Thread: MAME - can not get galaga to work!

Thanks

Somewhat embarrassingly, I've spent about 2 hours trying to get galaga to work on my version of MAME.

I am using a MAC. I have .183 downloaded as well as the front-end programs OpenEMU and Mame OS X.

Here is a screenshot of my roms folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ldz1i783z...01.53.png?dl=0

In terminal, the romset shows as good, as you can see below

Erics-MacBook-Pro:mame ericlinder$ ./mame64 -verifyroms galaga
    romset galaga is good
    1 romsets found, 1 were OK.
    Erics-MacBook-Pro:mame ericlinder$

But when I go into the executable, I get an error: "The selected machine is missing... " (I'm not able to take a screenshot of that for some reason)

I'm hoping the solution is somewhat simple? Thank you SO much!!

Edit: So this is interesting, I downloaded a front-end for Mac and galaga works on it - but what's odd is that the front-end points to the same name directory .... ?!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-March-2017 at 09:07.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can try and extract the 2 roms I mentioned via PM open the galaga zip file and add the extracted roms into it

Try again

The roms I mentioned are stored like that because Galaga is not the only game to use those and saves having duped roms

Sounds like OpenEMU is messing it up as Galaga does not just use the galaga zip file on it's own normally you do need the other roms also so OpenEMU has not taken that into account, not sure as I do not use a Mac but seems a logical explanation
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-March-2017 at 09:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

If you use MAME's front end, it insists that all roms are present and correct, even the optional ones. But running it via a command line, as a real frontend would do, bypasses this necessity.

Thanks

I am doing it through command line ... but now arkanoid won't run ... sigh!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need to audit your games to find out what is missing

-verifyroms [<gamename|wildcard>]

Checks for invalid or missing ROM images. By default all drivers that have valid ZIP files or directories in the rompath are verified; however, you can limit this list by specifying a driver name or wildcard after the -verifyroms command.

MAME -verifyroms arkanoid

Attached is what is missing for Arkanoid to work
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-March-2017 at 13:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Still not working ..,. I have all the BIOS files in in a diredctory inside my roms directory. Interestingly, Mame SHOWS arkanoid as working (it's in the working/available section)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hint most gui versions of MAME let you audit a game from right click and don't just check the main rom but any sub roms

Use the front end instead of OpenEMU the seems to be failing for games with support roms required

The game is working fine on my end with just arkanoid.zip and m68705p5.zip stored in the roms folder (m68705p5 is not a bios dump)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

That worked! I think the issue is it's hard to differentiate a ROM from a bios. I have a bios folder and that zip file was in it, but it only worked when I moved it to the ROM folder (and not a sub-folder).

On a MAC, is there a way to audit a rom to know what file I'm missing, so I don't bother you again?

Also, do you use command line, or do you use a front-end? It seems that the best thing for me to do is just run mame64 (I'm using a MAC)

In MAME64, there's an option for directories - and I see something called "software media" - is that the same as bios? I'm worried about having all roms/bios/etc in ONE directory
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 11th-March-2017 at 11:19. Reason: no double posting, please

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All roms bios or otherwise all go in the roms folder

MAME does not and never has used a separate bios folder, all roms, bios or otherwise all go in the roms folder directly (no sub directories are used for rom chip dump files)

CHD files tend to go in a sub folder of roms named the same as the main rom set it is part of, CHD's are not rom chip dumps though, instead they are dumps of other media such as CD's, DVD's, HDD's, GD-Roms ect ect

all the rom chip dumps all go in the roms folder directly (this includes bios chips and any other board chips dumped)

the only exceptions are the CHD's dumps that are placed in a sub folder of roms that shares the same name as the games rom zip file

Samples and other support files that are not roms have there own folders already set out

Some support files like cheats and history data get stored in the root folder of MAME
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-March-2017 at 14:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Gotcha.

One other question. I'm playing windowed, and a lot of the games look "stretched" to me ... When I resize the window on my Mac, it looks right, but I have to do that for every game ... Are there settings I should be using? Here's what I mean. This is what it looks like without me doing anything:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj9rivwnsb...15.40.png?dl=0

And here is when I move the window (and I think it looks better):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7rpmxqxva...16.00.png?dl=0

How can I get that to be the default? Thanks!!!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You got me there by default the Res should auto adjust anyway

If you are using a gui version of MAME then just look at
    Options
    Default game options
    Screen tab
    Make sure auto select aspect is enabled

Look for any video options and set auto up where applicable to display size and res

Again not a Mac user so not sure what options you will have available

Command line is also an option but not my thing if I can avoid it

Not sure why anyone would want an image out of the expected aspect ratio for the game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

The gui versions only exist for Windows, while he's using a Mac. So, he can either use a frontend, or the default command-line MAME.

Or do the sensible thing and get a pc, there's so much more choice in mame derivatives.