Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTA: San Andreas in 480p - How?

Thanks

Default GTA: San Andreas in 480p - How?

San Andreas should be capable of 480p according to this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._display_modes

I'm trying the modded version uploaded by Zorlon now (and I've also tried a disc PAL version) and it doesn't seem to allow 480p, only 480i/576i. I can play the other games that support 480p and above fine (modded console with component cables, region set to NTSC).

Why doesn't San Andreas seem to work for me? Can anyone perhaps link me to a 480p fix xbe?

Thanks!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The game has 480p in it but the 1.6 Xbox version had major issues for 480p display with a few games

Look at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?86365 for possible fixes

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

The PAL version of the game doesn't support 480p. You need a NTSC rip or retail copy.

Thanks

Thanks for your answers.

What happens is that I have 480p and 720p enabled but the game loads in 480i, is this what scrambled display means? I have tried A LOT of other games that support 480p (according to the Wiki list) or have fixes for it and they have worked fine.

For example, in the thread you posted Zorlon the user neo- mention Jet Set Radio Future, and that game work fine for me.

I just realized that I changed the default.xbe with a different NTSC one a few days ago because with the original (in Zorlon's download, which I just tried again) the game doesn't start, it just goes back to the launcher (doesn't matter which launcher).

I saw a post in the San Andreas Mod thread that someone had the same problem and fixed it by using a patched PAL .xbe, maybe that would work for me too. Does someone have that file still since the download doesn't work now?

Thanks.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope when it is scrambled the image distorts but it is still in 480p mode and my copy uploaded is NTSC and supports 480p

How are you uploading to your Xbox? I strongly recommend you FTP directly from the ISO image using Qwix and avalaunch (avalaunch installed as an app, that will give fast FTP access) this ensures that FTP is done without error (I'm talking about file corruption caused by Filezilla something that an error report is not shown for you can only tell if the game does not work in some way, when it should) that often happens with Filezilla ect when you FTP large amounts of files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-February-2017 at 14:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I use FlashFXP and transfer the files to F/Games.

I used C-Box Tool to convert the iso into a folder with files before I transfered them (this is what I've done to all games I've tried thus far).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeb View Post
    I use FlashFXP and transfer the files to F/Games.

I used C-Box Tool to convert the iso into a folder with files before I transferred them (this is what I've done to all games I've tried thus far).
    Don't, FTP directly from the ISO

Qwix is the best one to do that with, with avalaunch installed as an App (Not only will you get better FTP results but it also sends data to the Xbox quicker if you use avalaunch on your Xbox just for FTP of Games from ISO)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Alright I just tried it by first deleting San Andreas and then using Qwix choosing "Load ISO" (original download file) and then "FTP Upload" and restarted the Xbox. I still get the black screen and it goes back to the dashboard (my default is EvolutionX) regardless if I start the game with Avalaunch. I also tried starting the game with file manager on Junk Mod.

Does anyone have the PAL XBE patched for 480p?
    Last edited by Aeb; 2nd-February-2017 at 23:07.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't know if it will help depends on why it is black screening but I use XBMC that does have extra fixes to most Dashboards I am also a PAL xbox user by the way ith the video mode changed the NTSC and GTA SA runs in 480p just fine

The worse case would be you have used the limit of game ID's, something I could not figure out how to fix manually and ended up formatting (If you do end up going that way make sure the Video Mode patcher is used to restore PAL first)

You know that you have hit the limit if everything new to your xbox just does not work black screen then back to the dash

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I tried XBMC yesterday and it had the same problem. I am also a PAL user but I've changed the video to NTSC.

Regarding the limit, I just transfered another game (Splinter Cell) and it works and also in 480p like it should according to the Wiki list.

I wish I could try the patched PAL XBE. Btw, my Xbox is apparently version 1.4 if that matters.

Another stupid problem about my Xbox is a really weird one but I'm throwing it out there in case anyone know how to fix it: I bought it used and it was already modded with a chip where you need to turn on the Xbox with the eject button while holding the power button (if you want to activate the chip). At first I thought something was broken because then I couldn't turn it OFF (while playing a game). I called they guy who sold it and he said you have to pull the plug/power for it to turn off, that's just how this particular chip works. So I thought alright, that's annoying but I can deal with it. The big problem was that every time I turn it off I takes awhile for me to be able to turn it ON again, it seemed totally random how much time; sometimes right away and sometimes minutes. Sometimes it turn on for a few seconds and then power off. Sometimes it turn on for only a tenth. Sometimes it turn on almost 100 % and then turn off.

This was never a big problem for me because it usually only took a couple of minutes. The last few times however it seems like I have to wait hours, what the hell is going on with that? This would be less of a problem if I could use In Game Reset but I remember trying to get it to work before but I just couldn't. This means that it's REALLY annoying to troublshoot stuff with this Xbox now.

Let's say I'm just in a dashboard though and want to reboot the console? No problem there, I can do it a hundred times over and it starts up fine. But when I pull the plug while playing a game, it takes a long time for it to be able to turn on again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Whatever chip that has it sounds like crap.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Sadly seems like that's the case. I called the guy who sold it and he said he'll come over and take a look at it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My Xbox is also a 1.4 and PAL but softmodded rather than a chip and the game just works, yes I have the video modded to NTSC also, partly to enable the 480p, 720p and 1080i modes

P.S. that kinda makes the console NTSC-E, for softmodded consoles that means retail discs from PAL-E regions and NTSC-U regions will not boot normally, if the mod is ever removed, it would just error out saying the disc is not for that region

If you have had or the previous owner had Splinter Cell on that Xbox in the past then it is not a valid test and the ID will still be recorded on the xbox HDD

Maybe test some more recent homebrew something that has little to no chance of ever being on that xbox (Though Avalaunch may of been a good bet there)

I don't have a PAL xbe though myself anyway so can't help there

BIOSchecker v5.0 will tell you what chip you have, there may be a much needed update for your mod chip

I find it very odd that is just does not work at all
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-February-2017 at 16:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Here's what BIOSchecker shows. Also, I did transfer v5.0 and did a test and it shows the same thing.

My Great Capture Screenshot 2017-02-03 22-17-00.jpg

I'm going to try to download an obscure game or homebrew and see about that ID test.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

EDIT: Just transfered Stubbs the Zombie which I'm pretty sure has never been played on this Xbox and it works fine (and in 480p widescreen at that).

Too bad I have to wait a few hours before I can turn on my Xbox now after trying it, yay!
    Last edited by Aeb; 3rd-February-2017 at 23:43.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Personally I would be tempted to disable the mod chip totally and install a softmod instead if that is still possible

Slow boot time could be a number of reasons though

Could be the chip itself
    Could be HDD integrity, file systems errors, HDD read speed (can degrade over time, usually more to do with sectors getting reused making the drive get fragmented, though unusual for the Xbox, but that would slow the reading process down alot)
    I am sure there are other reasons that could make it so boot time is slowed, a few hours though, that is extreme

I don't have a mod chip and know little about them but your is what is called "Cheapmods" (Nothing to do with the cost of it, it's just what it is known as)

http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo603.nfo is the nfo for a flasher for it and has a little bit of info on that mod chip

No idea where to find the bios for your mod chip though and I don't really have time to do this for you, so you can either do a bit of research yourself or wait for a user that knows more on this subject or maybe a bit of both
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-February-2017 at 09:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]