Thread: Trying to run Eternal Champions via MAME Command Line - Weird one, I know...

Thanks

Default Trying to run Eternal Champions via MAME Command Line - Weird one, I know...

Warning: I'm still pretty new to MAME, so bear with me.

In an effort to further a personal project I'm working on, I'm trying to use MAME 0.182 to run console games. In order to prove said project out further, I'm trying to get (for starters) Eternal Champions (usa) to run via command line, without having to use the File Manager to load the game data and reset to start the game; Just run the command, skip the copyright screen, and jump right into the game.

To put it shortly, I'm trying to:
    -Play Eternal Champions (USA)
    -For the Genesis
    -Through MAME 0.182
    -Bypassing the copyright screen
    -via Command Line
    -In Windows 10

Right now, I'm encountering a lot of "File not found" errors when I try to start this the traditional CMD way:

>mame64 genesis eternalcu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternalcu_filesnotfound.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	51236

or

>mame64 genesis eternalc

Name:	eternalc_filesnotfound.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	51237

I've got the roms (which I snagged from EP) in the MAME dir "roms" folder, and I've tried renaming and rezipping them, to no avail. However, when I simply try to run "mame64 genesis", and then selecting the roms through the file manager and resetting, the game runs fine. Where am I going wrong?

And please don't tell me to just run in in Kega Fusion; I need to specifically to run it through MAME.

Thanks for reading!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

try putting the actual file name in there, including extension

try both the zip name and the name of the file inside the zip

e.g. eternalcu.zip instead of eternalcu

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

No dice. It seems to be looking for an exact match for a rom/set.

Name:	eternalcu_zip_fuzzysearch.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	51238

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If it's the same file I downloaded from emuparadise then the file name is Eternal Champions (USA).zip rather than eternalcu.zip

Would it work if you unzip the file and run as eternalcu, or unzip and rename the .md file to eternalcu.md?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Figured it

The game actually had 2 rom chips so the dump is two roms joined directly together

You need to open the unzipped rom in a hex editor copy 0x00000000 to 0x001FFFFF to a new file and the same for 0x00200000 to 0x002FFFFF, you name those to the roms listed in the error with .bin at the end, zip them together and name it eternalcu or eternalc (go for the u version as the other will report that it is PAL system rom, unless you use the PAL command line flag whatever that may be)

Edit for the PAL version just use megadriv instead of genesis in the cmd line

P.S. sorry that took a bit of figuring out, googling for those roms was not really all that helpful

I forgot how bad that game is, anyway the above will get it running easy enough
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-February-2017 at 16:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Oh, awesome! That totally worked, thanks! Google hadn't been of much help to me, either, hence the thread...

I'm guessing each chip could hold at max 2048 KB, and that's how the split could be found in the future? If it's a more complicated matter than that, we can drop it; I feel like you've put enough time into this matter as is.

p.s. I'm fully aware of how bad EC is. I'm using it as part of a torture device I'm making for some friends.