Thread: Thoughts on the original SMT series?

Thanks

Default Thoughts on the original SMT series?

I was wondering what everyone thought of the older SMT games, like SMT If... or SMT II, and the obscure titles like NINE and IMAGINE, I personally enjoy the older style, I felt it was a lot more dark and mysterious, and the art style of the older games was a lot more diverse and strange. I'd like to hear everybody's thoughts on these games, maybe even get a discussion going about modern SMT vs original, I don't know, just curious LouisCyphrePromo.jpg

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally love the series. I finished the first one a year or two ago. Nocturne is my favorite though, followed by IV and Strange Journey. I also don't consider Persona to be SMT despite them having it labeled that way. Originally Persona was part of the Revelations series. As far as SMT goes I usually end up chaos ending and siding with Louis Cypher.

Thanks

I agree, Persona has become it's own thing, and I don't really consider it SMT either, Nocturne is my favorite too, really feels like it embodies a classic SMT game but still has a modern flare if that makes sense.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah that makes sense. I liked how, aside from DDS 1 and 2, you can actually see your party fight. I also liked they kept in an option for the dungeon crawling to be first person if you wanted to keep it old school. A nice shortcut to getting any skill you want is putting it on a mitama. As long as the demon you want the skill on has an empty slot you can just fuse the two together and viola. I put pierce on one so I could fuse that skill to my party for the TDE.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPunk View Post
    I was wondering what everyone thought of the older SMT games, like SMT If... or SMT II, and the obscure titles like NINE and IMAGINE, I personally enjoy the older style, I felt it was a lot more dark and mysterious, and the art style of the older games was a lot more diverse and strange. I'd like to hear everybody's thoughts on these games, maybe even get a discussion going about modern SMT vs original, I don't know, just curious
    "JazzPunk?", "loves SMT?" What are you, my alternate account?
    In all seriousness though, yeah, the games are golden! The older "main" series of games fall under the "western-style dungeon crawl" which is not dead. Atlus still makes games in that format when it comes to Etrian Odyssey. - An unforgiving series of story driven exploration-adventure games (though the story can be turned off in options.)

The main series of SMT games has evolved and branched into several different incarnations today, which I will touch on below. I believe that the older titles are ageless. yes, yes, yes; the modern games are different from the the classics, but this evolution was required to occur, else we end up with the same games over and over. Each of them are worth playing none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPunk View Post
    I agree, Persona has become it's own thing, and I don't really consider it SMT either, Nocturne is my favorite too, really feels like it embodies a classic SMT game but still has a modern flare if that makes sense.
    Persona is it's own thing, yes. but we cannot dismiss it as an SMT game. The SMT titles has been removed from P4G-onward, but only for brevity purposes. Each persona game falls within a very important spot within the Megaten-omniverse-continuity. Every ending (by alignment) of every SMT game leads into another game, sometimes leading into a Persona game. The differences in summoning demons-or-Personas; fusing-or-communicating; is directly related to the relevant game's ending.

A lot of people dislike the Persona games "because they are not Shin Megami Tensei" and its fine that they dislike the games, but they cannot be dismissed because they are different. SMT games in the main-series will never be shelved because of the success of Persona. you're always going to get the next SMT ALSO.

I myself purchase and complete ALL of them. Its my favorite universe and I appreciate each Megami Tensei, SMT and Persona all the same. I also really like the differences from Persona 1 to 2 to 3. Personas 1 and 2 were the most similar to SMT, while P3 branched even further from the main-mechanics. P5 looks like its going to return to the SMT battle system seeing as the battles themselves are with personas and not demons! Im really fucking excited!

Aside from all of that, have any of you tried Strange Journey? Holy damn that game is great! You can see all of the references to other games, and it absolutely has to be a prequels or spiritual-prequel to SMTIV but plays in the classic dungeon crawl fashion. The alignment choices are less obvious than any other game and they have active advantages/disadvantages depending on your current alignment at any time! So you really have to consider your choices at any time.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 4th-March-2017 at 23:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone siding with Louis Cypher because I do, Strange Journey was my favourite. I also found Nocturne to be awesome, the whole series in general is pretty cool.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm a useless, hopeless SMT junkie, who got firmly converted into the fandom many years ago after gazing upon the splendor that was Nocturne. Mostly tend to uphold the tenets of Chaos.
    One of my ever-persistent dreams is to try every single game in the ever-expanding web of Megaten multiverse, and one of my harmless hobbies is trying to figure out what ties where.
    I'm aware that the classics aged quite a bit, and are hard, but they require a certain degree of respect and understanding to approach. Never rush, and use your head, and on the ruins of Tokyo you will prosper.
    I'm not terribly fond of modern Persona (P3\P4, and their offshoots), and belong to the camp of those who would happily chuck rocks its way, for introducing the accursed, vile d-dating sim elements into the spinoff, and, with P4, ultimately losing the Megaten feel, devolving into the heavily marketed, J-pop, school shenanigans, "friendship is magic" mess. My hate for P4 used to flare brighter than Kagutsuchi, but P5 gives me hope, for it seems like the wayward series has finally rediscovered sense and is returning back to what Persona once was, more or less. We'll see. I'm optimistic, for once.
    Still want a third Raidou game.
    If I would rate my favourite SMT entries, it would be SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon - Digital Devil Saga duology - Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I'm grateful to Nocturne for introducing me to the series, but its influence on me has dulled over the times, especially when King Abaddon came along.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Bump. I'm playing the first Raidou game and made a connection. Are flower petals of any significance In This game? Petals were the only unexplained detail in the new Atlus teaser for the Nintendo switch.

Raidou 3 maybe?