Thread: Trouble with vbagx on wii, rom not loading among other things

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Trouble with vbagx on wii, rom not loading among other things

I have the homebrew channel, version 1.2.2, and ios58. When I first installed vbagx I had to rip the usb stick out and put it back in again for it to display the rom so I could play. Now it won't load the rom, it just freezes up. I have everything in the right place:

USB root/vbagx/apps/boot.dol, settings.xml, meta.xml, icon.png

vbagx/roms, saves

And of course the rom and the save are where they go. So, anyone have any idea on how to fix these problems? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    EP Points

This is my first post too, BTW. Just a guess but maybe you need to unzip the roms. I have not tried myself, but this is an easy check.

Thanks
    EP Points

The rom is unzipped, so that's not the problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoncat For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can try a Forwarder for VBAGX instead of using the homebrew channel

The issue may been ios58, the forwarder should use the correct ios automatically P.S. the Wii already has the ios files to start with those are just part of it's OS

I had to rip the usb stick out and put it back in again for it to display the rom
    that was not the greatest idea and may of caused errors on the USB stick

P.S. USB flash memory can have issues of it's own, best to use a USB HDD when you can get one for both stability and compatibility

FAT32 with 32 cluster size is still the best format for any USB storage (3rd poarty formatting software needed to do that Windows does not format Fat32 correctly for use with the Wii)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well even with the forwarder channel it doesn't work. I didn't know about that thing with Windows and the fat32 formatting, I'll try that before I go looking for another usb drive.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?83529 has info on formatting as well as other info that would not interest you using a USB flash drive

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Omg. I am so glad I backed up everything on the flash drive before I tried formatting...lost everything on it and now it's unusable.

I get that sd cards are better, right? Should have a free one of those soon. Don't want to use the one for my 3ds.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the SD slot on the Wii is slow so no they are not better in the slightest

USB HDD is the way to go, USB Flash memory (Any USB device that uses a chip to save to is flash memory) is less reliable than USB HDD drives

SD cards are still just flash memory anyway but the SD slot is actually slower than the USB port

The 3DS using the SD card for almost everything just keep that for the 3DS, the Wii does not even need an SD card if you set it up correctly to run everything from a USB HDD

Yeah thought it was obvious but formatting anything will wipe all data from the device you format
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-February-2017 at 17:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]