Thread: Gimmick mapper 69--want to load ROM onto NES Classic

Thanks

Default Gimmick mapper 69--want to load ROM onto NES Classic

Hi All

It's my first post and I'm a novice so please forgive me for any boneheaded questions.

I just bought an NES Classic yesterday(!) and I still can't believe I was fortunate enough. It's definitely worth the hassle and the ability to add ROMs makes it the coolest thing ever. I've never played Mr. Gimmick, but I've listened to the soundtrack like 100 times since I heard it a year ago or so. Attempting to add it gives me the error that it uses Mapper #69 and would likely not work. I'm also aware that there are a Japanese and European version, and I'd probably want the Euro version. Would the mapper mean that I wouldn't get the awesome tunes? Can a novice mod a rom? Should I give up on this endeavor? Thanks in advance for any help or consideration!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes, changing the mapper will mean you get no awesome tunes. But this is a partial case. Original gimmick carts used a special mapper with a built in PSG, which produced extra sound channels that were mixed with the NESs/Famicom's internal sound chip.

Modding the rom for a different mapper would be easy since there are a lot of premade applications that automate it, but like I said: dull tunes. The game is good as hell though, so I suggest you go ahead and do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you! Can you recommend any software or programs to do just that or should I just give it a go without modding first?

Thanks
    EP Points