Thread: MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Winkawaks & NeorageX Rom compatibility question

Thanks

Default MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Winkawaks & NeorageX Rom compatibility question

hi guys, I'm updating my emulators right now but having some compatibility issues with some of my updated roms.

previously i have dedicated emulators for Neorage X on Neogeo games, Winkawaks 1.57 & 1.62 for CPS1 & CPS2 games, mame for the rest, but since Mame has been updated more frequent with more functions and Neorage X is no longer updated, i decided to update the rom sets to Mame (already done for CPS2).

I've also downloaded the CPS3 rom & chd files for mame off planetemu.

however i just read about Final Burn being better emulator for CPS1,2,3 & Neogeo games but i noticed my Winkawaks 1.57 no longer recognize the CPS2 roms i have replaced with mame.

I know Neorage X is the oddball but i plan to get a different set of rom for mame or FB. question is can Mame switch the neogeo roms between MVS & Home System?

And i want to ask are the roms compatible between mame+ 1.8.0 (0.168) & final burn alpha for Neo Geo, CPS1,2,3 or Final Burn Alpha sharing roms with Winkawaks or are they all mostly non-compatible?

I'm thinking mame is the safe route as it will continue to get updates so it's more future proof.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Final Burn Alpha sharing roms with Winkawaks and kept separate from MAME

MAME not only updates the core (emulator engines) but also updates the dumps used so those are constantly getting dumped or re-compressed as far as chd's go, that are dumps of CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, GD-Rom & HDD ect other media asides from rom chips

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Final Burn Alpha sharing roms with Winkawaks and kept separate from MAME

MAME not only updates the core (emulator engines) but also updates the dumps used so those are constantly getting dumped or re-compressed as far as chd's go, that are dumps of CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, GD-Rom & HDD ect other media asides from rom chips
    hi, so the compatibility of Final Burn & winkawaks applies to CPS1,2,3 & Neogeo roms right?

i have yet tested the CHD's but for CPS3 i only Mame comes with CHD FBA version comes as zip roms right?

anyway performance aside, are FBA & Winkawaks still the better option for CPS & Neogeo games?

also can FBA switch Neogeo games between MVS & Home System?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

CPS and NeoGeo doesn't really matter MAME plays those just as good as any other emulator the games are playable in most emulators supporting NeoGeo and CPS

FBA in general is the better option

The Neo-Geo Uni bios lets you choose the mode be that arcade or console

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

MAME works with all CPS-1,2 and 3 ROMs that I tested, and would be my recommended emulator. It is the most accurate emulator and almost any current mainstream CPU such as i3 or FX will run these games at full speed. And choosing Unibios will allow you to switch between Neo-Geo arcade (MVS) and console (AES) hardware.
    Last edited by ksio89; 10th-February-2017 at 00:39.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A little late but if you want to learn FBA or Retroarch for playing these I am the one to ask, I love the stuff.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    A little late but if you want to learn FBA or Retroarch for playing these I am the one to ask, I love the stuff.
    Newest version of FBA is out 0297.40.
    Do I need to wait for an updated romset or will the roms from previous versions work perfect?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

previous versions work perfect.....

They usually do still work but always worth checking the readme or update info to see what they added/fixed in that version

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Newest version of FBA is out 0297.40.
    Do I need to wait for an updated romset or will the roms from previous versions work perfect?
    Most work but you will hit that error on occasion, kinda why new sets are made and overwrite the old on various sites.

You can check with the FBA exe and hash that set, you will get various checks showing each parent/clone status.

Also regarding updated sets, you get new games thrown into the mix.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.