Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Softmod an Original Xbox nowadays?

Thanks

Default Best Way to Softmod an Original Xbox nowadays?

Hi!
    I want to Softmod an Original Xbox for my first time.

What I want to do:
    Softmod with the option to boot into XBMC/EvolutionX/UnleashX and Original Microsoft Dashboard, larger Harddrive, installing programms like Enigma Switch and DVD2Xbox. (more programms needed?)

What I have:
    Splinter Cell
    USB Adapter for Xbox (ordered)
    Screwdrivers

What I need:
    Xbox (looking for a good offer)
    Harddrive
    USB Stick that works with Xbox

My question is:
    What is the best way to Softmod the Xbox? Which Installer will cover most of my needings?
    Which USB Stick and Harddrive are still available to buy and works with the Xbox? (160GB or 320GB what is better/easier to install?)

Thank you for your answers!

greetings

Thanks
    Thanked 6,210 Times in 1,439 Posts
    EP Points

REMEMBER if you are looking for a xbox game then make sure and check the XBOX MASTERLIST.
    https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ox-Master-List

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bläh View Post
    Which Installer will cover most of my needings?
    Xbox Softmod Installer Deluxe 5.something

Which USB Stick
    Really really hard to find a USB stick nowadays. Best suggestion I've heard that supposedly works, a PSP. Memory sticks are ancient, so it makes sense.

and Harddrive are still available to buy
    You just need something lockable. You can get a current SATA drive and use a SATA/IDE adapter. I just grabbed myself some 1TB drive, if forget the size limits, but 1TB is huge for the Xbox. Lookup whatever you happen to already have or think you can buy on:
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I think 2TB is the largest sata drive I've heard of being used, but yeah probably better off trying 1TB max. Cheaper anyway.
    Also you need to do some research on what pata/sata adaptors work as some available on ebay etc don't work well in Xbox iirc.

As for usb sticks and older small memory cards (and relevant usb adaptors), this is why I don't throw these things away. They can still be useful in odd situations and honestly don't take up much physical space.

Note:
    If you have a genuine Xbox mem card (8MB iirc) you can turn a genuine controller into a usb adaptor to access the card via PC. Genuine controllers are basically usb (plus one extra wire - yellow) even the wire colours are the same...although 3rd party controllers can use random coloured wires, and some cheap usb extension cables can use non-standard wire colours too.

How to make Xbox to usb adaptor? All you need is a genuine controller and a usb extension cable.
    You don't need to buy a "special" cable, although if such a cable is dirt cheap then go for it.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 28th-February-2017 at 05:05.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Hi again,

I ordered a translucent Green Xbox (I think with v1.2 ) and I'm now waiting to receive it.
    The USB Adapter is also ordered (from China for 2€^^).
    Is it true that I should take out the clock capacitor?
    And how do you usually clean the Box inside? I think it will be dusty because the box was never opend before...
    I found an old Samsung 80GB Hard Drive, and that should be lockable.

greetings

Thanks
    EP Points

If it's pre 1.6 then yeah you should remove the capacitor, but it's possible there might be a slight mess there already even if the console is still fully working. If there is then clean that area too. If I had to do that I would use isopropyl alcohol (which I always have on hand for various things anyway) and cotton buds aka cotton swabs/q-tips.

For dust buy a can of air and blow it out. It isn't recommended to use a vacuum to clean out electronics.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

please watch this video carefully hope this one help if not please reply i will try find your answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOEen1-234

Thanks

Could I replace the capacitor with something else that would save the clock and date?
    How do I know, which capacitor is the right one? I looked some videos on youtube, but is every board the same? v1.0 - v1.5 and PAL/NTSC has no difference at all?

greetings

Thanks
    EP Points

The boards have differences, but the clock capacitor has generally been in about the same place on each board I've seen. Every Xbox I've opened has had it leaking thus far, so it's pretty easy to find...

I've heard somebody suggest that if you did replace the cap with a CR2032 or something, the Xbox would drain it in a week. I haven't seen any games that actually use the clock/date for anything useful, so it really doesn't matter. Also if you wanna keep the clock/date you can keep your Xbox plugged in, it only loses the time when you unplug it.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

From what I've read with 1.6 you can't simply remove the capacitor as the console won't boot. I haven't removed mine as there's no need it's all clean in there.
    Think it's safe to say not all leak, just most.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, 1.6's can't have the cap removed, those need to be replaced for some reason. But I've yet to see a 1.6 fail, they have a quality cap. I suppose I should've said that when I said every Xbox I've seen has failed, I meant every 1.0-1.5 Xbox I've seen has failed

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My Brick is still fine

it detects as a 1.2/1.3 (I can only guess that there is not much between 1.2 and 1.3) maybe it will eventually go but so far it's fine

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hi again!
    I softmoded my Xbox today with SID 5.10!
    My Xbox is now running with XBMC as default dash, but I want to take a look into Unleash X.
    Is it possible to use Unleash X instead of XBMC as default Dash when I already installed the softmod?

greetings

Thanks
    EP Points

Shouldn't be too hard. *IIRC* when installing XBMC you added a small config file that points to where you installed XBMC. If you revert that config file back to the original one the Xbox will hop back over to whatever SID installed, and you can try installing whatever with SID again. Or you can just try and launch other dashboards as apps to try them out, XBMC does that.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I actually use XBMC as my main xbox dash as I found it the best for my use

But I use Avalaunch as an app that is another dash just to FTP Xbox ISO's with because it has a speed boost and FTP's without issues where Filezilla sometimes fails (no errors are shown but when the xbox accesses some of the file they will not work) happens with large amounts of files that some games are made up of

I still use Filezilla with homebrew and other things though directly with XBMC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-April-2017 at 15:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR