ever made before the release of the Playstation 2. This is a very hard task, even after hours of research it seems most consoles like the SNES, N64, Gameboy(all versions), and Sega simply don't have much to offer in this category. But I did manage to find a few hidden gems and a few that are unfortunately not available on emuparadise but are easily searchable on Google to find (mainly the english translations)

LIST IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER
    Please let me know if you feel you have contenders for this list. No, Zombies Ate my Neighbors is not a horror game, I'm talking REAL horror here. Games that linger in your psyche and play tricks on your mind, or at the bare minimum have horrific scenes in them that cause unsettling feelings. I was hesitant not to put games like Metroid on here which do have a very valid sense of atmosphere but unfortunately just don't seem to cut it as they are more action than horror. Let me know what you think!

Clock Tower - The First Fear
    PSX
    This is a game that is on most top old school horror lists, but this particular version is a remake of the original and rather than including the original SNES I chose this version because the textures are updated, the sounds are updated and it seems like it could capture that feeling of unease just a bit more than it's SNES counterpart. However, feel free to check out the SNES version which is equally tense! Now this isn't a game I would call psychological horror, unfortunately it is more of a jumpscare/run away/survival kind of horror, but it still seems a cut above the rest of the retro horror games out there. ;-P

Resident Evil 2

N64
    Classic. Needs no introduction, however it is important to note that this is THE NINTENDO 64. Very cool that this game managed to make it onto that console and it manages to be one of the ONLY horror games on the console! Seriously I've been scouring the internet and it seems like there are about 4 horror games for the console and I haven't included them because they just didn't seem like they invoke actual fear but are rather platformers, etc. (though read on and you will see I chose one slightly out of place title from the N64 in this list as well)

Parasite Eve
    PSX
    This game has the atmosphere, the mystery, and the suspense of a survival horror game. Not only is the gameplay interesting but the story actually makes you curious what will happen next and the visuals are pretty cool too! This was one of my favorite games to discover as a kid and I never had the chance to beat it. If only Square Enix would produce more horror games instead of the long-winded and forced dramas they have been producing as of late (Basically after the merger of Squaresoft and Enix Enterprises I have felt like the quality of their narratives have diminished significantly but that is a discussion for another thread!)

Silent Hill
    PSX
    Obviously have to include Silent Hill, the king of horror. The atmosphere sets the bar for all other horror games to follow. Many elements can get annoying and it does feel a bit dated but the story will warp your mind and keep you on your feet until the end! My personal favorite of the series has to be Silent Hill 4: The Room but unfortunately that does not make this list because it is too new!

Out of This World
    SNES
    Also known as "Another World" this is not a psychological horror game but rather a "What the hell is going on and...holy shit WHAT IS CHASING ME WHAT IS THAT WHAT DO I DO" kind of game. The air of mystery and the lack of dialogue makes it a truly original and inventive game that rewards sharp thinking and exploration. It is definitely leaning toward the "Adventure" category but since the SNES is so lacking in actual terrifying horror games, this is pretty much one of the best games they have that comes close to giving that feeling!

Baroque
    Sega Saturn
    Originally a Japanese game, you can easily find an english translation if you search google. This game is a twisted and confusing mystery about a town afflicted by demons and the individual who is attempting to help them by fighting their way through a hellish maze of creepy dungeons fighting amorphous creatures.

Alone In The Dark - The New Nightmare [Disc1of2] [U]
    PSX
    This is my version of choice for the Alone in the Dark series of games. Leaning toward survival horror, it has themes similar to Silent Hill and is worth mentioning on this list for sure.

Alone In The Dark
    DOS(SCUMM VM)
    One of the only SCUMM VM Horror Games worth mentioning. There are about 10 horror titles on SCUMM VM that I have found and most of them are so limited by the hardware and interface that they are difficult to enjoy playing or are simply so cheesy that you feel like you're watching The Evil Dead or some other satire of horror and not genuinely something that will terrify or unnerve you. It still does attempt to push the hardware a bit harder than it could be pushed and therefore there are some difficult action sequences but eh, when you're looking for serious retro horror, this is what you've got!

deSPIRIA
    Dreamcast
    Originally a Japanese only game, there are english translations out there for download and this is one of the most disturbing games ever created on the Dreamcast, let alone any console PRE-PS2. This is one of the most creepy games available on the dreamcast. It is about a train wreck that turns into crazy out of this world horror.

Splatterhouse 3
    Sega Genesis
    One of the only "horror" games on the genesis, and believe me this does not really qualify for horror by my standard definition. Like the original DOOM it is more about the action than it is unnerving you and making you look over your shoulder and question your own sanity. It is, however, one of the better horror games for the Sega Genesis. It has gruesome gore and violence, creepy and disturbing character models, and an okay plot line tying it together. The graphics are also pretty good on this one.

Sweet Home
    NES
    This is the most likely inspiration for the Resident Evil series. Its tough to pull off psychological horror on the SNES, especially in RPG format. The gameplay might suffer a tad for having to grind and level up unnecessarily, but that's the nature of the RPG beast. The animations are creepy, the music is eerie and well done for the era, and the creatures vary from cartoonish and cheesy to unnerving and creepy.

D
    Sega Saturn
    This is a hidden gem, it is unlike most games I have ever played, blending multiple genres together to craft an unnerving and mature game definitely not for kids.

Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil
    N64
    This game, like the original doom, would normally not make the cut on this list but since the N64 has so little to offer in terms of genuine horror I included this game because of all the terrifying creature models and the tense moments where alien creatures are looking for you and you have nowhere to hide but on their creepy alien landscape. It definitely has some scary bosses, tense moments, and gruesome death animations and that is why it makes this list.

ROMHACKS & Unavailable Roms
    Ok so here are some cool ones I discovered that can't be put on the list since they aren't available on Emuparadise
    • NEW In case you missed it a NEW game was released for the Sega Genesis in the horror genre called Sacred Line Genesis and it looks VERY COOL. It is a Visual Novel with mutliple endings and some disturbing art and eerie soundtrack!
    • Romhack Silent Hill Genesis: Yes it is real. Though I don't believe it has officially been finished. There is a downloadable alpha for the game. This was created with the same engine Sacred Line Genesis was created with and looks very promising!
    • Romhack Pokemon Snakewood: I hear it kindof loses its touch as it progresses and has some really lame oversights by the author such as if you choose the wrong starter you basically have to struggle the first half of the game, however it is one of the only RETRO horror games available for the Gameboy, and it is in rom format! There is definitely some cheesy stuff in here but it has it's moments where it is actually pretty creepy.
    • Romhack Earthbound Halloween Romhack: Made by the creator of Undertale, this one is a dark and twisted remake of the famous SNES Earthbound in playable rom format! Don't get too excited though, the game's difficulty may hold it back from being one of the best on this list as from what I can read about it, you'll be doing a lot of grinding and memorizing status effects to beat this game only to have a lackluster and fizzled out ending. HOWEVER, I hear the first half of the game is dark, twisted and very unsettling! Definitely worth checking out!

If you enjoyed this list please leave your comments on the actual list below, as well as in this thread! Let anyone who stumbles across it see your feedback as well. Thanks!

OFFICIAL LIST HERE:
    https://www.emuparadise.me/list/grea...-playstation-2

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SiSiMeN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

The Colonel's Bequest 1989 Dos.

Creepy classic Sierra adventure game and one of the best. A mansion full of relatives and aquaintences of the rich old Colonel trying to get in on his inheritence. Then the bodies start appearing. Who is murdering everyone to be the last one to inherit all that money??? Hint: it isn't the Butler. Play and find out!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Dark Messiah [JPN] / Hellnight [EU] - (PSX).
    Martian Gothic: Unification (PC/PSX) < technically this was released around the same time as the first PS2 console iirc.
    Koukai Sarena Katta Shuki: The Note [JPN] / The Note [EU] - (PSX).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Silent Hill is my favourite. Especially that level with piano.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wait, wait, wait. deSPIRIA was translated? Really? I haven't seen even a sign of a translation project anywhere.
    Same thing about the original version of Baroque. The remake was officially localized; the original was NOT, as far as I'm aware.