Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most unique or crazy game you've ever played.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The most unique or crazy game you've ever played.

So what's the most unique or crazy game you've ever played. Don't say Mr Mosquito either because everyone knows that one lol. Mine would have to be Blood Will Tell on PS2. You spend the game collecting your lost body parts from demons. The game starts off in black and white with no sound because the character doesn't have eyes or ears. Wait it gets better, you can two hand a katana or sheathe it and use two swords that are imbedded in your arms. You've also got a machine gun arm, and a rocket launcher in your leg. Very fun game though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Mercenary Force Gameboy. You pick 4 units and go on a sidescrolling shooting spree. The catch? Its very Japanese and very bizarre. This is easily one of strangest games I've played next to Ninja Boy also on Gameboy.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

While i haven't actually finished it yet, i'd have to say Esper Dream on the famicon disk system is probably the most bizarre game i have played.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

The most unique or weirdest game I've ever played is, by far, Seaman on Dreamcast. Having to use a mic to talk to your human faced fish to make it evolve was absolutely surreal

Thanks
    EP Points

Thunder Force 5. Loved it from start to finish, great fast paced action annnnnnd
    Spoiler warning:
    the weirdness? Watching a giant battle ship, piloted by a crazy A.I. give birth to the "ultimate being"...and I mean that, it gives birth as you fight it.
    Spoiler warning:

Check out my own music at:
    https://crash-headroom.bandcamp.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

This is is a unique game. Its an action-RPG, where you shoot bubbles at enemies. It seems to be somewhat inpsired by the Zelda series, but since I only know a tiny bit of Japanese, I can't really make out what the game is saying. Though some parts of the game HUD are in English, the rest is not. It does have a unique charm to it though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Not sure it's the out and out weirdest, but Moon: Remix RPG Adventure comes to mind. You play as a little boy who pulls what appears to be an epic all nighter playing a Dragon Quest clone called Moon, and suddenly finds himself sucked into the world of the game, where he's tasked with cleaning up messes caused by the "hero" character he was playing as in the game, who turns out to be... er... not very heroic at all (looting houses, destroying local wildlife in the name of gaining levels, etc... ). By doing so, you earn love points with the residents of the game world that allow you to explore further, and you eventually wind up with the aim of building a rocket to reach the moon. It's a funny, unashamedly quirky, surprisingly moving, and totally memorable deconstruction of the JRPG subgenre that, though not perfect, remains one of my absolute favourites. It was also dealing with many of the same themes and messages that are now being praised as revolutionary in indie games like Undertale waaaaay back in 1997, less than a year after Final Fantasy VII was first released in Japan, and I'd personally argue for it as one of the best if not the best early example of games as art.

It also has a totally cool and unique ending where (big spoilers)

Spoiler warning:
    you eventually reach the moon, where the Dragon King (the final boss of the Moon game) is said to be waiting and holding the game world's goddess prisoner, which will bring about the end of the world of Moon. However, when you get there, you find that the goddess and the dragon are in fact two sides of the same being, neither of which are hostile in any way. The dragon / goddess says that you were brought to Moon to open a "door" and thereby save the world, but that your love is not sufficient to do so, and that the world is thus doomed to slip towards a dark future.

Then suddenly the hero appears, having hitched a ride on your rocket. He begins slaughtering everything in sight, gaining huge amounts of experience and quickly reaching max level. And you're powerless to stop him as he deals a mortal blow to the goddess. With its parting words, though, it tells you that there is still hope. That if you have a love that cannot be represented in terms of levels, you'll be able to change the prophecy and open the door when it next appears before you. As its voice fades away, it begs you again and again to open the door. The hero raises his sword and strikes you down, before collapsing into an empty pile of armour on the floor.

The screen shatters as the voice of the young boy's mother calls out to him, telling him he needs to stop playing games and go outside. Suddenly you're back in the real world, in front of the screen. As the boy once more moves closer to the screen, you're offered the choice of whether or not to continue. Highlighting yes places the boy in front of the television, the sounds of the game blaring loud in the background, while highlighting no causes his silhouette to move towards a door that has appeared at the side of the screen, to the sounds of birds chirping. And in order to get the good ending, you don't have to select continue, but instead have to opt out and instruct the boy to put the game off and go outside. It turns out the "door" the boy has to open in order to save the world of Moon from the hero is the one to the outside world. That if he truly loves the people of Moon with a love that cannot be defined in terms of levels, he has to realise that the way to help them is not by marauding through their world as some self-styled JRPG hero, but by turning off the console, going back to his own life, and leaving them to theirs.

The game essentially argues that if playing one of these games means being the kind of character who runs around murdering things and stealing people's stuff, then the only way to really be a real hero to the people of the game's world is by... er... turning it off and not playing at all. :'D It's a really interesting and sweet idea that is superbly presented in the game's ending, and it stuck with me waaaaay after the game had finished. It's also especially poignant when you consider that the game was created by former Squaresoft staff who worked on games like Chrono Trigger and the Super Mario RPG - basically it's their own response to and musings on the games they themselves had made to that point.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Not sure it's the out and out weirdest, but Moon: Remix RPG Adventure comes to mind. You play as a little boy who pulls what appears to be an epic all nighter playing a Dragon Quest clone called Moon, and suddenly finds himself sucked into the world of the game, where he's tasked with cleaning up messes caused by the "hero" character he was playing as in the game, who turns out to be... er... not very heroic at all (looting houses, destroying local wildlife in the name of gaining levels, etc... ). By doing so, you earn love points with the residents of the game world that allow you to explore further, and you eventually wind up with the aim of building a rocket to reach the moon. It's a funny, unashamedly quirky, surprisingly moving, and totally memorable deconstruction of the JRPG subgenre that, though not perfect, remains one of my absolute favourites. It was also dealing with many of the same themes and messages that are now being praised as revolutionary in indie games like Undertale waaaaay back in 1997, less than a year after Final Fantasy VII was first released in Japan, and I'd personally argue for it as one of the best if not the best early example of games as art.

It also has a totally cool and unique ending where (big spoilers)

Spoiler warning:
    you eventually reach the moon, where the Dragon King (the final boss of the Moon game) is said to be waiting and holding the game world's goddess prisoner, which will bring about the end of the world of Moon. However, when you get there, you find that the goddess and the dragon are in fact two sides of the same being, neither of which are hostile in any way. The dragon / goddess says that you were brought to Moon to open a "door" and thereby save the world, but that your love is not sufficient to do so, and that the world is thus doomed to slip towards a dark future.

Then suddenly the hero appears, having hitched a ride on your rocket. He begins slaughtering everything in sight, gaining huge amounts of experience and quickly reaching max level. And you're powerless to stop him as he deals a mortal blow to the goddess. With its parting words, though, it tells you that there is still hope. That if you have a love that cannot be represented in terms of levels, you'll be able to change the prophecy and open the door when it next appears before you. As its voice fades away, it begs you again and again to open the door. The hero raises his sword and strikes you down, before collapsing into an empty pile of armour on the floor.

The screen shatters as the voice of the young boy's mother calls out to him, telling him he needs to stop playing games and go outside. Suddenly you're back in the real world, in front of the screen. As the boy once more moves closer to the screen, you're offered the choice of whether or not to continue. Highlighting yes places the boy in front of the television, the sounds of the game blaring loud in the background, while highlighting no causes his silhouette to move towards a door that has appeared at the side of the screen, to the sounds of birds chirping. And in order to get the good ending, you don't have to select continue, but instead have to opt out and instruct the boy to put the game off and go outside. It turns out the "door" the boy has to open in order to save the world of Moon from the hero is the one to the outside world. That if he truly loves the people of Moon with a love that cannot be defined in terms of levels, he has to realise that the way to help them is not by marauding through their world as some self-styled JRPG hero, but by turning off the console, going back to his own life, and leaving them to theirs.

The game essentially argues that if playing one of these games means being the kind of character who runs around murdering things and stealing people's stuff, then the only way to really be a real hero to the people of the game's world is by... er... turning it off and not playing at all. :'D It's a really interesting and sweet idea that is superbly presented in the game's ending, and it stuck with me waaaaay after the game had finished. It's also especially poignant when you consider that the game was created by former Squaresoft staff who worked on games like Chrono Trigger and the Super Mario RPG - basically it's their own response to and musings on the games they themselves had made to that point.
    That...actually sounds quite good, I've added it to my list (always wanted to see what the fallout was of taking everything not nailed down XD lol).
    Spoiler warning:

Check out my own music at:
    https://crash-headroom.bandcamp.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-Headroom View Post
    That...actually sounds quite good, I've added it to my list (always wanted to see what the fallout was of taking everything not nailed down XD lol).
    I have to agree, it does sound pretty interesting. But upon doing some searching it seems like it was only released in japan, and i can't find a translation patch for the game. I did find a topic on romhacking.net that talked of a patch for the game but it seems like it was never finished.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone ever play a PC game where it uses your picture folder as the walls of the game. It was around Windows 95 time and I think it was named Virus. Can't remember much about it other than it was a FPS.

Thanks

I think that was Postal, for PC, and Portal series
    And for ps1 Kurushi, graphics a bit simple, but the game is really mindblowing

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes I love the Postal series. My exwife bought me Postal 2 and the Apocalypse Weekend add on. Love that game

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzcln View Post
    Yes I love the Postal series. My exwife bought me Postal 2 and the Apocalypse Weekend add on. Love that game
    There was also a trashy movie, based on the game, called Postal)
    In general, I don't like to play on PC, consoles are much better for that. I like fifa street 2 on ps2 and sometimes, when I'm in mood I play some indie stuff, like Kula World

Thanks
    EP Points

I've never seen the movie but I did hear that it was crazy. I prefer gaming on console as well, but I really only play FPSs on the PC. Controlling with the keyboard and mouse is so much better than a controller.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzcln View Post
    I've never seen the movie but I did hear that it was crazy. I prefer gaming on console as well, but I really only play FPSs on the PC. Controlling with the keyboard and mouse is so much better than a controller.
    I'll leave the trailer here, just if anybody is interested.)