Thread: I'm a genius! (N64 controller cord repair/replacement)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Default I'm a genius! (N64 controller cord repair/replacement)

I don't believe the internet has previously figured this out. Google searches I've done have suggested that this is impossible without visible splicing, and suggested buying an aftermarket replacement. This is a problem given the plethora of N64 controller colors, and if you're OCD enough that aftermarket connector staring at you, mocking you, might make you hang yourself.

But I've finally popped open a connector without damaging it. Ok, I slightly damaged it, grabbing it with a vice, drilling out the visible tab, blowing WD-40 into it, whatever Here's what worked. I obtained some thin/flat metal from the seal on a bag of cookies I was throwing out. I gave the ends of the metal a slight bend so they point outward, and pressed them into the tab slots as hard as possible (don't hurt yourself, use some pliers). Then I folded down the excess metal just to get it out of the way, and I carefully wrapped the black tip with a whole bunch of packing tape. The tape is for grabbing, so go nuts. Once taped up I grabbed the tape in one hand and the connector in the other and pulled it apart, it required twisting, rocking and a lot of force to pop it apart. But far less force than I applied to it with other brute force methods I tried.

Now I just need to go to the Home Depot and pickup some 3-wire cable. IIRC they had some red stuff I thought looked pretty for like 10¢ a foot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ragnar is doing repairs while drunk, noted.

It also looks like the family dog got mixed up in his cord repair.

Just kidding, nice job on the quick & dirty repair.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I have a cold now. Coincidence? Or did Nintendo plant a virus inside inside their connectors for additional protection?!
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Bump, I've got some progress~
    Home Depot let their selection of wire go to crap, and there was nothing suitable there. So I ordered a N64 controller extension cable from China, of course it took 3 months to arrive because China

I popped it open easily with the above method, hoping to simply reuse the Chinese connector. But the connector quality is obviously lower and there are some obvious differences
    small164418.jpg

No space for the noise reducer, and the wire colors almost match, white green, same thing
    small164723.jpg

This thingy here on the Chinese connector is a latch that held the wires in their home
    small171035.jpg

The latch on the Nintendo connector isn't a separate piece (perhaps it's only a separate piece on the Chinese one because I broke it opening it?), I pried it's legs to either side and tilted it up to release the wires
    small171224.jpg

Some simple reassembly later, and one official connector on some replacement Chinese wire
    small173657.jpg

Splicing this onto the controller will be simple