Thread: Will Reicast Run Well On This Device?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Will Reicast Run Well On This Device?

I'm thinking about buying this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/iView-Sup...ype=10&veh=aff

It's a budget priced tablet that I've seen run several games pretty well for the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-IFTs25Jw&t=41s

Reicast's recommended specs, copy/pasted from the Google Play Store:

**Recommended specs**
    - Cpu: Cortex-A9, Dualcore, 1.2ghz
    - Gpu: Adreno, Tegra K1 or Mali400 gpus
    - At least 512mb ram

The device in question has:

CPU: ARM Cortex A53 Quad Core 1.2 Ghz Processor
    GPU: Mali400 MP
    RAM: 1GB

The device runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

I'm pretty sure this tablet is more than capable of emulating the Dreamcast.

But I'm posting this question here so I can know for sure before making a rash purchase.

NOTE: My previous tablet (Rest in Peace) was a Matsunichi M97 with Android 4.1, I believe. It was Dual Core, and I don't remember the name of the CPU or GPU. That device ran Dreamcast Games alright. The graphics were a bit buggy and FMV was UNBEARABLY slow, but games ran at a playable and acceptable speed.

Thank you so much for any and all input.

Also, I do not intend to run these games in HD. I much rather prefer running them in the Dreamcast's native resolution, which uses less power and simply runs better.
    Last edited by VirtuaroidPilot; 12th-February-2017 at 05:46.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep.

No matter your gonna come across problem games. Some which are just hard to emulate others that will run too slow because of the hardware. Sonic Adventure 2 for example would most likely chug. I would try going for a comparable 2 gig model if possible. There are builds of Reicast that do run on Intel even though I don't think it's officially supported yet so keep that in mind.

I tested a few games out once with an Acer, Intel dual core 1.6, powervr gpu and 1gb ram also and could run Code Veronica without any problems except one and that was the sky in certain areas were...well really weird. Gameplay speed was fine though.

Grandia 2 seemed to run fine as well.
    MvsC 2 ran fine with the odd little pause. Think there may be a setting now that helps with that.
    Sonic Adventure 2 would randomly and often slow down horribly.

Not much but may give you a better idea what you can play.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

What about an Amazon Fire 7? That device is a bit more powerful with a 1.3 ghz processor. I've seen Sonic Adventure 2 running on it, and it runs pretty nice. One question about Amazon Fire, though... Can I just install the APK for Reicast to the Amazon Fire 7 and have it still work? Or will I have to softmod the tablet? Or, could I install the APK files for Google Play and install Reicast through that?

*EDIT*

http://www.alphachooser.com/tablet_c...cs-and-profile

What about the RCA Voyager Pro? It's not running a cortex processor, but it is running on a 1.30ghz quad core processor... I have decided against the Amazon Fire. It seems a bit too iffy after a bit of research.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tab...-Case/45804389 <-- This is the device I settled on. I mainly want to use Reicast to play Phantasy Star Online. Do you think it will at least be able to handle that?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-February-2017 at 23:02. Reason: merged posts

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You could just buy a Dreamcast or even a GameCube/Wii if it's PSO you want to play (GC version has everything the DC version has plus it's still playable online via custom servers and has extra content)

PSO is also a PC game, PSO BlueBurst has both Episode 1 and 2 and Episode 4 included (Episode 3 was a separate game for the GameCube)

Emulation is great and all but is not a 100% way to play Dreamcast games, Dreamcast emulation is still in dev stages and not everything is playing at 100% yet

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm sorry, but that does not help me. I want to take PSO on the go, which is the reason why I bought the tablet in the first place. I already have my own legally bought copy of the game, and I bought the tablet so I could hopefully play PSO on the go wherever I go. I'm one of those hipsters who doesn't like being chained down by a home console to play console quality games. I like to be able to go on walks and take my dinky $60 7 inch tablet with me to play a bit of PSO, maybe by bus or by train. (BUT NEVER ON A PLANE!) I've seen the game emulated on Reicast and the emulation is almost perfect, I can take that minor bit of texture flickering on the ground in the Pioneer II any day of the week as long as the game is playable and doesn't have too many bugs otherwise. I at least want the game to look nice-ish and run at a playable framerate. Other areas of the game seem to emulate okay in Reicast according to videos I've seen, and the grass area looks absolutely gorgeous on android.

All I'm asking is if the tablet I bought can handle Reicast well enough to play the game well. That's all!

Here's the tablet I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tab...-Case/45804389

I am well aware of the state of DC emulation on Android. It's obviously not going to be perfect, but according to reports, PSO runs just fine on android devices. All I want to know is if you think it will run well on mine.

I'm sorry if I'm acting like a jerk by completely rejecting your response, but I'm not going to shill out that kind of cash on the obnoxiously priced Gamecube version when I can spend that money on an emulation capable machine that can *hopefully* run the game just fine, and even do more things than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8O5sHGkahk <-- Here's what the game looks like on Nvidia Shield. The shield is on a completely different level than the RCA Voyager II Pro, but that doesn't change the fact that Reicast works decent on most low-end hardware, or so I've heard...
    Last edited by VirtuaroidPilot; 17th-February-2017 at 04:57.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Laptop or other windows based machine and Phantasy Star Online 1 for PC

Not sure if Blue Burst is playable offline at all but might be thinking of Phantasy Star Online 2 (A game I would love to see translated on Vita)

Not sure if the android ports of Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii) are any good to be honest but those are worth looking at with Phantasy Star online instead of the Dreamcast version for the extra game content
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-February-2017 at 09:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR