Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Showing the love for Breath of Fire!

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

By Homage I meant a all new game in or around the same style as BoF and other classics, just can't use any existing assets or that won't be pretty for the dev as Cashcom sues them.

Oddly enough I own a Visual Novel for DVD Players that has a Blue Hared MC and his name is Ryu.......the title is called Dragonia.

https://vndb.org/v63

..........this seems more like a ripoff than a homage...........
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

......Wow, they havent even tried to hide it have they? He even has ryu's haircut from 2 XD and is the fuo lu behind it? lol No no lemme guess, he meets a "tailed" woman named Neen....or ninea XD
    Also I see what you mean however we'll have to leave it to the east especially now their indie PC market is starting to rise...i wanted to hang myself the last time i looked at the so called RPGs on steam, soul destroying :'(

*edit* Upon looking into this "Wheeze of Flame" you sent warrior, it seems to also be shoved into dragon ball's storyline XD inwhich "orbs can make dragon's do one's bidding". The word of today kids is "LAWSUIT".
    Last edited by Crash-Headroom; 14th-January-2017 at 03:18.
    Spoiler warning:

Check out my own music at:
    https://crash-headroom.bandcamp.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh ffs, yeah see now what you mean about milking for money from this new title..

But they could've picked anything else they had but BOF, why fuck with my series man lol..

Alwell, all we can do is just remember BOF for the classic it was until Capcom went all darkside on it's ass!.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-January-2017 at 06:16. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would take a look at this and it should become self explanatory as to why they are bastardizing these classic franchises ,

Sorry tad off topic ..... naw this is totally on topic.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Just watching them now m8, this is totally on point and lmao

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I would take a look at this and it should become self explanatory as to why they are bastardizing these classic franchises ,

Sorry tad off topic ..... naw this is totally on topic.
    LOL Capcom's is perfect XD "Capcom: The japanese Electronic Arts!" Gone have the days I'd have a half nekkid cat gal wanting to bonk thing on the head for me :'(...Screw it, im loading retroarch up now XD, I wanna' see how good this translation thingie is. Oh also! theres a new mod for snes games thats starting to gain some ground...sounds DAMN amazing:

Only a few games work with it atm but bof 1 and 2 will follow soon . The guy is trying to get the mod to work with ANY SNES image
    Last edited by Crash-Headroom; 14th-January-2017 at 17:44.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Let me know about the bofs, be nice ti see another interesting side of them..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Let me know about the bofs, be nice ti see another interesting side of them..
    Well in BoF4 Scias was actually a drunk and outside japan he suddenly has a "speech impediment" aka stuttering........

I greatly hate the BoF4 bastardization we got and would pay for a retranslation patch to slap over the BoF4 Japan redump.

Thanks
    EP Points

Really???
    Thats so cool, well. All them bits do add up.

And least the combo and game mechanics never got messed with thank god..

An overhaul of a translation would be too much I think, maybe if I had that skill type..
    But alas, I don't man.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-January-2017 at 05:05. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

There was also the accidental breast grope scene with ryu and ursula XD...you can tell how pathetic the censors were getting by that point can't you :/ I've been watching that little "manouvre" in anime for years lol oh FYI, more news on the cruddy new one, it appears like they've tried to ommit both BoF 4 and 5's existence out of the canon as the prologue is kind of taking off from BoF 3's ending "the random hero sealed the planets fate and caused the desert to spread over the world" im not quite sure how to take that, i didn't think 4 was amazing but neither do i think it needs the deletion treatment :/ I could be completely wrong but alot of the game's write up seems to take place a couple of hundred years after 3, which would mean 4 didn't happen as thats about the same time as this is ment to be.

Oh also another little bit of censorship in BoF 2 XD Ryu burns a forest down due to "changing into a dragon" in the western release...this part is true but the whole reason got cut XD in the jap version it is implied ryu fucked someone (the fire shaman i think?) and half way through the act, "popped" as it were XD I love japan.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Crazy japs...

And WTF, feck them scurvy corpse sniffing *********

Trying to write off bof 4 is bs, fair enough it's not everyones favourite one.
    But it belongs there damnit, and the story altho across here maybe not perfect. IT BELONGS!

The combo system was awesome, like boom. The anime, well... Bit much at times for me i'll admit, but overall fair enough.
    And you could easily sit back and play and enjoy all 4 bof games. Bof 4 ending on a note like that, sending them all away "if you picked that option".

And then we get, that thing we shall not speak of!.
    Anyway, seriously.. Like saying, nah it never happened?.

They need to watch that damn video Warrior posted lmao.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is capcoms tryout for new slogans....it went well I think

Do what im doing, emulate the pcengine, its the land of rpgs onthat thing then CD stuff and well you got yourself better than snes RPGs in the same era....proving the yakuza really do have a strangle hold on- *head explodes from sniper shot*
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

lol

Thanks
    EP Points

I really love this series! I actually like Dragon Quarter best of all, and still think it's one of the most interesting, different and memorable RPGs I've ever played. But I can definitely appreciate how it could be a very divisive game for many fans of the series, and I think that looking back, it might have been better to have released it free of the Breath of Fire name (I get the impression that the English localisation staff probably thought so too, given that they chose to drop the number 5 from the title for its Western release... ). While I think it was a fascinating reimagining and deconstruction of the series, gambling the brand name on a game that was almost guaranteed to polarize opinion from the outset was probably not the best move for Capcom. :'D Dragon Quarter aside, I think for me it's probably IV > II > III > I in terms of preference. But I like all of them to varying degrees.

Also, really surprised at how harsh people are being on the English version of Breath of Fire IV in this thread. Putting aside a couple of issues (a handful of untranslated elements like the ending credits, opening movie and the Japanese title on the title screen) that were largely the result of the game being rushed to market for the holiday season, it's easily one of the PS1's more competent JRPG translations for me, with a mostly well written script that deftly deals with a number of relatively tricky pieces of made up terminology in Japanese (I love "Endless" as a translation for "Utsurowazaru Mono" ), and also puts a good amount of thought into how to give the English script its own flavour and character with things like Fou-Lu's faux old English, and the adoption of Korean as the language of the Endless in the English version to give them an identity removed from either Japanese or English (nearly all of the names of the dragons / their elemental spells in the English one are actually Korean words - "Hwa" means "Fire", "Bing" is "Ice", "P'ung Ryong" is "Wind Dragon", the "Yorae" in "Yorae Dragon" is a Korean Buddhist term referring to transcendence beyond the human condition, etc...).

As for the censorship issue, I reaaaally don't think it's nearly as bad as is being made out. I played the game in both languages, and the only censorship change that I think is really significant is the one of a certain character's death, given that the scene transition in the English version does feel quite awkward once you know what was supposed to be there, and given that the scene did add something quite meaningful to the story. But even then, it's not something I even noticed in the English version until I played it in Japanese, so I don't think it's an enormous deal breaker. As for the rest... The three other scenes are fairly disposable sex jokes that don't serve to add much to the story, and which I actually think are a bit jarring in contrast to the game's general tone to begin with. The Scan ability wasn't one that was enormously useful in the Japanese version anyway, and they had a pretty good reason for cutting it (the text box simply isn't big enough to show all the elements in English, and would have required modification). And Scias's alcoholic slur becoming a stammer is a bit unnecessary, but really not that much worse than any number of JRPGs that have made similar changes to alcohol (heck games as prestigious as Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger did it too, and arguably in far more goofy, less believable ways). Also a little surprised that it's IV's English localisation that is getting the most flak when Breath of Fire II, much as I love it, has a script that is easily one of the worst JRPG localisations in the history of gaming, and one that does pretty much everything that it's possible to do wrong in a translation. :'D Surely you can't give that a free pass if you're going to come down so hard on IV's comparatively minor issues?
    Last edited by Elin; 16th-January-2017 at 04:36.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Ryu

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, it's nice to not see only a big bof fan. But Breath of Fire IV.
    I found it one day, the green sleve over with him holding the sword up and fou lou in the background glaring.

I noticed something very cool, very quickly. It had a combo system, unlike anything I had seen before "maybe at times, certain stf moves lol".
    Anyway, the more I played, more I loved it more than the rest. I even came to respect the high polygon count gfx, altho.. Synesta, the damn camera angles for the kids lol.. But overall not bad.

For me it was the storyline, I liked it. Two halfs meeting to merge into the ultimate god, how it depends is down to your choices.
    Meanwhile with masters and higher enemy skills, the combo system is getting insane lol. So much you can do with that, like alot!.

The stuff like final combo's: Supernova
    And the ability to control Kaiser if you have enough time

And I guess thats why it's my favourite..