Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub-Zero problem

Thanks

Default Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub-Zero problem

hi guys
    i have the NTSC-U version of the game it runs good but i can't find any shaders to work with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	51070

the background looks good but the foreground and the character look like shit and i have tried most of the shaders that came with the 2.0.5 Ultimate Pack but nothing gave a good result
    any help?

i'm using ePSXe 2.0.5 Ultimate Pack (20160714)
    Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU. V 2.9

AMD 8350
    GTX 970
    8 GB Ram
    Win 7 x64

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

2D sprites over a 3D backdrop

The 3D has been enhanced the 2D has not, you need a 2D filter

You can try a couple of things like the High Res filer 2xsai or Fullscreen smoothing (there are several levels you can use) or both

Going for a software plugin is also a good option using the HQx3 stretching option best for 2D games

PSXdatacenter also has recomended settings per game and may have a good alt setup for you
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-January-2017 at 09:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

ok i did what you said but no it's still the same i don't know why

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In the config > Video > Config window, look for the "Texture Filtering" pulldown, options 5 and 6 both end with Smoothed Sprites. Give one of those a try. Combined with one of the options Zorlon mentioned it should give good results.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Good Swimmer View Post
    In the config > Video > Config window, look for the "Texture Filtering" pulldown, options 5 and 6 both end with Smoothed Sprites. Give one of those a try. Combined with one of the options Zorlon mentioned it should give good results.
    done that already no luck that's weird i can run every game i have with shaders except this one

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

look at http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm#SHADER grab the guest(r)'s shader collection and look at using one of the 4x shaders, these are aimed at sprite games aka 2D games but the game of choice is a mix of 2D and 3D or just have a play round and see what gives you the best result from those

You can also check his message board for more

The problem is the game is not a 3D game, it is only the backdrop that is 3D with sprites for the characters aka 2D graphics

or just switch to software rendering as I mentioned before
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-January-2017 at 18:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

you forgot that ePSXe 2.0.5 Ultimate Pack (20160714) came with a lot of shaders including the ones you mentioned -except maybe one or two and yes i did realize that the game is in fact 2D and the 3D part is just a pic-if i can say that-in the background
    and i did switched to software but nothing i used a lot of shaders there like 4xHq but still i started to think this is plugin issue i don't want that since there is like billions of them out there and i don't want to try all of them
    what you think

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Might want to try RetroArch instead. You will probably need a guide to set it up at the start, but after that it is much simpler and you can apply and try different shaders easily during play by switching to the menus (F1), select, apply, resume game. The shaders are also much more straightforward like NES or SuperNES emulators.

Not sure about transferring your saved game tho.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Those shaders like to have certain setups

normal textures
    no texture filtering
    no fullscreen smoothing
    shader level 4

the above is the norm to get the best out of those 2D shaders

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Might want to try RetroArch instead. You will probably need a guide to set it up at the start, but after that it is much simpler and you can apply and try different shaders easily during play by switching to the menus (F1), select, apply, resume game. The shaders are also much more straightforward like NES or SuperNES emulators.

Not sure about transferring your saved game tho.
    i did download RetroArch and got it up and running and this is the best view i can get from it with sahders i tried them all and yes you were right about applying them it's much easier

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	51082
    i don't know if this is better or worse to be honest my eyes hurt me sooooo much right now

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Those shaders like to have certain setups

normal textures
    no texture filtering
    no fullscreen smoothing
    shader level 4

the above is the norm to get the best out of those 2D shaders
    yeah i know i have tried what you said but no
    i wish if someone could create a damn shader for this game and be done with it or someone who played this game tell us what the name of that freaking shader

any more ideas ?

thanks in advance

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Retroarch is going to give you the best effect the shaders I mentioned do work just not as effective as you wanted obviously

The following shot is from ePSXe

Name:	PSOGL2_001.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	51083

EDIT my screen grab messed up because half the screen was off screen when I took the snap shot but you should get the idea still and the actual render did not mess up like the screen grab
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2017 at 17:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The entire Retroarch screen cap looks excessively smoothed and far too soft for an MK game. If you have your filters set to 4 passes, reducing the passes should make things look less soft. It will also reduce the load on your system, especially if you decide to use multiple filters.

Something that MIGHT help in ePSXe is to set up a profile in your Nvidia Control Panel with high Anti-Aliasing settings. I say Might because it is generally for 3D games so I'm not sure it would do great things for the 2D character sprite.

Thanks

The entire Retroarch screen cap looks excessively smoothed and far too soft for an MK game. If you have your filters set to 4 passes, reducing the passes should make things look less soft. It will also reduce the load on your system, especially if you decide to use multiple filters.

Something that MIGHT help in ePSXe is to set up a profile in your Nvidia Control Panel with high Anti-Aliasing settings. I say Might because it is generally for 3D games so I'm not sure it would do great things for the 2D character sprite.
    thanks mate did that and yeah it did reduce the load on the system but still not good
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Retroarch is going to give you the best effect the shaders I mentioned do work just not as effective as you wanted obviously

The following shot is from ePSXe

Name:	PSOGL2_001.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	51083

EDIT my screen grab messed up because half the screen was off screen when I took the snap shot but you should get the idea still and the actual render did not mess up like the screen grab
    i know i have tried all the shaders that came with Retroarch and they are not effective as you say ,i saw your screen grab and it looks a little better than mine on epsxe but it's too soft i mean the character doesn't look sharp i think you know what i mean
    i'm still testing on epsxe i must get this to work even if i'm not going to play it, it's a challenge now

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's the general trade-off when up-scaling. Blocky and sharp, or smooth and soft. It eventually comes down to finding a middle ground that you can live with.

To really get that old PS look, you have to use a small window so everything is close to the original pixel count, 320x240 CRT TV.

Thanks

320x240 that's too small for i don't know every one btw isn't Rayman a 2D game ? the reason i ask is the game runs very smoothly with 2x-5xBR3.8a + colors shader and others if i'm right then why the hell MK doesn't do the same ?