Thread: Hello - Emulator Controller Question

Thanks

Default Hello - Emulator Controller Question

k so I've recently been craving using a emulator and I'm looking to buy a controller. The one that's most standing out to me is the SNES controller, but I want to know the types of emulators I can actually play well with it.

For example, I know it will be good for SNES which is one of the main reasons I want to buy it, and I think it works good for sega too. But will it work at all for the WII emulators? WII is one of the more important ones unlike n64 and gamecube, but also would like to know how it would pair with those as well.

if I buy the SNES controller am I just limited to SNES?

any help appreciated

Thanks
    EP Points

Snes controller is good but you're limited by the number of buttons for most later systems but you could use it for anything as long as you can plug it into your pc.

I use a wired 360 controller personally which works for everything.

Also if you have any consoles lying around you could use the controller from one of those - for example an old PS2 controller and just buy a usb adapter online. They're only a few bucks.

Thanks

Do you think simpler games on the wii, such as donkey kong country and super mario bro's would be playable with a snes? with all buttons accounted for?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jarester View Post
    Do you think simpler games on the wii, such as donkey kong country and super mario bro's would be playable with a snes? with all buttons accounted for?

Sure. Is it an actual snes controller or one made for pc? If the former then you would need a usb adapter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Sure. Is it an actual snes controller or one made for pc? If the former then you would need a usb adapter.
    Yeah it's one for PC, and thx a lot

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You are better off with a USB Playstation pad or even better an actual PSX/PS2 pad and USB converter (converters are very cheap for PSX/PS2 pads) not sure about PS3 or PS4 last time I looked at using my PS3 on PC it had issues (connecting and disconnecting, i.e. sync issues) but that was a long time back and thing may of improved drastically since I tried.

One of the reasons I say to use one though is because it covers the buttons needed for Wii games designed to use GamePads and GameCube games as well as tons of other systems would be fine with a Playstation controller such as N64, Dreamcast, PSX/PS2 obviously mostly because it has the analog sticks needed

SNES pads would only be good for SNES and older systems (Sega up to CD-32X should be fine as that system used up to 6 gaming buttons A, B, C, X, Y & Z) with the exception of the odd game that would not use as complex controls released on later systems (those are few though most games would use the full set of controls on the respective system), Saturn N64 and PSX, a SNES pad is no good at all, just not enough buttons and no analog for systems that use it like N64, Dreamcast, PSX, PSP and up over

360 wired pads had an issue with the lower triggers not working together only individually (Think there was a fix for that but I forget maybe Zally uses the fix)

It also depends on the exact games you are talking about if you are talking about Wii games then no the SNES pad will not do if you are talking about SNES emulated games on a Wii then why emulate the Wii emulating a SNES and not just emulate the SNES directly

New Super Mario Bro. on the Wii you might get away with depending if you can set the motion control up on a digital only pad or not, Super Mario Bro

Asides from odd pads like N64 the basic layout of pads have not changed that much from the SNES pads, it has developed adding sticks and a better overall comfort in your hands but the same 4 buttons are there (marked up differently for other system brands) 2 back triggers now 4, D-pad still on the left, start select mostly still in the same place though functions may of changed on some consoles, you would also miss out on rumble features
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-January-2017 at 21:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

so you need motion controls to play simpler games like super mario bro's on the wii? cause I dont need the complex games just the ones that are without motion control and stuff, like donkey kong.

like I played super mario bro's on my original nintendo ds and it didn't require any motion controls and thats more the games I want to play. Havent played nintendo type games for quite a while so I'm not totally in the know with how the wii games work.

I know if it comes down to 3d games the SNES control will really not work well if at all.

But mainly need side scroller games

in the future I may be picking up a newer WII system so I don't need all the latest stuff just old types of stuff but if certain wii games are playable im more than happy (mario,donkey kong)

this is the controller I'm mostlikely going to be picking up

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wired-USB...ystem/46194873
    Last edited by deadlegion; 31st-January-2017 at 21:31. Reason: merged posts

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The DS version does not have a stupid hat that make your jump take you further with the Wii mote being lifted up and down fast to make the propeller on the hat spin, the odd place that you need to tilt the mote also asides from that the controls are basic you use a Wii mote on it's side D-pad on the left Jump and Run on the right like any other side scrolling Mario game,

DS version will use features of the DS the Wii version does use limited features of the Wii, it's actually a totally different game all new levels ect and the power ups are not all the same even the 3DS version is different again, not just the levels but the power ups have different ones to the others

Most games on the Wii even basic ones will use more controls than a SNES pad can handle or just use motion or light gun type controls that again can't relay be done with a SNES pad

Manual for New Super Mario on the Wii

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...?page=4#manual

Even Donkey Kong uses Motion controls

It might seem cool to have a SNES shaped pad (No guarantee it will be any good mind, one of the reasons I try and stick to official pads as I have had plenty of 3rd party pads and joysticks in the past and they never lasted like official pads do N64 pads being the exception especially for the stick), but going back to a SNES pad (copy or real) does kinda suck, I found it hard enough to to use a Saturn pad that is a bigger pad and found it far too small and got cramp in my hands from using it and I like my Saturn and do admit that I never let the pad stop me from using it, same can be said for NES SNES and other systems using those smaller pads, like I said newer pads have a better comfort design to them while keeping the same basic button layout but with extra's, saying that it is totally up to you what you want to play with

Megadrive/Genesis (plus addons) and SNES back over is fine for a SNES clone pad as well as GBA and older handheld systems (Some DS games would also work fine with a SNES pad)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-January-2017 at 21:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

k well that makes sense now thanks, Imma probably just stick to snes then

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

New Super Mario Bros Wii has a spinning jump that is activated by shaking the controller, and you can set that in the emulator to any key you want. Don't worry about the threshold if you are using a digital controller, it will either "shake" or not depending on if the button is pressed. Otherwise, any Wii game that requires pointing at the screen will be hard to set up on the controller.

And the issue with XBOX 360 controllers, if you were thinking of using one, is that the LT and RT are detected as an axis so that pressing both is the same as pressing neither. This can be solved with Joy2Key or Xpadder by setting the triggers to keyboard keys before configuring the Emulators' controller settings.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.