Thread: Panzer Dragoon Orta - WEIRD save glitch when installing disc to HDD

Thanks

Default Panzer Dragoon Orta - WEIRD save glitch when installing disc to HDD

I have the strangest problem here. Can anyone help solve this mystery?

I have the Japanese version of PDO, which I played via disc on a modded PAL Xbox. It's an original boxed copy of PDO, not a bootleg. I put 15 hours into the save. I then decide to install the Japanese disc to my HDD since the DVD laser is dying. I install, it boots fine, but doesn't load the save file. So I search the UDATA directory, and I now have TWO folders with save data!! It created a fresh save folder with a different name.

Two folders in UDATA:

53450007 - old PDO save data, from disc version of PDO Japanese ver
    4947002b - new PDO save data, from HDD install of Japanese disc

I try to move all the data from 53450007 into the 4947002b folder. I load the game and it says the save data is corrupt. Press A to delete and create a fresh save folder.

So I used Notepad++ to compare every file in each folder:

100% MATCHES
    TitleMeta.xbx
    TitleImage.xbx
    SUB FOLDER: 80482ED3557F
    SaveMeta.xbx
    SaveImage.xbx

FILES DO NOT MATCH
    PDOSYSTEM.DAT

OK, so basically I'm a bit closer to solving this. Something is wrong with the DAT file, and the disc and HDD versions of the game, THE SAME GAME, generate incompatible save files (WTF?!). For some reason, when I boot the game from the original disc, it loads from the 53450007 folder. And when I boot that same game from the HDD, it loads the 4947002b save data. The only file which is different is the PDOSYSTEM.DAT file. It is not possible to simply swap these around, the HDD installed version will recognise I am trying to load save data from the disc version and refuse to do so.

I installed about 20 games on my Xbox HDD, and this is the ONLY ONE that does this!

I just want all my unlocked scenario data. So I tried downloading saves from GameFAQs, and those are 53450007! Then I try from other sites, and again, all 53450007!

Can I have my 53450007 save, or does anyone have a fully unlocked 4947002b save?

I searched online, and the only references I can find are some cover upload websites, which have different covers for the different serial numbers, 53450007 and 4947002b.

How do I fix this?

More importantly, how the FUCK is this even possible? I installed the game from the same disc I was playing with. How is it possible for the game data to even know whether it's been booted from disc or HDD?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You could just make a backup copy of your retail disc and use a PC IDE DVD drive to read it instead of using your Xbox DVD drive. There are some PC drives that can be flashed to run retail Xbox discs too, but I'm guessing these would be difficult to find now.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

My previous backup was of my retail disc, using DVD2HDD or some such app on the Xbox.

I went and re-ripped it using ComplexTools, and now it functions precisely as the retail disc functions!

I do not know how, but the previous ripping programme must have patched the XBE in some way, changing the serial number or something. Lesson learned: only use ComplexTools to rip.

PROBLEM SOLVED! (Though the mystery remains!)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD2Xbox was the program I'm guessing and possibly used some hacks on the way

It had its uses over the years, kind of redundant now though

Some games do have problems from HDD but most are fixable, I done fixes myself for most games with only a couple left to do

Alt method is to use a virtual DVD drive on the xbox itself and run an ISO directly from the HDD instead

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Alt method is to use a virtual DVD drive on the xbox itself and run an ISO directly from the HDD instead
    How does one do this? I searched on Google, and found one internet topic from 2005, where the answers was to rip the ISO on a PC. No one actually mentioned creating a virtual DVD drive.

I've got a ton of ISOs, so would love to know how to do this!

Feel free to link to relevant pages and I will read up on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RetroProf View Post
    How does one do this? I searched on Google, and found one internet topic from 2005, where the answers was to rip the ISO on a PC. No one actually mentioned creating a virtual DVD drive.

I've got a ton of ISOs, so would love to know how to do this!

Feel free to link to relevant pages and I will read up on it.
    This might be what Zorlon was talking about...

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. He will probably pop in again to verify that though, and possibly point towards other info.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

www.epforums.org/showthread.php?90101

I uploaded the package as an attachment back in 2014

Full info is in the Spoiler of the linked thread on how to use and install it (should work with any Dashboard by the way, I just used it with XBMC at the time)Or use the one further down the same page with the info in a quote box

Go for the second one first, that I am sure is what I was actually using when I was doing my testing back in the day

I'm sure I only uploaded it because it was asked about or I mentioned it like I did in this thread
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2017 at 18:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR