Thread: Currently possible to play downloaded ISO games on PS2 slim SCPH 9xxxx?

Thanks

Default Currently possible to play downloaded ISO games on PS2 slim SCPH 9xxxx?

Hi All. Ive been scratching around the web since buying a 9A date stamped SCPH 9xxxx PS2 slim the other day. And it looks like no-one is sure of a way to play downloaded ISO's (such as from Emuparadise) on such a PS2, but the info was from 2009 or thereabouts.

FCMB doesn't work with date stamp after 8B/C, BIOS v230 etc.

Is there a work around by now?

Thanks

PS Why do some people in forum threads freak out if someone states their actual SCPH number?

I'm a noob to this subject. While I'm very good technically, I'm not familiar with the PS2 abbreviations used for software names, or where to find someone to fit a 'modchip' etc so where possible can you please keep the explanation in relatively plain english. Thanks
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-February-2017 at 04:39. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Modchip.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoo View Post
    I'm a noob to this subject. While I'm very good technically, I'm not familiar with the PS2 abbreviations used for software names, or where to find someone to fit a 'modchip' etc so where possible can you please keep the explanation in relatively plain english. Thanks
    If you get something like Modbo 4.0 then get the install instructions for it and pay somebody at an electronics repair shop to install it for you. Anyone with fine point soldering skills and detailed instructions on what wires go where will be able to do it properly.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-February-2017 at 04:38.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Ok. When you say "get something like modbo 4.0" do you know for sure that that particular chip will suit my SCPH 9xxxxx slim PS2? or do you mean "something on the market like modbo 4.0 would work - do your own research to find out which one"?

Also with such a chip, are "other actions" required before ISO's from emuparadise burnt on a DVD would work? like installing a bootloader from USB, swapping out discs after startup, stuff like that? I appreciate your guidance

Thanks
    EP Points

I haven't tested the Modbo 4.0 on the last slims myself but I have seen it listed as working for them along with some other chips.
    If you get a modchip you don't need to esr patch games like you would for fmcb.

I don't know about using bootloaders for that slim, but the chip itself has elf boot support iirc.

Yes, you will need to do some reading about what chips you could use (there should be several even for that model, availability might be your biggest problem) but I just mentioned Modbo as it's the only chip I have installed myself (on a different model PS2 though).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thanks. So "as far as you know" if I get a modchip installed, a downloaded ISO (from say emuparadise) burnt to DVD should boot up when put in the PS2, just like it was a licenced sony product? nothing else to do....

I gather that those EMUPARADISE ISO's are not ESR patched unless it tells you.

By the way , what does iirc mean in " elf boot support iirc."?

Sorry the questions must seem very basic to you.

I see your in VIC. I'm in QLD

Those modbo4.0 chips are cheap as chips on ebay.com.au. $4 delivered from China, plenty of vendors to choose, but no instructions included.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-February-2017 at 05:57. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah all the downloads won't be patched but it shouldn't matter if they are anyway.

If I Recall Correctly
    Modbo 4.0 capabilities are the same as genuine Matrix Infinity, the only real difference is that you can't update the firmware on the clones.

OzModChips have Modbo 4.0 in stock for $20.
    They did have modchip installers all around the country years ago but pretty sure they only have a service in Melbourne now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoo View Post
    Those modbo4.0 chips are cheap as chips on ebay.com.au. $4 delivered from China, plenty of vendors to choose, but no instructions included.
    Be careful of what you're buying as some of those are clones of clones, and not guaranteed to work. I would only buy one from a reputable source.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-February-2017 at 05:56.

Spoiler warning:

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

There is a guy at another forum that takes on all sorts of console mods and supplying chips. His work is excellent and he is very trustworthy, but he is UK based. I think he ships internationally, I'll PM you the details.

Thanks
    EP Points

OzModChips do installs in Melbourne. Think I already mentioned that

Spoiler warning:

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    OzModChips do installs in Melbourne. Think I already mentioned that

Yeah, I noticed. Just giving him another option.

The guy who does the mod work, also has good in-depth knowledge and is happy to answer questions. After looking at his feedback thread, it seems he is happy to post internationally as well.

Thanks

That's great guys. I rang OzModChips and while they still sell the modbo 4.0, they don't install in PS2 anymore (maybe for 3 years in fact). As I didn't intend to do the soldering myself their advice was to try to find someone who does installs as they'd have the chips anyway and could answer questions. So I'll explore what that english guy Jackhammer mentioned can do. Cheers

Thanks
    EP Points

Pity OzModChips stopped installing PS2 mods, I just assumed they were still doing them because they were selling the chips.

There's a Gold Coast Modchips shop that does mods for old consoles, although I can't comment on the shop or the service as I've never used them and I don't know anyone that has.
    Also, they want $120 for a PS2 mod.

Modchips supplied and fitted into all versions of ps2 consoles

Main chip used is modbo 4

Spoiler warning: