Thread: .7z files not extracting, some data after the end of payload data error?

Thanks

Default .7z files not extracting, some data after the end of payload data error?

So I've been trying to get a few Gamecube ROMs to fire up on Dolphin.

Every game I download from the main site (emuparadise) completes and takes appropriate amount of time to download a full file, so I'm not assuming the download itself has corrupted, plus I've redownloaded multiple files at least 5 or 6 times, with the same result each time: Once I attempt to extract the ISO from the 7z file, it processes (normally I think) but once the unzipping SHOULD be complete, 7z gives me an error of "There is some data after the end of payload data." At this point another zipped 7z file as appeared, I think which was extracted from the initial file. Then, I try to unzip that file, and error message then reads that there is no archive to access, leaving me with 2, maybe identical, zipped files unable to do anything with them.

I'm not sure if this is a common issue with Gamecube ROMs or what, but I've had no problem running GBA, SNES, and N64 ROMs and emulators on my machine.

Also, I found a Mario Kart Double Dash download (NOT on emuparadise). File format was a .rar and downloaded successfully, unzipped with winRAR this time instead, and Dolphin runs it flawlessly.

Kinda a noob in emulating, so forgive me for anything obvious.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Make sure you use the latest version of 7zip from the official site. I've seen that error using older versions of 7zip when trying to extract archives compressed with newer versions.

Would probably help if you posted a pic of those zipped files that appear after you try to extract (the ones that you say you can't do anything with and look the same).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzz.PNG 
Views:	267 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	51119
    First pic, what 7z shows after attempting unzip.

Name:	zzzzz.PNG 
Views:	248 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	51120
    Second pic, file properties of downloaded file.

Name:	dfffff.PNG 
Views:	245 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	51118
    Third pic, file properties of unzipped file. Only difference I see is the file size is a bit smaller.

Pretty sure my 7z is up to date, just downloaded it a few days ago from the site but will check to make sure.
    Thanks for the quick response!

EDIT: I think I may have mixed up the 2nd and 3rd picture. I would think the initial file would be smaller and a 7z format archive, where the other would be larger and the iso format.
    Last edited by stet8310; 3rd-February-2017 at 05:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

Pic 2 isn't an archive it's an iso image. You have winrar installed with default file associations, so you're seeing winrar icons for iso images (look at the file extensions).

If you seem confused just uninstall winrar, 7zip can handle everything just make sure you check the official site frequently for updated versions.

Spoiler warning:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, just wow at my stupidity. Embarrassing .. Had a feeling I was close though. Running fine now, thank you so much!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Lots of people have that problem with winrar don't worry about it. It's dumb how the default settings do that, it just confuses people.

Spoiler warning: