Thread: Can a PS2 read burned games

Thanks

Default Can a PS2 read burned games

Hi everyone, so a family member gave me their PS2 a few days ago and I was wondering... can a PS2 read burned games let's say burn GTA San Andreas in a DVD-R? If not do I need to mod it or something

Thanks in Advance

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

You need to mod it to play burnt games. The easiest way is to get Free Memory Card Boot (FMCB) and load ESR patched games. FMCB is easy to get, if you know anybody with a modded PS2 they can just load up a memory card for you. Failing that, you need to buy a memory card or some boot disc online.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    You need to mod it to play burnt games. The easiest way is to get Free Memory Card Boot (FMCB) and load ESR patched games. FMCB is easy to get, if you know anybody with a modded PS2 they can just load up a memory card for you. Failing that, you need to buy a memory card or some boot disc online.
    I just talked to my family member he said that only 1 of the games he gave me with the PS2 is original and that the other ones where like you know pirated so... will they work?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I'm sure they'll work fine. Your system could be chipped. Or it's already loaded up with FMCB. To easily see the difference, boot up one of your pirated games with and without your memory card inserted. If it boots burnt games without the memory card, then your PS2 is chipped. If it needs that memory card, then any new games you burn for it, need to be patched for ESR.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Ok, will check on that once I get to my house, thanks for all the help!

Ok I just got my PS2 controller finally and I tried a non original game, MGS3 Snake Eater to be excact, Tried it without the memory card and with the memory card and both of them read the game!

IMG_2378.jpgIMG_2377.jpg
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2017 at 04:05.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you plan to burn discs make sure they are high quality disc

P.S. dual layer burnable disc may cause issues for you but most of those have rip kits to split a game over 2 or 3 discs without removing any content or any downsampling or to a single DVD5 disc but with either something removed or lower quality sound and or video

if your PS2 is not one of the first versions then DVD+R is a higher quality media to use (there are still low quality +R's though just not as bad as low quality DVD-R discs)

if you change the book type of a DVD+R to DVD-ROM in ImgBurn you should still be able to use those with the first release of the PS2

The reason why DVD+R was recommended against originally was because the first PS2 was released before DVD+R existed and does not play them at all or so users thought at the time and is true if the book type is not changed prior to burning (might be best to test with cheap DVD+R's for testing it should not matter so much for the quality even low quality DVD+~R's should at least boot ok though the chip may not support all games)

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. is worth looking at before you buy any DVD media -R or +R, it has user feedback on how well they play back on consoles and other devices, though do note that some discs look exactly same in the package and can only be ID'ed after you open them

P.S. RW discs will not work for games, films do seem to work, but RW media may have trouble being read for films and cause stutter and image distortion

Not all PS2 chips support PSX games so worth a try, CD-R quality media recommended also for those low quality discs may not even boot or just have very bad stutter in FMV cuts and fail to load parts of a game

P.P.S. Quality has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with where it is manufactured

Burning speed can have a great effect to the quality also, best to start with the slowest speed your burning hardware supports, if you set ImgBurn to burn at 1x it will auto adjust that to the hardware's slowest speed that today will be much faster than 1x, the slowest speed is not the best for all burners but most burners tend to work best at the slowest, so it's more a general rule rather than a fixed rule
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2017 at 09:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR