Thread: HTPC Emulation System Questions

Thanks

Default HTPC Emulation System Questions

I want to make an htpc with emulators from nes all the way up to Nintendo 64, dreamcast, ps1 @ 2. Id like to play all of these on my 60 inch tv at the best quality I can (60fps 1080) or whatever the best graphics each emulator can go to.

Problem is I don't know much about computer hardware/specs so I'm looking for some help. I was looking at Alienware alpha's due to the small form factor, are any of these good enough to play all these emulators at max graphics?

If not, what would you guys recommend? Do certain emulators/systems require different hardware? Any help would be appreciated

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am too far behind hardware wise to give advice on that

But something to be aware of is that N64, NDS, PSP, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and higher end emulators are not 100% playable for every game out there, some games will have issues others will just be unplayable, most games will run fine though

Higher end emulators though like PS2 (PCSX2) and Gamecube/Wii (Dolphin) do have there own requirements/recommendations listed on there own web sites, it's the recommendations you want to look at and maybe aim higher than those.

MAME is going to have a bunch of none working games and partial working games even a few that will run slow no matter how high end of a machine is used though also be aware that MAME is a CPU heavy emulator and does not take advantage of super high end Graphics chip sets.

There are also a bunch of new dev emulators that may not be perfect running also.

I will guess that you actually want 3D enhanced 1080p as well rather than just a stretched image, but be aware than 2D images can not use 3D enhancements and will only be able to use pixel type filters, hat you may or may not like.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR