Thread: Is this Original Xbox modified?

Thanks

Default Is this Original Xbox modified?

I got this original Xbox that is working. I got it last year but i never really bothered opening it up just had it stored in my closet (also because i already have another Xbox that i use sometimes) but this Xbox the details from the past owner (my aunts husband) said the console could burn games and play them from the hard drive (except it didn't have a hard drive) so i was like ok it's alright. Nice i'll take it. (it was free) lol Yay!

Just now i decided to open it up and see what was up. The system boots up to the Xbox Logo and then it gives me an Error Code. (Because there is no HDD) that's about it.

I will post a photo. Original Xbox.jpg

Hope someone can help me. I did notice something to the left. Could that be a mod chip or something? Wouldi just need an HDD to start playing games? lol Also a pain in the a to take off the heatsinks. I repasted the Xbox in the proccess i cut myself taking off the left heatsink. lol
    Last edited by gMemo92; 15th-January-2017 at 01:28.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't really tell much from the photo, and it's been a long time since I have been Inside of an Xbox.
    Take another shot of that so called "mod chip".

IIRC, an Xbox HDD is pretty specific to the console and cannot simply be swapped out. They must be cloned from the original. You may have some difficulty getting any other drive to work .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah that pic is very small and doesn't have any enlarge option. It does look like some sort of modchip is attached to the LPC port (where the wires appear to be attached to the mainboard).

I have never removed heatsinks as never had the need.

I would try throwing in an old IDE HDD, then use something like Slayers disc to see if you can format/build the HDD. Might be all it needs...although there could be something wrong with the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    IIRC, an Xbox HDD is pretty specific to the console and cannot simply be swapped out. They must be cloned from the original. You may have some difficulty getting any other drive to work .
    Edit:
    If it's a decent modchip with a decent bios any IDE drive will do, I have never come across a drive I couldn't use regardless of manufacture...don't need to prep the drive before putting it in either, Slayers disc can handle everything you need to do.

Only softmod have restrictions on drive types and locked/unlocked business.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-January-2017 at 04:39.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Ok i will try posting a new photo a higher res once i get to my house. I took the other photo with my HTC that's why it's blurry. I am sure it's something though. Hoping i will just need an HDD and no cloning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah it does look like a modchip. I mean I can't think what else it could be, nothing is ever attached to the LPC port besides some sort of modchip.

Although I admit I have never looked at a dev console so no idea if they're the same but with the header already there, or if there's something extra idk

Spoiler warning: