Thread: Running Wii Games On Wii W/out CDs?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Running Wii Games On Wii W/out CDs?

Is there any way to run Wii Games (Games for Wii) w/out CDs or do you have to put the ISOs on CDs to run them?

Thanks
    EP Points

You can use a hard drive with a modded wii.
    Last edited by Ktiger41; 29th-January-2017 at 21:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

How do make the Wii Modded?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by EmulateEPL View Post
    How do make the Wii Modded?
    With modmii https://sourceforge.net/projects/modmii/

it is self guided so just follow the prompts carefully, reading everything it asks of you (make sure it downloads everything that is needed, if not just keep retrying until the last few files get downloaded, it always verifies it's files so easy enough to tell)

The only extra's you need is a SD card and a large USB 2.0 HDD [Not sure if USB 3.0 will cause any issues or not] (USB Sticks and other flash media will cause issues down the line though but there are fixes, if they are still live online to use)

you can worry about other bits later just go through that first (P.S. keep the nand dump, you can use that later for a virtual Nand that is not limited by the small amount of internal Nand the Wii has so you can install as Many Wii Ware/Wii Virtual Console games as you like)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2017 at 09:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

You can also use an external cd reader, use internal cd reader, usb storage, and memory card.

Thanks

Is there any homebrew to run ISOs, preferably via network/SMB share? I'm using a USB drive at the moment but would like all games be put on my NAS. Thanks.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A USB HDD is the best option period and will run disc images just fine though ISO is not the best format to use, but there is software that will copy a game from *.iso format to the HDD in a better format for a USB HDD

Every other option will lag (e.g. Disc or SD card) or have other issues with some games crashing (e.g. USB Memory stick)

A USB HDD can be used for everything Homebrew, Wii games, GameCube games, Virtual Nand (Virtual Nand can be used for Wii Ware, Saves and Virtual Console games)

Only issue with using a HDD is that you may want to add a few partitions as you can only store 500 games per partition, or to be exact the USB Loaders can only read 500 games per partition but can read from multiple partitions at once so not a big issue

Streaming Game Data to the Wii if it is possible would be laggy although I have never looked into this for the Wii I know the GameCube even with a 100Mbit Wired Network lagged most games and a number are unplayable though do admit a small number did run fine.

I do not think this is possible though as I can't seem to find homebrew to do this

Streaming a large file that is randomly accessed like a DVD disc image has a very high chance of lagging as it takes time to go through large amounts of data and the fact that the data is not sequential like streaming movie files that can read ahead storing data in a temp file or ram to keep the stream smooth
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2017 at 15:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Disc images (iso) run fine on NTFS HDD. I can't speak for USB loader performance but I know for a fact that there aren't any problems using ODDE.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This I am aware of, but the best all round format for a USB HDD is Fat32 with 32KB cluster size that works with everything, but it is a requirement for GameCube games

But no harm in having several partitions that one could be NTFS, then again the format I am thinking of "WBFS" (the file format not the HDD format) is also a form of compression so more can fit on the drive and will split larger files to accommodate for the Fat32 file size limit so the few DVD9 games will also work from Fat32

There are no problems with USB loaders either

A Softmod Wii has no issues with anything providing it is setup correctly, they kinda perfected things very quickly once the USB loaders arrived, nothing I can think of that does not work

From HDD I have ran Wii games, GC games, Wii-Ware, Virtual Console, game saves, Homebrew mostly in the form of emulators and ports all via the HDD even stopped using the SD card that asides from using one to install or update, it is never in the Wii at all normally as I use a small shortcut installed to the internal Nand that points to the USB loader on the HDD and from there I can run everything, asides from default apps and the USB loader shortcut there is not even anything on my NAND as even that has more lag than the USB drive does from some of the Virtual console games, mostly N64 games

Soft-modding is the way to go with a Wii rather than a chip now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2017 at 17:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

You can still use softmod with ODDE. All it does is emulate the DVD drive so you can store 1:1 Wii copies on NTFS.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup you can do that anyway, no need to buy a chip to do that

The fact that you have one to start with is just a bonus for you and was the best option back in the day

The thing you need to buy is a USB HDD or an enclosure and a HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-June-2017 at 02:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

"Use a hard drive, or a flash memory" everyone says that

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't use flash memory, flash memory has issues of it's own though there are extra steps that can be taken to help improve on those.

I already mentioned that

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]