Thread: How do you make "recording" footage smoother while using a PS1 emulator?

Thanks

Default How do you make "recording" footage smoother while using a PS1 emulator?

I realize that emulators use up a lot of processing power. I've also heard that screen capture devices use up a lot of processing power as well. I'm using the Windows 10 screen recorder because Fraps is too slow.

Is there any way to make the recordings appear smoother? Some parts of the gameplay footage is fine, while others parts are choppy. I've tried turning off the sound completely. It helped only a little bit.

What other tweaks should I make in order to get smoother looking gameplay footage?

I'm using ePSXe by the way

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pete's Soft Plugin is one of the least Hardware stressing plugins and works great with most games (It is not a fancy plugin though so no 3D enhancements so looks closer to what the original hardware would produce) You will add stress to it though if you start using anything that says it needs a fast CPU or is a slower option

That plugin also has it's own Video recording features, if you feel the need

#4) Movie recording (Windows version only)
    -----------------------------------------
    You can start/stop recording by using the 'recording' hotkey.
    A avi file will get created in the \Demo sub-directory.
    The Default hot key is * on the number pad

This is just the video that is recorded though

Pete's sound plugin also has recording features though

You can always add Video effects to the output video instead of having them there while playing (Not 3D effects because you can't add 3D effects to something that is not 3D but there are tons of other screen effects you could add in the video processing after the video is created)

Fraps may just work much better also using the lower end video plugin
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-January-2017 at 08:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Okay, I guess that's one way to solve it. But is there another way I can capture footage? Like some sort of "streaming" method? I have 2 computers. 1 desktop and 1 laptop.
    Would it be possible for me to use my laptop as the "capture device" and use my computer for the gameplay? Or would I have to buy some sort of capture card for my computers in order to do it?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depending on the video out

You should be able to use a video capture device for sure

A cheap SD one like EasyCap USB would work great (Takes standard A/V Yellow Video and Red White sound or you can use S-Video), naturally you would also need to have those outputs on your Graphics chipset on your PC

HD capture devices are going to cost you, Alot though if you want to capture VGA or HDMI, saying that though you could possibly get a TV DVD-Recorder with Component input as well as Composite or even better a TV Recorder (to HDD) that takes today's standard but again not cheap.

If you can get a clear capture though you could use a camera directly on your screen from a static stand

A standard Laptop does not come with any way of taking external display though so yeah you will need extra capture hardware

As I own an EasyCap myself I can show you the quality I got from it, the streams are from my Saturn console hooked up to EasyCap

Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-January-2017 at 08:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR