Thread: Can't get my memory cards to work

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Can't get my memory cards to work

Hi, everyone, I'm new here and I have a problem.
    In few words, I can't get my virtual memory cards to work. Not even in the bios of the emulator.
    I use ePSXe 2.0.5.
    I tried searching answers on the net and on emuparadise by myself but, apparently, no one had my same problem, so I guess I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
    I can't save my games and when I tried to enter the ePSXe bios to see if at least there the emulator read my virtual memory cards, the bios froze and I had to exit it with Alt+F4.
    I tried also to reset the filepath in "configure- memory cards" but nothing changed.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Where is your emulator installed?

Older versions of ePSXe don't run right in Program Files or in a direct subfolder of C: (C:\ePSXe) and if you install them there they won't read/write properly. They work right in Documents or on the desktop. You could get similar issues if you don't use Run as Administrator.

You may want to try re-downloading the BIOS if the above doesn't fix it, and let us know if you get it fixed or not so we can help solve it.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Good Swimmer View Post
    Where is your emulator installed?

Older versions of ePSXe don't run right in Program Files or in a direct subfolder of C: (C:\ePSXe) and if you install them there they won't read/write properly. They work right in Documents or on the desktop. You could get similar issues if you don't use Run as Administrator.

You may want to try re-downloading the BIOS if the above doesn't fix it, and let us know if you get it fixed or not so we can help solve it.
    Ok, thanks for your answer. I did as you suggested, I re-downloaded the BIOS and now I can save my game. But the problem only evolved. Now I save but, when I try to load my saves, my memory cards are completely blank... My memcards folder is empty, but, from what I evinced from the other posts I read, the memcard files are automatically created by the emulator when someone save, or am I wrong?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

How about the other part? Where have you installed the emulator, and do you Run as administrator?

This definitely seems like a write permission error. Often things will look like they saved but that will revert to unsaved when you close the program*. Typically when it is in a protected folder the program will give you an error window, so I am guessing that the folder is not the problem.

You can set ePSXe to Run as administrator by default: Open the folder with ePSXe.exe, right click the emulator, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, near the bottom click the check box for "Run this program as an administrator" and click ok. Now when you run ePSXe you will get the confirmation window where you would click Yes.

* Are you closing ePSXe the right way? You press Esc to get back to the window with the menus, and then exit out from there. If you aren't doing that, you are probably closing from the Task Manager, which gives you a confirmation window stating that data won't be saved. This could cause your Memory Card files lose any data you saved.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 9th-February-2017 at 22:38.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skullpoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Good Swimmer View Post
    How about the other part? Where have you installed the emulator, and do you Run as administrator?

This definitely seems like a write permission error. Often things will look like they saved but that will revert to unsaved when you close the program*. Typically when it is in a protected folder the program will give you an error window, so I am guessing that the folder is not the problem.

You can set ePSXe to Run as administrator by default: Open the folder with ePSXe.exe, right click the emulator, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, near the bottom click the check box for "Run this program as an administrator" and click ok. Now when you run ePSXe you will get the confirmation window where you would click Yes.

* Are you closing ePSXe the right way? You press Esc to get back to the window with the menus, and then exit out from there. If you aren't doing that, you are probably closing from the Task Manager, which gives you a confirmation window stating that data won't be saved. This could cause your Memory Card files lose any data you saved.
    Yes, I run epsxe as administrator already and the folder is on my desktop. For what concerns the way I close the emulator, I'm doing it pressing the esc button as you said. To be honest, with the emulator I downloaded before I used alt+F4 at the beginning, then I discovered the esc button way. With this fresh installation I always used esc button.

Ok, it was my mistake. The first time I downloaded, I put the emulator in my secondary hdd and, apparently, this was the problem. The second time, there was an error in memcard path. I had two folders very similar in name and I chose the wrong one... yes I'm stupid XD. Now everything works fine!

However my deepest thanks for your time, Goodswimmer, see you around!
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-February-2017 at 21:10. Reason: merged posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to retrojoy For This Useful Post: