Thread: Looking to build a new PC.. could use a hand

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Looking to build a new PC.. could use a hand

Or at least upgrade this one.

I can hardly run Gamecube & Wii, and PS2 games as is. So.. I've been poking around, trying to figure out what I need to buy to get caught up on PC gaming/emulation.

I'm pretty familiar with all of this, but this is why I switched to consoles a long time ago. Got tired of buying new video cards, etc every couple years. Point is, I kinda know what I'm doing but it's 2017 now and I'm a bit out of the loop.

The goal here is to be able to run basically anything flawlessly. Things that come to mind are the WiiU/3DS emulators (once they're ironed out), and let's say GTA 5 on PC. A perfectly smooth Dolphin emulator, PS2, etc. My thinking here is if it can handle a WiiU emulator it could handle anything older (and daily tinkering with files, PC usage/random software would be surprisingly smooth I'd imagine)

Anyway, so................ where do I begin.

A new processor, a new video card.. which would mean a new motherboard, which leads to a new power supply, new RAM, new hard drive? (is SATA still standard?)

With some basic research I've come up with this:

Intel Core i7-6800K processor
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 video card
    ASUS MAX. VIII HERO motherboard
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 power supply

That's about $750 right there, and I don't even know if it's enough, or if it'd all work together. This is where I need a little advice I suppose.. it's been at least 10 years since I've done this stuff. Can I bother someone for a little of their time, knowledge, & advice please thanks a million

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Analfist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thumbs up

With that new, setup you can run pretty much every single emulator at (4k-8k) with (100%) speed.

But you didn't list any DDR4 RAM , and that Motherboard will only accept DDR4 Memory Sticks

Also the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 power supply is pretty much an overkill for this setup, I highly recommend getting the 650 watt instead of the 750 watt Unless you want to add another video card.

If you are going to us your PC for gaming i highly recommend getting the i5 6600k instead. Because most games won't utilize more than 4 cores effectively.

And i also recommend getting the GTX 1070 instead you will be getting roughly ( 45-50% ) more performance . check this YouTube video to see the benchmarks ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Fw_bOLyqI )

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wait a few weeks (set more money aside too) and see how Ryzen pans out. The bigger modern engines all support more than 4 cores at this point. Buying a 4C/4T (cores/threads) or even 4C/8T is foolhardy when AMD is launching 8C/16T CPUs (and 6C/12T later) at the end of the month and everything is pointing to the performance actually being there.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

thanks so much for the tips

questions though... the GTX 1070: i see all kinds of different brands for it, does it matter which one i get or is "GTX 1070" all that matters?

how much RAM would be adequate? i'm using windows 7 now, but if 10 would make a world of difference i'll finally update that too

EVGA SuperNOVA 650... i see G1, G2, GS, P2...... i don't know the difference

Ryzen looks like it's going to cost a fortune

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Analfist View Post
    thanks so much for the tips

questions though... the GTX 1070: i see all kinds of different brands for it, does it matter which one i get or is "GTX 1070" all that matters?

how much RAM would be adequate? i'm using windows 7 now, but if 10 would make a world of difference i'll finally update that too

EVGA SuperNOVA 650... i see G1, G2, GS, P2...... i don't know the difference

Ryzen looks like it's going to cost a fortune
    You want to look at reviews for any card before buying. Review samples are very likely cherry picked but you can expect cooling and general performance to be as presented. There are lots of sites that handle GPU reviews, Guru3D, TechPowerUp, Toms Hardware, or HardOCP, to name a few.

I think 16GB should be sufficient.

Brands are very rarely great across the board. Sometimes there are a lot of good PSUs in a lineup and sometimes there are only a handful. As far as PSUs go, you really have to check out reviews from sites like JohnnyGuru or inquire about the OEM somewhere like OCN's recommended PSU thread.

If rumors are correct it's topping out at $500 for the top end. The next step down would be a small bit more than the 7700K and less than the 6800K. Here's a lineup, all the rumors have been leaning to similar so it's likely close. It's only a couple weeks away from reviews coming out (and launch) so you may as well wait .
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 16th-February-2017 at 23:13.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.